or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 286

post #4276 of 4426

The output impedance (1/8) has to do with damping to prevent perhaps unwanted changes in response in relation to the non-linearities of many headphones' impedance functions across frequency. In other words, many dynamic driver headphones have an impedance bump in the mid-lower bass, and having a high output impedance will boost that area.

 

You can use all of those settings to play with the sound you want... some people like the K7## series out of amps with 60+ ohm output impedances. Keep the gain as low as you can and still get the desired volume levels you need.

post #4277 of 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by theveterans View Post
 

AKG K550 will suit you.

How comfy are they?

post #4278 of 4426

I never owned them as I prefer open headphones. You have to ask in the AKG K550 thread.

post #4279 of 4426

Are the settings W/AM and WO/AM for high/low gain? and W/AM is low gain? Also what is the effect of bypassing the input capacitors, and what would you recommend?

post #4280 of 4426

Idk about the W/AM settings... high gain is gonna be louder that's all I know :P. Bypassing input capacitors means you put a smaller capacitor in parallel with the ones already there. This usually can help smooth out the higher frequency response... capacitors of different sizes have different characteristics at different frequencies. Check in the Ember threads for brands and values... I know a lot of the Bottlehead DIYers really get into capacitor reviews a lot. Mundorfs, ClarityCaps, etc. all get really expensive at the higher voltage values (needed for tubes often, and they sometimes are more even across the hearing range IIRC).

post #4281 of 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR View Post

Um, I looked up that amp and it's an OTL tube amp which is not the kind of amp you really want to use with the K712 for optimal sound.

 

 

 

Well!  I'm using it and it sounds beyond anything I've heard before.  I replaced the main large chinese tube today with that of Russian Svetlana brand and couldn't believe the sound coming out of my K712 pro's.   Also,  the K712 pro's are the kind of cans that better sound you feed it, the better it sounds.


Edited by swifty7 - 2/12/16 at 4:01am
post #4282 of 4426

Got some today to replace the harsh DT990

 

The K712 still has highs but they are much more controlled than the DT990

 

I dont have enough experience to directly compare with other phones but the striking stand out from the DT990 is the sound stage, The sound stage is just on another level individual instruments and sounds are easy to distinguish and the music feels like it has layers now so much depth and that makes it fantastic in games as well.

 

One thing i prefer on the DT990 is the bass, on the K712 it's fairly tight and responsive but on the DT990 it's just more punchy and fun, im sure from an analytic point of view the K712 is probably more controlled but the bass on the DT990 is just silly fun

 

Very happy overall but maybe my ears just arent that well trained yet (only got into this a month ago) but at retail the K712's are £140 more... Im happy paying £40 more than the DT990 (thats what ive done, both used) but i wouldn't stretch to £140 more, diminishing returns maybe

 


Here are some images

 

http://imgur.com/a/5rKVZ

post #4283 of 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke1863 View Post

Got some today to replace the harsh DT990

The K712 still has highs but they are much more controlled than the DT990

I dont have enough experience to directly compare with other phones but the striking stand out from the DT990 is the sound stage, The sound stage is just on another level individual instruments and sounds are easy to distinguish and the music feels like it has layers now so much depth and that makes it fantastic in games as well.

One thing i prefer on the DT990 is the bass, on the K712 it's fairly tight and responsive but on the DT990 it's just more punchy and fun, im sure from an analytic point of view the K712 is probably more controlled but the bass on the DT990 is just silly fun

Very happy overall but maybe my ears just arent that well trained yet (only got into this a month ago) but at retail the K712's are £140 more... Im happy paying £40 more than the DT990 (thats what ive done, both used) but i wouldn't stretch to £140 more, diminishing returns maybe



Here are some images

http://imgur.com/a/5rKVZ
Welcome to the world if Head-Fi! Excellent choice in Headphones. As you inevitably will experience next going down this rabbit hole...... Sorry for your wallet!
post #4284 of 4426


After many time and hearing with AKG K812 Pro, I went to K501 and K712 Pro again.

Comparing with K812, the K712 Pro is a nice headphone with an reasonable pice.

K812 has more detailed indeed, but costs a lot of money more.

Everyone must decide self (after intensive compare hearing) whether it is worth the extra.

post #4285 of 4426

So i really like the sound of the K712 but i have quite a small head and the ear cups start centred on my ears then slowly drop down until they are almost hanging on the top of my ears.

 

Would getting pads that are thicker help stop this? Almost like artificially increaing the clamping force?

 

How about these angled Brainwavez? or will they murder the sound signature? id hate to lose anything from soundstage

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455839329&sr=1-1&keywords=brainwavz+angled

post #4286 of 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiltime View Post
 

Anyone listen to the these headphones through the JDS Labs Element?  Seems like a simple and clean desktop solution that would be easy to carry between home and the office.  

 

I'm actually trying decide between the JDS Labs Element and the Audinst DX1 for the K712 (and DT 770 Pro as secondary pair). Did you get any AMP/DAC combo or are you still trying to decide?

post #4287 of 4426

So random question guys, is it bad to hang these guys by the head band? I'm sure that doing so would increase to overall wear on the elastic right?

post #4288 of 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurNiceGuy View Post
 

So random question guys, is it bad to hang these guys by the head band? I'm sure that doing so would increase to overall wear on the elastic right?

The weight of the headphones isn't really enough to put much strain on the elastic so I think you are safe.  I used to do that with my Q701 and now the K7XX and there are no issues at all.  The suspension headband doesn't even extend for me when I place them on a hanger.

 

You also have the option of hanging them by the rods too if you are concerned at all.  

post #4289 of 4426

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaemonSire View Post
 

The weight of the headphones isn't really enough to put much strain on the elastic so I think you are safe.  I used to do that with my Q701 and now the K7XX and there are no issues at all.  The suspension headband doesn't even extend for me when I place them on a hanger.

 

You also have the option of hanging them by the rods too if you are concerned at all.  

Sweet, I would just hang them from the rods but my X7 doesn't give me enough clearance to do so. Thanks!

 

post #4290 of 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurNiceGuy View Post

Quote:
Sweet, I would just hang them from the rods but my X7 doesn't give me enough clearance to do so. Thanks!

Dude hang them from the rods. I wish I could turn back time like Cher and hang them that way. I think it would help. Just make sure whatever you hang them on is padded so you don't cut up that nice orange paint job

 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread