Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 205

post #3061 of 3450

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to all this.

 

I have for as long as I can remember been using a headset (awful, I know), and I've now come to that point again where it's time to swap it out for something new; only this time, I decided to do a bit of research on the subject instead of just grabbing a new pair of a brand I'm already familiar with from some random local store.

 

The result of all this a sparked interest in the audiophile scene, and the K712 Pro seems like a pretty good place to start. Reason I came here however is because I'm under the assumption that directly connecting these to my computer is going to provide me with some pretty lame results compared to what I could get if I were to use a dac/amp setup of some sort, so I'm basically looking for some advice on that matter. Seeing there are quite a few to choose from, I'll just give you a brief description of what I intend to use the headphones for, which is: Gaming, music, movies and.. just about everything, really. But mainly those three core things.

 

What do you recommend? I'd say go wild, but seeing I'm just entering the scene, lets put a budget limit at $200. I'm all ears for suggestions as far as dac/amp's are concerned.

 

Cheers. c:

post #3062 of 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthatguy View Post
 

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to all this.

 

I have for as long as I can remember been using a headset (awful, I know), and I've now come to that point again where it's time to swap it out for something new; only this time, I decided to do a bit of research on the subject instead of just grabbing a new pair of a brand I'm already familiar with from some random local store.

 

The result of all this a sparked interest in the audiophile scene, and the K712 Pro seems like a pretty good place to start. Reason I came here however is because I'm under the assumption that directly connecting these to my computer is going to provide me with some pretty lame results compared to what I could get if I were to use a dac/amp setup of some sort, so I'm basically looking for some advice on that matter. Seeing there are quite a few to choose from, I'll just give you a brief description of what I intend to use the headphones for, which is: Gaming, music, movies and.. just about everything, really. But mainly those three core things.

 

What do you recommend? I'd say go wild, but seeing I'm just entering the scene, lets put a budget limit at $200. I'm all ears for suggestions as far as dac/amp's are concerned.

 

Cheers. c:

I'm currently using the FiiO E07K and E09K for the Annie and it works great! but as soon as my Micro iDSD came in, I am mostly selling it. 

post #3063 of 3450

The micro iDSD seems aimed at portability. While this sounds great (and it probably is), I'd be using my headphones, plus any dac/amp exclusively at a stationary computer. Wouldn't a non-battery powered device be preferable in that situation?

post #3064 of 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthatguy View Post
 

What do you recommend? I'd say go wild, but seeing I'm just entering the scene, lets put a budget limit at $200. I'm all ears for suggestions as far as dac/amp's are concerned.

 

If you want virtual surround sound for the gaming part, you can get a Creative Sound Blaster Omni and use that as your DAC for the time being and feed the signal out to the amp. It would allow you to get a nicer amp since you can pick up an Omni for around $50. In the future, if you wanted to upgrade your DAC section, you can add it to the chain and still retain the VSS using the Omni's optical out. 

 

Notable amps would be the Schiit Vali/Magni, Objective O2, HIFIMAN EF-A2, or Aune T1. You could also forget about the sound card for now and add one later and just get a capable DAC and amp for now. A Schiit stack (Modi/Magni) or an Aune X1 should do nicely for your budget. 

post #3065 of 3450

Virtual surround sound isn't really important to myself at all. Which one of the Schiit / Aune X1 would work better? Could I get something that's a "big" improvement over either of these if I add but a tiny bit more to the budget (say, $250 instead of $200)? I'm looking for the best solution that I can stick with for awhile.

 

Thanks for all the replies so far!

post #3066 of 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthatguy View Post

The micro iDSD seems aimed at portability. While this sounds great (and it probably is), I'd be using my headphones, plus any dac/amp exclusively at a stationary computer. Wouldn't a non-battery powered device be preferable in that situation?

The Micro iDSD is actually more than that. It's a desktop amp/DAC but it's primary use is portability IMO Spec and tech wise, they seem future proof as well but can't talk about the sound until it arrived.

As for now, the E09K adds warm to the sound and it has the power to drive my Annie. Slight warm, not as warm as the E07K.
post #3067 of 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


The Micro iDSD is actually more than that. It's a desktop amp/DAC but it's primary use is portability IMO Spec and tech wise, they seem future proof as well but can't talk about the sound until it arrived.

As for now, the E09K adds warm to the sound and it has the power to drive my Annie. Slight warm, not as warm as the E07K.

So when you say you use both the E09K and E07K, do you mean you alter between them, or? And if so, which one do you prefer?

post #3068 of 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthatguy View Post

So when you say you use both the E09K and E07K, do you mean you alter between them, or? And if so, which one do you prefer?

The E07K as DAC and E09K as power amp smily_headphones1.gif I do use the E07K as amp and DAC at the same time to drive my lower impedance headphone. That's one thing I like about this combo. I can drive low and high impedance, take the E07K out and I get a portable amplifier while on the to smily_headphones1.gif
post #3069 of 3450

Can't seem to find the E09K for sale in Sweden. Same applies to a couple of the other things suggested here, which is kind of a pity!

post #3070 of 3450
I have plan for selling mine and if you want, I can ship it to you but I kinda broke one of the plastic pin of my adapter for E09K and slight scratches on the E07K screen protector as well.

Or try this link:
http://fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx smily_headphones1.gif

Distributor Portacomp AG
Address Mittlere Bahnhofstrasse 2 8853 Lachen Switzerland
TEL +41 (0)55 451 50 15
FAX +41 (0)55 451 50 16
Email mail@portacomp.ch
Web Site www.portacomp.ch

Distributor UZTORE AB
Address ARBYLUNDSGATAN 5,723 46 VASTERAS,SWEDEN
TEL +46-709-386939
FAX
Email i@uztore.se
Web Site
Edited by BillsonChang007 - 7/18/14 at 6:00am
post #3071 of 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthatguy View Post
 

Can't seem to find the E09K for sale in Sweden. Same applies to a couple of the other things suggested here, which is kind of a pity!

 

What can you find?

post #3072 of 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Mike View Post
 

 

What can you find?

From the looks of it, very little. But by all means, take a peek yourself:

 

http://www.pricerunner.se/

http://www.prisjakt.nu/

 

I know it's in Swedish, but the search bar is really all you need in there.

post #3073 of 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthatguy View Post
 

From the looks of it, very little. But by all means, take a peek yourself:

 

http://www.pricerunner.se/

http://www.prisjakt.nu/

 

I know it's in Swedish, but the search bar is really all you need in there.

 

It looks like you can get an E12 off both sites, but you would still need a DAC. I would send an email/PM to @Kingwa and find out how much shipping is on a NFB-15 and then evaluate if saving up the extra would be worth it. That being said, I don't know all the ins and outs of audio stores or websites in Sweden, so maybe someone else could chime in? You might want to make a general thread on the Headphone Amps section and specify Sweden. 

 

You could also check out the FS section and see if anyone is selling anything in Europe and then work out shipping from there. I don't know how bad customs/import tax will hit you though on either of those options though. 

post #3074 of 3450

Brief bump for someone with knowledge of audio stores / websites in Sweden who could hopefully point me to some dac/amp combo that'll work nicely with the K712 Pro! c:

 

Also, I'll PM Kingwa. Cheers!

post #3075 of 3450
Audio-GD everything. I love their stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread