Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 193

post #2881 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by buson160man View Post
 


I do not know because I am not familiar with the 712s. But being a long time fan and owner of the k701s what headphone amp are you using?

The akgs 701 and 702s share a similar sonic balance. The 701 and 702s are fairly demanding of the driving amplifier powering them . They are very capable with the right amp driving them . I have strayed from using them at times but I keep going back to them. I have lcd 2 v2s but while the audezes have very smooth sonics I find that their soundstage reproduction is not all that great. When I want to hear soundstage I find that the akg 701 is vastly better at soundstage reproduction than the lcd 2 v2s.

   Of the headphone amps I have I like the ray samuels raptor otl with it the sound is quite palpable with the k701s .The akg 701/702 headphones are quite amazing sounding with the right headphone amp driving them .And at the price you can get them at I think they are a astounding bargain .

 

+1

+1

post #2882 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegoat View Post
 

definite sibilance to my ears but I'm not sure if to the same extent. to their credit they do seem to burn in a bit.

 

Ouch, I am a little worried about that to be honest. Especially when listening to acoustic music, as the sibilance with the DT-990s is barely tolerable at times.

 

Should an O2 amp be able to fully drive these headphones?

post #2883 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX47 View Post
 

 

Ouch, I am a little worried about that to be honest. Especially when listening to acoustic music, as the sibilance with the DT-990s is barely tolerable at times.

 

Should an O2 amp be able to fully drive these headphones?

 

ya , but it don't means that it will match your preferences .

post #2884 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX47 View Post
 

 

Ouch, I am a little worried about that to be honest. Especially when listening to acoustic music, as the sibilance with the DT-990s is barely tolerable at times.

 

Should an O2 amp be able to fully drive these headphones?

I wouldn't worry too much.  The K712 isn't bad in that regard in comparison.  I haven't heard the DT-990 but the T1 is more sibilant and ringy than the K712.  The K712 just has the slight peak around 2k which can cause some slight stridency with female vocals on more neutral setups like the O2.  Haven't heard the O2 myself but based on descriptions it should be fine.  My Concero HP drives it nicely and it's not very powerful but clean.

 

If anything, I would say the K712 is more sensitive to the quality of amp and source, than the raw power.  It scales great with upgrades.  Even moving from the Burson Soloist, to the Eddie Current Super 7 but still runs great with the Concero HP, while my S7 is broken.

post #2885 of 3925

IME, with K712's, Austrian K702's, and Chinese K702's, sibilance is not an issue.

 

The O2 will drive any of these easily; its output is 400mw.

 

But with regard to an amp, the points above are well taken: these headphones strongly benefit from quality amplification

(and sourcing, of course).

post #2886 of 3925

Well, I never have purchased an amp before so I purchased the O2 (which should arrive today). I thought it would be best to start with a neutral amp rather than go for one that modifies the sound signature of headphones.

post #2887 of 3925
How much are the K712 pads? Interested in buying one xD
post #2888 of 3925
Deleted.

Edited by zazex - 5/16/14 at 11:15pm
post #2889 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 

Hmm, what were you going to say?

 

With my O2 amp I have, I am not worried about treble/sibilance issues anymore with the AKG k712 if I decide to buy a pair. The O2 really diminished the sibilance of the DT-990s.

post #2890 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX47 View Post
 

Hmm, what were you going to say?

 

With my O2 amp I have, I am not worried about treble/sibilance issues anymore with the AKG k712 if I decide to buy a pair. The O2 really diminished the sibilance of the DT-990s.

 

I was going ask: what are your impressions of the O2?

post #2891 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 

 

I was going ask: what are your impressions of the O2?


Well, since this is my first amp, I am not sure what else to say at this point but it works. The piercing highs which gave me earaches & headaches before have been tamed; I have not had any such issues since I have used the amp. I do not really notice any other major changes to the sound quality, so I would say it is a good amp for a newbie. Plus, its fits well into my small desktop space. Any of the much larger amps would not fit on my desktop.

post #2892 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX47 View Post
 

Hmm, what were you going to say?

 

With my O2 amp I have, I am not worried about treble/sibilance issues anymore with the AKG k712 if I decide to buy a pair. The O2 really diminished the sibilance of the DT-990s.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 

 

I was going ask: what are your impressions of the O2?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX47 View Post
 


Well, since this is my first amp, I am not sure what else to say at this point but it works. The piercing highs which gave me earaches & headaches before have been tamed; I have not had any such issues since I have used the amp. I do not really notice any other major changes to the sound quality, so I would say it is a good amp for a newbie. Plus, its fits well into my small desktop space. Any of the much larger amps would not fit on my desktop.

 

Perhaps the O2 is providing sufficient power (which was absent before) -

and it has cut or tamed various types of distortion (notably clipping distortion) which

were bothering you so much.  Piercing highs and intense sibilance are often

clues to clipping distortion.

 

I'm wondering what source material you're using - perhaps you've indicated, but

I'll pass on reading back several pages ;-) it also might be the cause of this

sonic 'distress' you've been experiencing

post #2893 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grado77 View Post
 

I just received a brand new Beyer T1 ($760) and they are great. I also have HE-500 that are great. What's really impressive is how my K712 hangs right there with the other 2.

 

AKG really nailed it with K712 IMO. They are some of the most balanced cans I've ever listened to, much better than my Q701. I am not a graph reader or believer. Audio is just too subjective and obviously everyone's hearing capability is different.

 

The K712 is stellar with Emotiva MiniX A-100 speaker taps and Lyr too. The bass control is unbelievable. Best AKG I've ever heard.

 

I could easily live with a $380 K712 and $220 MiniX............champagne audio on a beer budget. Great job AKG!

 

I've listened to many headphones at this point and have concluded the point of diminishing returns for my ears is $700, so it's really great to see K712 so strong.

Ha, this post made me pull the trigger on the K712 from Amazon. I had the AKG K550s, and I am newbie, but they didn't cut it, my Sony MK2 blew the K550s away, and it was on bluetooth. Now, looking at the K712 for my first pair of open back headphones, and something to top my  Sony MDR 1RBTMK2..

They ran me out of the AKG K550 Appreciation thread, because I was talking about things I didn't like about the K550s. IMO, and I am an older gent, I would LOVE to hear the bad side of items I am thinking about purchasing. Already know about the good side because I am thinking about buying them. As an older person, I know that, people that care about something, tell you like it is, and that might not be what you want to hear.. 

When I read Amazon's reviews, I always read the 1 and 2 stars to see what they are talking about..

 

Anyway, pulling the trigger big time on these K712, hope my O2+ODAC is strong enough for them.. ;) 

post #2894 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post

As an older person, I know that, people that care about something, tell you like it is, and that might not be what you want to hear.. 
When I read Amazon's reviews, I always read the 1 and 2 stars to see what they are talking

Great advice! smily_headphones1.gif thanks xD
post #2895 of 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post

 

Anyway, pulling the trigger big time on these K712, hope my O2+ODAC is strong enough for them ;)

 

O2+ODAC are strong enough by a large margin , the question is : Will you like this combo ? :p

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread