or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 159

post #2371 of 4641

"The approximate specs are input impedance 100K ohms, output impedance 120 ohms, gain about 15dB into a 300 ohm load like a Sennheiser HD600, max output about 10V into a 300 ohm load". http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php/products/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit

 

So ideally we'd need a 800+ ohm headphone for this to work if we follow 'teh rules'? Clearly the Crack does the job, otherwise nobody would even consider them - there must be other factors at work here :smile:

post #2372 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post

"The approximate specs are input impedance 100K ohms, output impedance 120 ohms, gain about 15dB into a 300 ohm load like a Sennheiser HD600, max output about 10V into a 300 ohm load". http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php/products/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit

So ideally we'd need a 800+ ohm headphone for this to work if we follow 'teh rules'? Clearly the Crack does the job, otherwise nobody would even consider them - there must be other factors at work here smile.gif

Or maybe they are designed for Ortho driver?
post #2373 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

"The approximate specs are input impedance 100K ohms, output impedance 120 ohms, gain about 15dB into a 300 ohm load like a Sennheiser HD600, max output about 10V into a 300 ohm load". http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php/products/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit

 

So ideally we'd need a 800+ ohm headphone for this to work if we follow 'teh rules'? Clearly the Crack does the job, otherwise nobody would even consider them - there must be other factors at work here :smile:

I have a preamp with 100 ohm output impedance, and it sounds fantastic with most of my cans. Sometimes the 1/8 rule doesn't really hold up well to subjective perception.

post #2374 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

I have a preamp with 100 ohm output impedance, and it sounds fantastic with most of my cans. Sometimes the 1/8 rule doesn't really hold up well to subjective perception.

+1 

 

All my current amps are approx 120 ohm output and my 701's sound amazing out of them. The headphone doesn't have much of an impedance curve so they aren't affected. Signs that they are affected would be bloated bass and blurring. They sound controlled with tight bass (as tight as any other hp amp I've tried). I've always thought that the AKG flagships are very power hungry. I remember when I owned both the LCD2 and HE500 at the same time as the K702's and the K's always needed more volume on the hp amps that I owned at the time. (Audio gd, Xcanv3, Asgard)

post #2375 of 4641

JMHO, but the emphasis on output impedance of amps is a little much these days.  As you guys have discovered, not all headphones sound better with super-low output impedance.  Not all headphones sound worse on high output impedance, either.

post #2376 of 4641

There's also the fact that one person's opinion is that it sounds good, whilst another listening to the same setup will say that it's rubbish

Yet, both people listening to the headphones properly driven would say that it was great.

post #2377 of 4641
I personally do not think the AKG K712/Annie is power hungry. They just need more power to sound better. I can drive it to my listening volume with just 50% of my iPhone's max volume..
post #2378 of 4641

 Think you missed the point Wink buddy...  Don't think there is an amp that will drive the HD600 objectively proper. 

post #2379 of 4641

^^ except this is the K712 thread (woops) :biggrin: 


Edited by LugBug1 - 12/6/13 at 3:04pm
post #2380 of 4641
I like the Annie's more intimate tonal characteristics, and if I could I'd buy them again over the K712, but ONLY if the pads were of the newer K712 variety. What I'm hearing of the K712 makes it seem less appealing to my personal preference over the Anniversary.
post #2381 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I like the Annie's more intimate tonal characteristics, and if I could I'd buy them again over the K712, but ONLY if the pads were of the newer K712 variety. What I'm hearing of the K712 makes it seem less appealing to my personal preference over the Anniversary.

I got the Annie based on your review xD enjoying it ever after but I would prefer slightly better instrumental separation from it though IMO
post #2382 of 4641
Then buy some standard k70x pads. wink.gif
post #2383 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Then buy some standard k70x pads. wink.gif

No thanks biggrin.gif I am planning to get a blue cable for just to match the color. biggrin.gif
post #2384 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post
 

There's also the fact that one person's opinion is that it sounds good, whilst another listening to the same setup will say that it's rubbish

Yet, both people listening to the headphones properly driven would say that it was great.


What the heck does that mean?  The whole point is "properly driven."  That doesn't necessarily mean super-low output impedance in every case.  If that were so, neither OTL or transformer-coupled tube amps would ever enter the picture with audiophiles.  Yet they do ... and literally prosper.

 

Technically speaking, it's possible to over-damp.  Every oscillating system will have a critical damping factor.  By definition of a critical point, that means there are scenarios on both sides that are not at the critical point.  IOW, there are under-damped and over-damped scenarios.

 

The entire race for a high damping factor pre-supposes the assumption that every single headphone driver will react the same to ever-increasing damping factors.  It may work in a lot of cases, perhaps even the majority.  Yet, it's also a bit like saying every headphone ever made is the same.

post #2385 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
 


What the heck does that mean?  The whole point is "properly driven."  That doesn't necessarily mean super-low output impedance in every case.  If that were so, neither OTL or transformer-coupled tube amps would ever enter the picture with audiophiles.  Yet they do ... and literally prosper.

 

Technically speaking, it's possible to over-damp.  Every oscillating system will have a critical damping factor.  By definition of a critical point, that means there are scenarios on both sides that are not at the critical point.  IOW, there are under-damped and over-damped scenarios.

 

The entire race for a high damping factor pre-supposes the assumption that every single headphone driver will react the same to ever-increasing damping factors.  It may work in a lot of cases, perhaps even the majority.  Yet, it's also a bit like saying every headphone ever made is the same.


I personally never found the output impedance to matter near as much as people make it out to be. I found as long as the amp gives them satisfactory power and has good synergy with the phone then that's all that really matters with amplification.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread