Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 137

post #2041 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by emertxe View Post
 

 

My only real complaint about them after 3 days of extensive listening is the amount of bass... It's too much to be called neutral. K712 Pro sound very enjoyable with metal, some rock and overly bright music in general. And yeah, I still find them versatile and quite balanced. But going from HD800, these are definitely nowhere as precise and monitor-like.

 

Too much bass in front of me - they just fail to deliver realistic bass guitar, properly imaged in front of me... They rather emanate bass all over the place which prevents other instruments to shine fully. Not as veiled as HD650 and definitely much faster but still, they are far from clarity offered by HD800s.

 

 

 

I'm not sure it's useful to continually compare the K712's with the HD800's, which cost 3 times as much.

 

___________________

 

 

I'll have to disagree with you on the bass issue; I think the bass on the K712 is very much in the neutral range.

post #2042 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 

 

 

 

I'm not sure it's useful to continually compare the K712's with the HD800's, which cost 3 times as much.

 

___________________

 

 

I'll have to disagree with you on the bass issue; I think the bass on the K712 is very much in the neutral range.

 

post #2043 of 3300

As has been discussed over and again here on Head-Fi (and elsewhere),

the Headroom FR graphs can be a useful tool at times.  The information

they convey, however, is certainly not dispositive on any issue.

post #2044 of 3300

Are these worth the extra cash compared to the 702's, mine arrived broke and they didn't look as impressive as the photos, quite cheap in fact.

post #2045 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn758 View Post
 

Are these worth the extra cash compared to the 702's, mine arrived broke and they didn't look as impressive as the photos, quite cheap in fact.

 

Definitely worth even 500USD, IMHO.

post #2046 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by everybest View Post
 

Maracas?  I think I can hear some in the intro though not very clearly.


Yeah it's weird. This sound is not audible on my 598, HD-650 or Q701. On the Q701 you can almost hear it. If it's not on a T1 or HD-800 i'd be shocked.

It's a metallic object bouncing up and down on a table or something and the echos are reflecting off the walls. Of course this is what I think I hear :biggrin:

No it's not resonance from inside the cups of my headphones.

 

It's stupid easy to hear it on my old KRK KNS-8400, DJ100 and somewhat easy on the AKG K400. Not due to lack of bass.

 

I love how some subtle details are not audible on a $250-$400 headphone but I can pick it up on my cheap stuff. Wonder why.

 

I actually find my DJ100 and KRKs more detailed than any other headphone i've heard. The DJ100 is closed so it doesn't have that wide open/airy soundstage. Well, duh.

A DJ100 with M50 pads is pretty close in sound to what a closed modded Q701 would be like.

 

My goal in life is to have an open DJ100 (with the M50 pad sound). You guys must be thinking i'm nuts right about now..

post #2047 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

 

I tried it on K712 + angled pads, and to me that is close enough to the Q701 in sound to get the idea.  I know you will disagree if I don't hear it on a 100% Q701, but whatever. 

 

I don't see how the K712 + angled pads could be "VERY different" from the Q701, because the difference between the K712 and Anniversary is NOT "VERY different".  Therefore the difference between the Q701 (which = Anniversary + angled pads) and K712 + angled pads is also NOT very different. 

 

The mod does make a change, and it does bring up the low bass some, but it's still somewhat subtle IMO. 

 

 

I'm just not one to exaggerate differences between subtle changes in things, whether it bet with two solid-state desktop amps, two opamps, two decent dacs, etc.  If the differences is subtle that's how I'll call it.  I don't get carried away with hyperbole and exaggeration when comparing subtle differences.  You'll notice I use the word "slightly" a whole lot when comparing and reviewing headphones.

Very very interesting!

 

How does the amount of change made by angled-versus-K712-pads compare to the amount of change made by the bass mod? Thanks,

Darren

post #2048 of 3300
I love it when people ask to compare red apples to green apples :P
post #2049 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post
 

Very very interesting!

 

How does the amount of change made by angled-versus-K712-pads compare to the amount of change made by the bass mod? Thanks,

Darren

 

It's a little hard to compare because changing the pads bring changes to the whole signature and adds a warmer fuller tonality to all the frequencies.  The bass mod mainly brings up the very low bass a bit.  It may have a couple small affects on the rest of the frequencies (I thought the mids sounded a tad less full) but the rest of the sound isn't affected as much. 

 

So the pads have more change on the overall sound, and affect all the frequencies.  A Q701 with a bass mod will still be drier and thinner sounding than the K712 in the rest of the frequencies. 

 

If you isolate just the bass, the bass mod applied to a non-K712 may make the very low bass (<25Hz) a bit stronger than the stock K712.  It's hard to say, because I tested the mod on a K712 - and the K712 has slightly more bass than the other AKGs regardless of what pads it's using so it's not a fair comparison.  I'm not sure about the mid bass. 

 

If you want more low bass, play around with the bass mod.  It won't make a Q701 sound like the K712 though.

post #2050 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

 

...may make the very low bass (<25Hz) a bit stronger than the stock K712...

 

<25Hz? Wow, you must have golden ears (to hear any difference with real music)! :basshead: 


Edited by emertxe - 10/18/13 at 4:27pm
post #2051 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by emertxe View Post
 

 

<25Hz? Wow, you must have golden ears (to hear any difference with real music)! :basshead: 

 

I'm saying that even with angled pads on the modded side it still has stronger low bass than the unmodded side but with memory foam pads (and the memory foam pads add bass).

 

Once you put the same pads on both sides and compare the bass differences will be more obvious. 

 

 

Anyways...yes you can hear a difference in music.  Not a huge difference but it's noticeable. 

post #2052 of 3300
Had an amazing session with K712 + Rock 'n Glass amp + 1980's Voskhod tube + Recon3D USB + Tomb Raider (PC) last night. Maybe the game and a few pieces of my setup aren't the most spec-impressive (fmod audio probably being the worst part), but damn it was good! Also, very distinctly heard cues centered in front of me – not between the ears, not over my head, but in front of me, and once a little ambient noise came from behind me and sounded so real that I took my headphones off (and doused the lights) and listened for 10 minutes because I thought my mother was just outside my room and muttering quiet angry words at me. Amazing tonality, and placement of surround cues in a "real" space.

I beat the game, very amazing (love "the instrument" created just for the soundtrack, look up a making of video to see what I'm talking about), I hope Crystal Dynamics doesn't go under and is able to create more Lara Croft adventures!

Also, I'd better never play Amnesia with this setup... I could get sick!
post #2053 of 3300

Finally get to hear a pair, maybe as soon as Saturday!

My Uncle Ernie is sending me a pair to demo. I can't wait! Such a nice guy.

 

I'll probably

 

A) Love them and want to use them instead of my modded Q701 or B) Hate them and think they're no different/better than the Annie.

 

If I don't like them I promise to be nice. Honestly I have a weird feeling I may like them..

 

It'll be interesting to compare them to a modded Q701. So far I don't think anyone has done that at the same time.


Edited by tdockweiler - 10/18/13 at 8:49pm
post #2054 of 3300

Your Uncle Ernie sounds like a real nice guy and an amazing person.

post #2055 of 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Had an amazing session with K712 + Rock 'n Glass amp + 1980's Voskhod tube + Recon3D USB + Tomb Raider (PC) last night. Maybe the game and a few pieces of my setup aren't the most spec-impressive (fmod audio probably being the worst part), but damn it was good! Also, very distinctly heard cues centered in front of me – not between the ears, not over my head, but in front of me, and once a little ambient noise came from behind me and sounded so real that I took my headphones off (and doused the lights) and listened for 10 minutes because I thought my mother was just outside my room and muttering quiet angry words at me. Amazing tonality, and placement of surround cues in a "real" space.

I beat the game, very amazing (love "the instrument" created just for the soundtrack, look up a making of video to see what I'm talking about), I hope Crystal Dynamics doesn't go under and is able to create more Lara Croft adventures!

Also, I'd better never play Amnesia with this setup... I could get sick!
I think its been confirmed there will be a next gen Tomb Raider sequel. So wish granted smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread