Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 127

post #1891 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

 

 

 

I'm just not one to exaggerate differences between subtle changes in things, whether it bet with two solid-state desktop amps, two opamps, two decent dacs, etc.  If the differences is subtle that's how I'll call it.  I don't get carried away with hyperbole and exaggeration when comparing subtle differences.  You'll notice I use the word "slightly" a whole lot when comparing and reviewing headphones.

 

Haha, i'm the same way. Yes, believe it or not. That's why I don't go around saying the ODAC is "way better" than the Modi. Could probably fail a blind test easily. I can barely even tell any difference between my new $250 Micro DAC and the Modi. How lame!

 

But if I ever get the K712 I'm definitely going to test it with the mod and Q701 pads. Chances are that I might even hate the K702 modded.

 

If anyone has a K712 and does the mod I'm sure they'll similar results to what you heard.

 

I would say the modded Q701 is probably a 10% improvement over stock. Better than a silly cable upgrade and it's free.

post #1892 of 3441
Thing is, I don't think I want any more bass on my K712's. But, I still have my Q701s. I have many opportunities, just no time.

I found the upgrade to the K712's coiled cable was a huge upgrade over the puddle of wire at my feet (or strung across the knobs of my desk to take up slack), so that was very nice for me (can't quantify a percent) even though the upgrade was very expensive (because the cable came with a pair of headphones, nice bonus).

Sorta off-topic, two days ago I had someone ask "What percent would an iPhone 5 entertain me?"
Edited by Evshrug - 10/11/13 at 10:08pm
post #1893 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Sorta off-topic, two days ago I had someone ask "What percent would an iPhone 5 entertain me?"

It depends on the games you buy from the appstore. biggrin.gif
post #1894 of 3441

Hello everyone. I had an account here like in 2004 or so but I can't for the life of me remember the login info. I just purchased the K712 as my K501s that I bought new in 2001 are a little tired and I figured I was ready for something new.

 

 

The K712 comes with a (to me) giant bag.

 

[img]http://oi44.tinypic.com/dwox34.jpg[/img]

 

Family shot.

 

[img]http://oi39.tinypic.com/256veo5.jpg[/img]

 

IT looks like image tags might not work since I had to create a new acct :(

post #1895 of 3441

My review of the K-712, please make sure to comment and click that Like button.  Without it, I fade out into nothingness.  Likes sustain me :)

 

Enjoy http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9734

post #1896 of 3441

So can I get some elaborated replies on the "HE-400 vs K712" topic (most interested in the sound)? The HE-400 are my number one headphones at the moment but the K712 are appealing. They are roughly the same price here (HE-400 slightly cheaper).

I can almost bet that they are more comfortable than the HE-400 although I don't really have a problem with them either (they are bulky though - no way around that). The Annies are kind of out of the equation because they're about a 100€ more expensive than the K712 (which is pure madness if you ask me). Only option would be to import from Amazon or something, which adds about 60€ to the price so..

post #1897 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post
 

Hello everyone. I had an account here like in 2004 or so but I can't for the life of me remember the login info. I just purchased the K712 as my K501s that I bought new in 2001 are a little tired and I figured I was ready for something new.

 

 

The K712 comes with a (to me) giant bag.

 

 

 

 

 

Family shot.

 

 

IT looks like image tags might not work since I had to create a new acct :(

 

 

A little help. 

 

Not sure if I like the orange accent, it will go well with my keyboard though.

post #1898 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post
 

Hello everyone. I had an account here like in 2004 or so but I can't for the life of me remember the login info. I just purchased the K712 as my K501s that I bought new in 2001 are a little tired and I figured I was ready for something new.

 

 

The K712 comes with a (to me) giant bag.

 

[img]http://oi44.tinypic.com/dwox34.jpg[/img]

 

Family shot.

 

[img]http://oi39.tinypic.com/256veo5.jpg[/img]

 

IT looks like image tags might not work since I had to create a new acct :(


Sure would be interesting to know what your impressions are of the K712 compared to the K501 :wink_face:

post #1899 of 3441

Thanks for the help with the quote loop hole!

 

Quinto, I can only give you a preliminary opinion, I have 12 years of listening to the 501s and about 4hr on the 712s haha, I did A/B them today after taking those photos. I had listened to the K/Q 701 in a quiet room when I visited Japan earlier this year, and they just sounded sterile (I guess? Can't really pinpoint it.. I just didn't feel em) to me. As I said, I have listened to the HD800/T1/LCD2/etc. and they just didn't scream "you MUST buy these your 501s just don't do it anymore" (ok the HD800s almost did, but the cost/gain for me isn't worth the asking price).

 

I WAS looking for something different and more lively than my 501s though, they aren't going anywhere. I really thought that something like 650s would do it but they come off as too aggressive for my tastes..... when I read about the Aniversary models and the k712, I figured a more "lively" AKG would do it, and so far I think that's just what I needed. These will be used at work after all, I do more critical listening on my bigger stereo setup.

 

So as to what I found in my short A/B test today. Well the k712 does have a bit more low end, no surprises there. The 712 really does seem to give you what's in the recording.... if the recording has some sibilance, you'll get some sibilance. This is a good thing to me, my philosophy on audio is that I want to hear what the recording engineers heard. I find the overall balance fair, these still don't have "gobs" of bass but I obviously haven't wanted for it these past 12 years. Where I was most impressed was during a drum roll in a song (forgot what one lol).... there was more impact coming from the toms then I was expecting.

 

How the k501 compares was pretty interesting to me. There was more instrument separation, for instance I was listening to a Stevie Ray Vaughn track and when I switched from the 712 to the 501, I was hit with the organ, I thought to myself "oh there's a Hammond organ there, I totally didn't notice it in the 712!". I also felt things like snare drums had more "snap" from the 501. The delivery in the midrange and highs really seem smoother on the 501 to me at this point. Silky smooth and non fatiguing. Like, I don't think fatigue will ever be an issue with the 712, but.... well I could (and have) had the 501s on my head for over 8hr at a time and my ears/mind/soul never feel tired. Ever....but the "more lively" k712 might not be so kind for a marathon like that.

 

I don't know if those insights will mean much to you. Audio is so personal to me, I never felt like arguing about it got you anywhere.... we hear what we can hear. I'd give you thoughts on sound staging but I have a hard time with that in headphones, I feel like I've spoiled myself years and years ago listening to B&W 801s in a properly setup and sound treated room. I'll never get that close to hearing a full size grand piano in front of me out of a recording.... I don't have the money or desire to build a purpose built room like that.... but knowing what you CAN achieve is pretty amazing.


Edited by Muinarc - 10/12/13 at 2:14pm
post #1900 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post
 

Thanks for the help with the quote loop hole!

 

Quinto, I can only give you a preliminary opinion, I have 12 years of listening to the 501s and about 4hr on the 712s haha, I did A/B them today after taking those photos. I had listened to the K/Q 701 in a quiet room when I visited Japan earlier this year, and they just sounded sterile (I guess? Can't really pinpoint it.. I just didn't feel em) to me. As I said, I have listened to the HD800/T1/LCD2/etc. and they just didn't scream "you MUST buy these your 501s just don't do it anymore" (ok the HD800s almost did, but the cost/gain for me isn't worth the asking price).

 

I WAS looking for something different and more lively than my 501s though, they aren't going anywhere. I really thought that something like 650s would do it but they come off as too aggressive for my tastes..... when I read about the Aniversary models and the k712, I figured a more "lively" AKG would do it, and so far I think that's just what I needed. These will be used at work after all, I do more critical listening on my bigger stereo setup.

 

So as to what I found in my short A/B test today. Well the k712 does have a bit more low end, no surprises there. The 712 really does seem to give you what's in the recording.... if the recording has some sibilance, you'll get some sibilance. This is a good thing to me, my philosophy on audio is that I want to hear what the recording engineers heard. I find the overall balance fair, these still don't have "gobs" of bass but I obviously haven't wanted for it these past 12 years. Where I was most impressed was during a drum roll in a song (forgot what one lol).... there was more impact coming from the toms then I was expecting.

 

How the k501 compares was pretty interesting to me. There was more instrument separation, for instance I was listening to a Stevie Ray Vaughn track and when I switched from the 712 to the 501, I was hit with the organ, I thought to myself "oh there's a Hammond organ there, I totally didn't notice it in the 712!". I also felt things like snare drums had more "snap" from the 501. The delivery in the midrange and highs really seem smoother on the 501 to me at this point. Silky smooth and non fatiguing. Like, I don't think fatigue will ever be an issue with the 712, but.... well I could (and have) had the 501s on my head for over 8hr at a time and my ears/mind/soul never feel tired. Ever....but the "more lively" k712 might not be so kind for a marathon like that.

 

I don't know if those insights will mean much to you. Audio is so personal to me, I never felt like arguing about it got you anywhere.... we hear what we can hear. I'd give you thoughts on sound staging but I have a hard time with that in headphones, I feel like I've spoiled myself years and years ago listening to B&W 801s in a properly setup and sound treated room. I'll never get that close to hearing a full size grand piano in front of me out of a recording.... I don't have the money or desire to build a purpose built room like that.... but knowing what you CAN achieve is pretty amazing.


I'm listening to my K501 a lot for years, my Grado GS1000 don't get that much headtime, only with piano and some strings.. I wonder if the mid range on the 712 will get better over time..cause I was hoping for a sort of 501 midrange on the 712, but with more detail in general and better bass.. silly me?  Maybe I'll go for the HD600, cause I'm gonna wear these phones for hours during work and I want to be sure that besides good SQ, I wouldn't get any listening fatigue..

 

I 'm very happy with my speaker set up myself but during daytime work it's not an option

 

Thanks for your reply, maybe you can let me know if there are any changes over time..Enjoy! :L3000:

post #1901 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post
 

Thanks for the help with the quote loop hole!

 

Quinto, I can only give you a preliminary opinion, I have 12 years of listening to the 501s and about 4hr on the 712s haha, I did A/B them today after taking those photos. I had listened to the K/Q 701 in a quiet room when I visited Japan earlier this year, and they just sounded sterile (I guess? Can't really pinpoint it.. I just didn't feel em) to me. As I said, I have listened to the HD800/T1/LCD2/etc. and they just didn't scream "you MUST buy these your 501s just don't do it anymore" (ok the HD800s almost did, but the cost/gain for me isn't worth the asking price).

 

I WAS looking for something different and more lively than my 501s though, they aren't going anywhere. I really thought that something like 650s would do it but they come off as too aggressive for my tastes..... when I read about the Aniversary models and the k712, I figured a more "lively" AKG would do it, and so far I think that's just what I needed. These will be used at work after all, I do more critical listening on my bigger stereo setup.

 

So as to what I found in my short A/B test today. Well the k712 does have a bit more low end, no surprises there. The 712 really does seem to give you what's in the recording.... if the recording has some sibilance, you'll get some sibilance. This is a good thing to me, my philosophy on audio is that I want to hear what the recording engineers heard. I find the overall balance fair, these still don't have "gobs" of bass but I obviously haven't wanted for it these past 12 years. Where I was most impressed was during a drum roll in a song (forgot what one lol).... there was more impact coming from the toms then I was expecting.

 

How the k501 compares was pretty interesting to me. There was more instrument separation, for instance I was listening to a Stevie Ray Vaughn track and when I switched from the 712 to the 501, I was hit with the organ, I thought to myself "oh there's a Hammond organ there, I totally didn't notice it in the 712!". I also felt things like snare drums had more "snap" from the 501. The delivery in the midrange and highs really seem smoother on the 501 to me at this point. Silky smooth and non fatiguing. Like, I don't think fatigue will ever be an issue with the 712, but.... well I could (and have) had the 501s on my head for over 8hr at a time and my ears/mind/soul never feel tired. Ever....but the "more lively" k712 might not be so kind for a marathon like that.

 

I don't know if those insights will mean much to you. Audio is so personal to me, I never felt like arguing about it got you anywhere.... we hear what we can hear. I'd give you thoughts on sound staging but I have a hard time with that in headphones, I feel like I've spoiled myself years and years ago listening to B&W 801s in a properly setup and sound treated room. I'll never get that close to hearing a full size grand piano in front of me out of a recording.... I don't have the money or desire to build a purpose built room like that.... but knowing what you CAN achieve is pretty amazing.

 

I think the K702.65AE I have is a small, but noticeable, step down in detail extraction from the Q701. The K501 are a really neat headphone. I'd keep them around. If you're really in love with them, I'd doubt any other current AKG offering will really impress you. 

post #1902 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamics View Post
 

How is the bass on these headphones?  Does it come close to Denon D7000 or other headphones which are known for their good bass?

 

Bass was the only reason I got rid of the AGK 702s.

 

I have HE-500 and Denon D7000 right now.  I am thinking of getting rid of the HE-500 due to comfort issues and also on some tracks they sound a bit lean, and I have to crank them up for it to sound good to my ears.  But then it's a little too loud for me.

 

I might sell my Denon D7000 too and just stick to one pair of headphones.  I am considering the AKG 712 Pro.


The bass is on the K712's is tight clean and very there. 

But in quantity it doesn't come close to the D7000 or similar bass-famous headphones.

 

With the K712's you'll get more bass than the K702's,

but you might miss the size of the presentation, i.e. the K712's soundstage

is smaller than the K702's.

 

Still, overall, I like the K712's more than the K702's.

 

Another really fine headphone for you to consider if

bass is very important to you = Philips X1.  Not quite

as pinpoint accurate and refined as the K712's, but

more bass. 

post #1903 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post
 

Thanks for the help with the quote loop hole!

 

Quinto, I can only give you a preliminary opinion, I have 12 years of listening to the 501s and about 4hr on the 712s haha, I did A/B them today after taking those photos. I had listened to the K/Q 701 in a quiet room when I visited Japan earlier this year, and they just sounded sterile (I guess? Can't really pinpoint it.. I just didn't feel em) to me. As I said, I have listened to the HD800/T1/LCD2/etc. and they just didn't scream "you MUST buy these your 501s just don't do it anymore" (ok the HD800s almost did, but the cost/gain for me isn't worth the asking price).

 

I WAS looking for something different and more lively than my 501s though, they aren't going anywhere. I really thought that something like 650s would do it but they come off as too aggressive for my tastes..... when I read about the Aniversary models and the k712, I figured a more "lively" AKG would do it, and so far I think that's just what I needed. These will be used at work after all, I do more critical listening on my bigger stereo setup.

 

So as to what I found in my short A/B test today. Well the k712 does have a bit more low end, no surprises there. The 712 really does seem to give you what's in the recording.... if the recording has some sibilance, you'll get some sibilance. This is a good thing to me, my philosophy on audio is that I want to hear what the recording engineers heard. I find the overall balance fair, these still don't have "gobs" of bass but I obviously haven't wanted for it these past 12 years. Where I was most impressed was during a drum roll in a song (forgot what one lol).... there was more impact coming from the toms then I was expecting.

 

How the k501 compares was pretty interesting to me. There was more instrument separation, for instance I was listening to a Stevie Ray Vaughn track and when I switched from the 712 to the 501, I was hit with the organ, I thought to myself "oh there's a Hammond organ there, I totally didn't notice it in the 712!". I also felt things like snare drums had more "snap" from the 501. The delivery in the midrange and highs really seem smoother on the 501 to me at this point. Silky smooth and non fatiguing. Like, I don't think fatigue will ever be an issue with the 712, but.... well I could (and have) had the 501s on my head for over 8hr at a time and my ears/mind/soul never feel tired. Ever....but the "more lively" k712 might not be so kind for a marathon like that.

 

I don't know if those insights will mean much to you. Audio is so personal to me, I never felt like arguing about it got you anywhere.... we hear what we can hear. I'd give you thoughts on sound staging but I have a hard time with that in headphones, I feel like I've spoiled myself years and years ago listening to B&W 801s in a properly setup and sound treated room. I'll never get that close to hearing a full size grand piano in front of me out of a recording.... I don't have the money or desire to build a purpose built room like that.... but knowing what you CAN achieve is pretty amazing.

Agreed; audio is very personal.

 

Speakers and headphones are such different listening experiences,

that I find it's sort of easy to keep them separated.

 

I've was also fortunate enough to listen to B&W 801's properly voiced -

for about a year some time back, as well as other great speaker setups,

in recording studios and other situations; but I can still hear the difference

in soundstage between various headphones.

 

Similarly, hearing the phenomenal accuracy of certain speakers like

Rogers LS35A's, Quad Electrostatics and others doesn't prevent my

hearing differences in accuracy between various headphones.  Instead,

it just provides a reference of sorts.

 

 

 

But as you say: knowing what can be achieved is pretty amazing,

even overwhelming at times. 

post #1904 of 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittis View Post

So can I get some elaborated replies on the "HE-400 vs K712" topic (most interested in the sound)? The HE-400 are my number one headphones at the moment but the K712 are appealing. They are roughly the same price here (HE-400 slightly cheaper).
I can almost bet that they are more comfortable than the HE-400 although I don't really have a problem with them either (they are bulky though - no way around that). The Annies are kind of out of the equation because they're about a 100€ more expensive than the K712 (which is pure madness if you ask me). Only option would be to import from Amazon or something, which adds about 60€ to the price so..
My personal opinion, the HE400 (with Velour pads) had really sucked out mids compared to the Q701. If you like mids at all, I would just stay away from the HE400, it actually bothered me until I hook them up to my tube amp with a tube that emphasized mid range. The soundstage of the HE 400 was nothing to write home about, either. On the plus side, the HE 400 had really clean and very punchy base when it's amped well... But personally, I would choose the K712 all the way.

Season to taste.
post #1905 of 3441

3-5khz isn't the only area of audio that encompasses the mids.  250-2500hz is well represented on the HE-400.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread