Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 111

post #1651 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

I think he was basically saying that orthos just handle very high volumes better than dynamics do. I could be wrong though.

Apparently orthos don't have the improved transparency and accuracy that electrostats have? I was kind of assuming they did, at least somewhat, but apparently not because if they did I don't see how anyone out there could claim they are no better than a dynamic headphone, regardless of which one you're comparing them to. The Stax I demo'ed had an accuracy about them that dynamics are simply incapable of. Its kind of a bummer that orthos apparently aren't the same way.
Everything changes with the stax. The speed, clarity and separation is just superior.
Edited by Dafo - 9/26/13 at 1:05pm
post #1652 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafo View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post

was that refering to distortion or  because the highs are more tamed?
The he500 can handle more power that's all, but then again the k701 performs better at low volume.

 

I think given an amplifier that can swing enough voltage the HE-500 performs better at lower volumes than the K701

post #1653 of 4960

Hi, I am a bit of an AKG old timer with my 240DFs and I am looking for a modern AKG to try / possible replacement.  I am happy impedance has changed in that time (have amps to deal with that) and I would like to have changeable cable / leads. Is this 712 the modern equivalent I should be looking at or another model? These latest AKGs seem to multiple variants of the same thing! I am consious that there are often domestic and pro models. Thanks for any thoughts.

post #1654 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Rhodes View Post
 

Hi, I am a bit of an AKG old timer with my 240DFs and I am looking for a modern AKG to try / possible replacement.  I am happy impedance has changed in that time (have amps to deal with that) and I would like to have changeable cable / leads. Is this 712 the modern equivalent I should be looking at or another model? These latest AKGs seem to multiple variants of the same thing! I am consious that there are often domestic and pro models. Thanks for any thoughts.

 

Does the 240DF sound anything like the K240 S?  Because I think the K240 S and the K712 share somewhat similar tonalities. 


Edited by chicolom - 9/26/13 at 2:45pm
post #1655 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

I think given an amplifier that can swing enough voltage the HE-500 performs better at lower volumes than the K701

+1

post #1656 of 4960

Voltage, or current?

post #1657 of 4960

I updated my review of the K712 Pro  with a subjective comparison between it and the HE-500.

post #1658 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post
 

I updated my review of the K712 Pro  with a subjective comparison between it and the HE-500.

 

I have to take your word "subjective" seriously. 

 

You are almost making me regret committing to an he-500 purchase(though it will resell easily with more than enough for an akg k712). The way you describe it sounds like it would communicate drums with more "stand-out" factor than the he-500, thus lending itself to be the more upbeat and engaging headphone.

 

One thing though, how is it that a headphone with such strong treble is previously mentioned on here as being the least sibilant headphone they know???... that same person having heard the rolled off hd650. Maybe they are not sensitive to treble.

 

That is my only caution because I am not a treble head. Momentum treble is just enough for me.

 

Faded drums would be an assumptive conclusion from your thread. You also say that its sub-bass is stronger than the he-500. If I listen to reggae, hip hop, soul, and jazz mostly it seems like the aka would win. 

 

Though you tried to give the he-500 somethings over the k712 you didn't give it much. My hopes is that the Alpha dog(the headphone I am using to give the he-500 company) can do the same things with the drums and come close to instrument separation. 

post #1659 of 4960

^man i type too much :o

post #1660 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

^man i type too much :o

 

and you took what he said about the HE500 seriously?  The guy is known for having a very "subjective" mouth. ;) 

post #1661 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

 

I have to take your word "subjective" seriously. 

 

You are almost making me regret committing to an he-500 purchase(though it will resell easily with more than enough for an akg k712). The way you describe it sounds like it would communicate drums with more "stand-out" factor than the he-500, thus lending itself to be the more upbeat and engaging headphone.

 

One thing though, how is it that a headphone with such strong treble is previously mentioned on here as being the least sibilant headphone they know???... that same person having heard the rolled off hd650. Maybe they are not sensitive to treble.

 

That is my only caution because I am not a treble head. Momentum treble is just enough for me.

 

Faded drums would be an assumptive conclusion from your thread. You also say that its sub-bass is stronger than the he-500. If I listen to reggae, hip hop, soul, and jazz mostly it seems like the aka would win. 

 

Though you tried to give the he-500 somethings over the k712 you didn't give it much. My hopes is that the Alpha dog(the headphone I am using to give the he-500 company) can do the same things with the drums and come close to instrument separation. 

yes, the AD can do that just like and as well as your HE500 can,  subjectively with just a touch less feel cuz of a smaller driver in comparison to your HE500.

post #1662 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

 

Does the 240DF sound anything like the K240 S?  Because I think the K240 S and the K712 share somewhat similar tonalities. 

 

That's good to hear..because I always loved the K240 Studio for the price.

The bass on mine didn't seem so bloated after months of use. Not sure what happened.

 

Those are only $99 and almost never suggested for some reason!

 

I actually found the K240 Studio to sound better than the Sextette I had. Not sure what the DF sounds like.

post #1663 of 4960

I also not sure how the DF compares with the other 240 models but am facinated how the 712 stands in the grande scheme of things. I always liked the 500 lots so if in the same class that is high praise indeed.

post #1664 of 4960

I don't frequent here too much but the last 50 pages or so have really helped me out in deciding whether to purchase the K712 or not.  I'm thinking about this purchase as an upgrade, so I'll be selling my K702s to help buffer the cost.

 

The K712s came in today and I need to spend more time with it but so far I'm really liking it.  I took some hi-res photos and thought I'd share if anybody is interested.

 

 

 

 

 

post #1665 of 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

yes, the AD can do that just like and as well as your HE500 can,  subjectively with just a touch less feel cuz of a smaller driver in comparison to your HE500.

 

I meant hopes that the AD can do drums with the impact that NA Blur described the k712 to possess. but no worries I get your point.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 9/26/13 at 11:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread