Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Closed Headphones under $150 (preferably on amazon.com)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Closed Headphones under $150 (preferably on amazon.com)

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 

Hi, I'm new to headphones and I was looking for a pair that would be good to use with mostly my Macbook Pro and my Samsung Galaxy S3. I've heard a lot of good things about the Sony MDR-7506 and the Audio Technica M50s. I just wondering if any of you guys recommended other options.

 

I listen to all types of music and also want the headphones to be closed and able to be worn in public without it looking insanely big.

 

Thanks guys!

post #2 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdl83 View Post

Hi, I'm new to headphones and I was looking for a pair that would be good to use with mostly my Macbook Pro and my Samsung Galaxy S3. I've heard a lot of good things about the Sony MDR-7506 and the Audio Technica M50s. I just wondering if any of you guys recommended other options.

 

I listen to all types of music and also want the headphones to be closed and able to be worn in public without it looking insanely big.

 

Thanks guys!

The M50's are good choice, and they are on sale for $109 on Amazon

 

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

post #3 of 47

if you can bump up your budget a tiny bit, you can find some Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro for around $180. I love my pair :)

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1365413482&sr=8-1&keywords=dt770

post #4 of 47
Thread Starter 

I was just wondering, regarding the M50, is it too big to wear outside? Is it more suited to inside use?

post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdl83 View Post

I was just wondering, regarding the M50, is it too big to wear outside? Is it more suited to inside use?

Yes the M50 is pretty chunky for outside use. I remember wearing them once and it just felt weird.

I would recommend you try the Scosche RH1056m or RH1056md instead since its sounds a bit better to me compared to the M50 and plus its very portable for outside use.
post #6 of 47

I would recommend the V6 over the 7506. The 7506 just gives you a better plug and warranty. V6 is nearly identical to the 7506, save some cash and get it instead. 

 

As for recommendations, what do you listen to? What do you want from the headphone? 

post #7 of 47
Also look into the KRK KNS-8400 and the Shure SRH-840. If you want something more portable the V-MODA M-80 is a great option as well.
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Also look into the KRK KNS-8400 and the Shure SRH-840. If you want something more portable the V-MODA M-80 is a great option as well.

 

The 8400's have a sound signature that not everyone likes, some find it lacking on bass and the Shure's can be a pain if you wear them for more than one hour. 

 

+ 1 on the Vmoda though. 

post #9 of 47

   Koss pro dj 100 .  About $80 , with lifetime warranty

 against any kind of problem.

post #10 of 47

The sony mdr-zx700 is a great headphone. It's a little under-appreciated cuz I normally use my jaycar fischer audio clones but I've loaned em out and gone back to the sony. Beautiful sounding headphone.

post #11 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkAwesome View Post

I would recommend the V6 over the 7506. The 7506 just gives you a better plug and warranty. V6 is nearly identical to the 7506, save some cash and get it instead. 

 

As for recommendations, what do you listen to? What do you want from the headphone? 

I listen to all types of music, from rap and hip hop to rock and acoustic. I just want a versatile pair of headphones that will suit most music styles as well as can be used for movies. Portability would be good but not necessary. I was hoping for something with a decent soundstage as well.

post #12 of 47
I think the SRH 840 would do you good personally. If you don't need isolation, the Creative Aurvana Live is superb, especially at the price. It shares the same drivers as the D1000, which I own and prefer over the M50s. And again if you want more portability, the M-80 is a nice option for your genres.

The V6, and KRK may be too bright in the treble for rap/hip hop.
post #13 of 47

When I worked at London Drugs (department store) we had a pair of SRH 840's out for demo, and to my surprise, they handled everything I threw at them very well. Although the soundstage wasn't the best on the planet, they are precise and are rather neutral.

post #14 of 47

If it were me I'd be SRH440, or MDR-V6.  Having owned both, the SRH440 is a little flatter sounding with a wider soundstage but it's more heavy and less comfortable.  If I was forced at gunpoint to pick one over the other I wouldn't lose any sleep.

 

Other honorable mentions include Senn HD280, ATH-M50, SRH840 and DT770 (the latter which can be a tad expensive).  Just be weary of the possible high impedance of the DT770 if you go there. 
 

post #15 of 47

I have gotten a pair of JVC HA-500-Z for 57 dollars on ebay recently and to me they sound 10 times better than the ATH-M50. Very good detail and very portable too.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread

 

They sound better than a few headphones I have.... Sennheiser HD598, AKG K272 MKII... but they cost 4 times less.

 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Victor-JVC-Carbon-Nanotube-Stereo-Headphones-HA-S500-Z-Black-Metallic-/140952872198?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item20d1722506


Edited by inasafeplace - 4/10/13 at 4:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Closed Headphones under $150 (preferably on amazon.com)