or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) - Page 2

post #16 of 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post

They're in stock in a local store, along with Senn Momentum, some Audio Technica cans, PSB M4U 1/2, and I hope to find the MDR-R1's as well. I'll report back next week.

 

Excellent.

I still haven't taken out time to compare all of them (right now I have at home the Momentums, PSB M4U1, KEF M500, etc.)

 

I DO have to say that I have enjoyed them a whole lot and in fact, I think I HAVE USED THEM MORE than the aforementioned cans!

 

Let us know how you like 'em!

post #17 of 3160

Interestingly I'm also looking at the $50 Superlux 662F's... I think I'll order them, see how they sound, then compare with the headphones costing 2-4 times as much!

post #18 of 3160

I was bored looking at some unrelated things and found this review:

 

http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2013/08/yamaha-hph-mt220-monitoring-headphones-review/

 

Mostly agree with their assessment!

These are keepers for me!

post #19 of 3160
These headphones are great for their price. Yet another obscure and great product overlooked by head-fi.
post #20 of 3160

Completely agree!

In fact, they have become my most used headphones at home even though I have a few more (including my modded Denon D5000/Mad Dogs/Ultrasone Signature DJ/etc.).

post #21 of 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Completely agree!
In fact, they have become my most used headphones at home even though I have a few more (including my modded Denon D5000/Mad Dogs/Ultrasone Signature DJ/etc.).

How do they compare to the Signature DJs?
post #22 of 3160

Sig DJs are definitely more "colored", especially in the bass section BUT these Yamaha's are actually no slouch when playing tracks with lots of bass/sub-bass. Sig DJs are a bit more detailed as well and their sound stage is bigger/wider. Also, and a BIG plus, the Sig DJs does NOT produce any type of hissing (i.e. it seems it's not "boosted up") as the Yammies do!

 

The Sig DJs and MDs are basically my favorite headphones as of now and the ones I use most often at work!)

 

Sound Quality (overall): Sig DJs > Mad Dogs > Yamaha

Sound Quality (Bass Quality): Sig DJs > Mad Dogs > Yamaha

Sound Quality (Bass Quantity): Sig DJs > Yamaha > Mad Dogs (somehow, the more faster response from the Yamaha's make the bass slam more and seem more energetic)

Sound Quality (Mids): Mad Dogs > Yamaha > Sig DJs (all of these produce clear sounding mids, the QUANTITY just vary per headphone with the Sig DJs being just a bit recessed but not too much to hate it with acoustic/guitar-driven/vocal tracks.

Sound Quality (Highs): Sig DJs > Mad Dogs == Yamaha (I "tied" the MDs and Yammies because the MDs being a "warmer" headphone sometimes give the illusion of lacking a bit of air and even detail up-top... The Yamaha's with the slight bump, provide enough detail BUT that "hiss" sometimes gets me. I thought it was something in my chain, maybe even the tracks I tested, but no, I'm pretty sure there's a bump up-high that's making it more noticeable!)

Comfort: Mad Dogs > Yamaha > Sig DJs --> even though my ears touch the driver enclosing on the Yamaha's, they feel better... The Sig DJs I have to accommodate (re-adjust) a couple of times.

Value: Mad Dogs == Yamaha > Sig DJs

 

These Yamaha kind of remind me of Shure SRH940s just ... BETTER! (surprisingly... I LOVE Shure offerings...)

post #23 of 3160

I had a listen to these today, they were quite impressive, even straight from the box with little to no burn in. I was using my phone as a source - Galaxy S4, as I just want something "pretty good" for work, I have a full sized setup at home - LCD.

 

Bass extension and impact was excellent without being too strong. The highs were good, good detail and clarity.

 

The problem to my ears was the midrange sounded recessed and lacked clarity, which was the main drawback of these headphones. I've asked the very helpful guy in the store to burn them in a bit for me, I'll go back in a week or two and try them out. I probably wouldn't get them with the recessed mids, but if they come out a bit they'll be an excellent headphone at a great price.

 

Comfort was good, and they're quite light. They're plastic, but good solid plastic, build quality's good. I don't like the coiled cord and the cord isn't detachable. They're a bit retro looking, but they're ok.

 

Has anyone else found the mids a bit recessed and lacking detail? Did this get better with some burn in?


Edited by commando - 8/30/13 at 9:27pm
post #24 of 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post

I had a listen to these today, 
they were quite impressive, even straight from the box with little to no burn in. Bass extension and impact was excellent without being too strong. The highs were good, good detail and clarity.


The problem to my ears was the midrange sounded recessed and lacked clarity, which was the main drawback of these headphones. I've asked the very helpful guy in the store to burn them in a bit for me, I'll go back in a week or two and try them out. I probably wouldn't get them with the recessed mids, but if they come out a bit they'll be an excellent headphone at a great price.


Comfort was good, and they're quite light. They're plastic, but good solid plastic, build quality's good. I don't like the coiled cord and the cord isn't detachable. They're a bit retro looking, but they're ok.


Has anyone else found the mids a bit recessed and lacking detail? Did this get better with some burn in?

From the FR graph they seem W shaped so the upper mids are more forward I think. In very impressed by these headphones which are a bargain at their asking price. I have found that vocals are a tad dry and obviously not as emphasised as the bass or treble. The mids are not as recessed as some other headphones. Also, it could be the amp you heard then on cos when I demoed then i store they were playing out of a Marantz SACD player ehich made them sound V shaped to me. Out of my AHA 120 they sound more balanced and the mids are very present.
post #25 of 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Sig DJs are definitely more "colored", especially in the bass section BUT these Yamaha's are actually no slouch when playing tracks with lots of bass/sub-bass. Sig DJs are a bit more detailed as well and their sound stage is bigger/wider. Also, and a BIG plus, the Sig DJs does NOT produce any type of hissing (i.e. it seems it's not "boosted up") as the Yammies do!

The Sig DJs and MDs are basically my favorite headphones as of now and the ones I use most often at work!)

Sound Quality (overall): Sig DJs > Mad Dogs > Yamaha
Sound Quality (Bass Quality): Sig DJs > Mad Dogs > Yamaha
Sound Quality (Bass Quantity): Sig DJs > Yamaha > Mad Dogs (somehow, the more faster response from the Yamaha's make the bass slam more and seem more energetic)
Sound Quality (Mids): Mad Dogs > Yamaha > Sig DJs (all of these produce clear sounding mids, the QUANTITY just vary per headphone with the Sig DJs being just a bit recessed but not too much to hate it with acoustic/guitar-driven/vocal tracks.
Sound Quality (Highs): Sig DJs > Mad Dogs == Yamaha (I "tied" the MDs and Yammies because the MDs being a "warmer" headphone sometimes give the illusion of lacking a bit of air and even detail up-top... The Yamaha's with the slight bump, provide enough detail BUT that "hiss" sometimes gets me. I thought it was something in my chain, maybe even the tracks I tested, but no, I'm pretty sure there's a bump up-high that's making it more noticeable!)
Comfort: Mad Dogs > Yamaha > Sig DJs --> even though my ears touch the driver enclosing on the Yamaha's, they feel better... The Sig DJs I have to accommodate (re-adjust) a couple of times.
Value: Mad Dogs == Yamaha > Sig DJs

These Yamaha kind of remind me of Shure SRH940s just ... BETTER! (surprisingly... I LOVE Shure offerings...)

Have you heard the Denon HP700s? Im trying to decide between the two.
post #26 of 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post


From the FR graph they seem W shaped so the upper mids are more forward I think. In very impressed by these headphones which are a bargain at their asking price. I have found that vocals are a tad dry and obviously not as emphasised as the bass or treble. The mids are not as recessed as some other headphones. Also, it could be the amp you heard then on cos when I demoed then i store they were playing out of a Marantz SACD player ehich made them sound V shaped to me. Out of my AHA 120 they sound more balanced and the mids are very present.

 

Edited to add I was using my Galaxy S4 phone. I know it's not a great source, but I want something closed and fun sounding for work, to compliment my LCD2/PPA/DAC at home. They had a DAC/amp at the store, I'll try them out of that next time.

 

Recessed mids you can EQ, it's the lack of clarity that wasn't great to my ear. Actually it's difficult to EQ a phone, all the software I've tried bites.

post #27 of 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post

Edited to add I was using my Galaxy S4 phone. I know it's not a great source, but I want something closed and fun sounding for work, to compliment my LCD2/PPA/DAC at home. They had a DAC/amp at the store, I'll try them out of that next time.

Recessed mids you can EQ, it's the lack of clarity that wasn't great to my ear. Actually it's difficult to EQ a phone, all the software I've tried bites.

I'd definitely say its your source letting you down.
post #28 of 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post


Have you heard the Denon HP700s? Im trying to decide between the two.

 

Nope.

Did not get them because I have read that they were uncomfortable! ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
 

 

Edited to add I was using my Galaxy S4 phone. I know it's not a great source, but I want something closed and fun sounding for work, to compliment my LCD2/PPA/DAC at home. They had a DAC/amp at the store, I'll try them out of that next time.

 

Recessed mids you can EQ, it's the lack of clarity that wasn't great to my ear. Actually it's difficult to EQ a phone, all the software I've tried bites.

 

I haven't experienced recessed mids actually. Upper mids seem to be a bit more bumped so maybe that's why lower mids might sound "recessed" but it doesn't really bother me nor retracts from my enjoyment. (running mine through NuForce Icon HDP DAC section and Lehman BCL amp).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post


I'd definitely say its your source letting you down.

 

It could be... but if he's used to how his source sounds with other headphones, he might just not like the signature of these Yammies...

 

Just as a note though, I was disappointed when using the headphone out of my Nokia 920 and Samsung Captivate Glide with my full size headphones. Lacking clarity, kind of warm-ish, etc. My Shure SE215 do sound good with them though...

post #29 of 3160

I know it is late but I should have some of these here shortly. I also plan on getting the 7520 in the near future as well... I will probably only keep one.  I am excited to hear these things. Some reviews mention treble distortion so I will have to hear it for myself. 

post #30 of 3160

Yamaha HPH-MT220 review, appreciation

 Yamaha HPH-MT220

I decided to start this review on another thread because out of all of the headphones I have researched, this one had the least reviews and impressions. For the price, it is a worthy competitor and I am very satisfied with the headphone. Hopefully it will prove somewhat useful. Soon will be a comparison to the Sony MDR 7520.

 

more pics (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tangibles/Design

Accessories

No case, or pouch, simple box but comes with a WAVELAB LEaudio editing software CD. 

Aesthetics

It has a minimalist/industrial look to them with brushed aluminum around the driver housing and look nice with my iMac. They will definitely turn heads in public. The long chord however may keep you from taking them out much. The coiled cord is not detachable and is terminated in an 1/8 inch jack with a heavy duty sterling silver (most heavy duty I have seen) screw on 1/4 inch adapter that wont work well with other headphones because it's socket is too deep for the standard 1/8 inch jack to fit on. The cord goes into the 1/8 inch side with a spring protector. 

 

 

Build

It is too early to comment on durability but they do appear to be average here. Nothing like a sennheiser hd650 or German Maestro....just average. I need to look into the leather/non leather parts to see what they are, I will say synthetic leather because its not advertised otherwise. The cups swivel up and down. The headset is pretty light with mostly plastic parts, and a metal headband slider. The headband is soft and padded with a metal band and click as you slide to adjust the size for a fit.

 

The pads are memory foam, shallow, and easily removable or rollable!!! 

 

45mm drivers.

 

Comfort

Very comfortable. I am bald so the thin but soft headband cushion is sufficient. The earpads are soft but a little shallow. My ears fit inside of the cups though they do touch the felt that is covering the driver. The cups feel a little loose at times because of the rotating feature and I do prefer a more snug fit personally. The clamp is decent though. They are pretty light and a non-fatiguing wear.

 

Sound

Bass

    It seems as though I am having a brain fart with this headphone. I can say that it is NOT lacking bass. I read that the bass sounded anemic at first to another person that reviewed these but that is not what I hear at all. Maybe the song they played had no bass at first.These are not for the person that prefers bass light headphones. You will hear the bass right away.  I can tell you that some people will say the bass is too much for them. I forgot I had the bass boosted on an EQ I was using for another headphone and before removing the EQ all I could think was "Whoa they have too much bass". Thankfully, they don't have too much bass. I would say they have the right amount of bass for a professional using them to mix modern hip hop, soul, electronic music etc. After it dawned on me and I took the eq off I determined the bass to be north of neutral but not overdone. It also reaches deep enough to satisfy anyone. The bass has great texture as well, while remaining pretty tight and detailed. I can hear how each note starts and finishes. I can't really hear any bloating and while the bass is pounding I don't hear other instruments cutting off, though they don't remain perfectly intact , they are not too overpowered like a lot of other headphones. After performing the bass test I found that the bass is strong at 20,30,40hz (sub bass) without too much midbass emphasis but good sub bass performance and decent sub bass quality.

 

Midrange

    The mids don't seem to be recessed or forward. I don't know if I would say these are for the mid centric head but the mids would satisfy them for sure. They are quite accurate. On some songs I thought they were slightly recessed and I mean slightly, on others they sounded not even close to recessed. I attribute this to them being accurate of the mix and what is actually going on. After continually listening I have found them to be certainly revealing of the mix. Some songs i didn't like the mids and others I really did.  Mids used to be my favorite part of a headphone until I tried every mid centric headphone I could get my hand on. These headphones would have satisfied me in my previous search. I now prefer a more neutral sound and these scratch that itch without them being dry or lifeless. Right now as I am listening I am hearing these aren't the last word in transparency. The clarity issues I thought I was hearing was the recording itself.  I think the mids could be a little more transparent, with better timbre. 

 

Treble

    The treble is clean and not recessed either. The cymbals are sharp and the s's are razor sharp. These do not sound too bright to me even after listening to the lcd 2 exclusively for a bit. They do sound brighter than neutral but seem not too bright but more balanced than the common mid centric headphones with rolled off treble, like the momentum, or hd650. I would trust a mix on these for sure. The only thing here for me is that my ears haven't really heard bright headphones in a while. I can say that with the detail that these have in the highs, the treble is not lacking here. They are also less sibilant than the He400, though the detail perception is not comparable to the he-400's open sound, perception being the key word because they are just as detailed.

 

 

Soundstage

Pretty decent for a closed headphone. I prefer it to a lot of other closed ones I have had. It is in between the k550 and the momentum. That is not saying a lot because I pretty much picked the extremes of closed headphones. Less expansive than the Beyer COP. A very cohesive presentation that doesn't seem clustered. The width and depth seem pretty good without sounding distant but it definitely sounds closed...wait...it is closed. 

 

Instrument seperation

I can focus on an instrument and they don't blend together on this headphone. They have their distinct places and remain musical all the while.

 

Details 

Great, I can hear when everything cuts off and stops, where the reverb stops, and the instruments to blend together. These are not too dry and not too wet. Fairly fast headphone with a good harmonics. Voices are easy to tell apart. Low level noises are heard fairly well. Nothing amazing but very competitive in this regards, and can easily be called a detailed headphone.

 

Attack

The drums are smacking and the transients or leading edges of the instruments vindicate themselves well. Some may argue with me  here but I can't imagine any modded T50rp smacking and punching as tight as this. This is definitely the strong point of these headphones. The instruments have great weight and speed, cutting through the mix fast.

 

Performance

Isolation is decent. Sound leakage is above average(or leaks less than average) but I can't hear surounding noises that much at all. They don't need much power but definitely need a DAC and a decent amp to appreciate what they can do as far as being able to hear details etc. They do sound loud enough from an iPod and make a great portable headphone.

 

They don't distort easily at high volumes and can keep their composure. There is a little vibrating of the housing when the bass hits at times but this is tolerable. 

Sometimes I hear distortion and other times I don't and I am determining this to be the recording itself. 

 

Overall

Not too dark,not really bright. The bass is a little north of neutral, yet behaves as the recording tells it to. Good soundstage for a closed headphone with strong bass and in general a balanced and neutral frequency range  with good extension from top to bottom. They don't seem to overgloss imperfections but the imperfections it reveals don't ruin the experience. You can use these to study a song as well as enjoy your music. They lean more toward the musical side than the analytical to me because they have the attack and PRAT needed to make them an exciting listen.  I also read that there is too much resolution on these for the highs and mids to be pleasant... and that they ruined certain songs. I find them quite pleasing without being too be harsh...that is IMO though. These are VERY TRUE to the recording and are worthy of the "professional use" moniker. The praise of this headphone definitely goes to the tuning. Those tune forks on the side of the cups don't mislead. YAMAHA knows what they are doing.

 

 

For 249.00 I don't see anyone complaining about these. 

vs sony mdr 7520 CLICK BELOW

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/270#post_10018304

Impressions might change but this is what I hear for now. I will continue to change the review accordingly and add to it.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 1/29/14 at 4:11pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)