or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) - Page 8

post #106 of 3140
I'm sorry but the M50 suck baaaalllzzz (lol, sorry, I just never liked them and I even preferred my cheap Panasonics over them). Having said that, I have owned the MDR-1, the M100s and the Yamaha Pro 500. The MDR was good but I found the upper mids fatiguing especially when increasing volume. The latter 2 are basshead cans and these Yamahas are not. What do I mean with this? The mids are excellent, forward and full on the MT220s in comparison. Does this mean that it lacks bass extension and/or impact? Hells no! Frankly these Yammies are pretty well balanced and I was surprised by them. In my Pro 500 review I mentioned that I liked them enough to give Yamaha more chances... glad I did!

;-)

P.S. I also have them with the Alpha Pads.
post #107 of 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
 

i really wish someone can compare them to ath m50, and sony mdr-1r and V Moda also  with yamaha pro500

 

We need more reviews and comparisons , I am very close to buying them but if I buy I can not return them in my country

I can pretty much assure you that based on sound quality they will best the above but sound signature is what will determine your like or dislike of them. 

 

I actually have been listening to them without alpha pads lately... i wanted them more forward but I go back and forth and it is easy to do.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 2/9/14 at 2:23pm
post #108 of 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

I'm sorry but the M50 suck baaaalllzzz (lol, sorry, I just never liked them and I even preferred my cheap Panasonics over them). Having said that, I have owned the MDR-1, the M100s and the Yamaha Pro 500. The MDR was good but I found the upper mids fatiguing especially when increasing volume. The latter 2 are basshead cans and these Yamahas are not. What do I mean with this? The mids are excellent, forward and full on the MT220s in comparison. Does this mean that it lacks bass extension and/or impact? Hells no! Frankly these Yammies are pretty well balanced and I was surprised by them. In my Pro 500 review I mentioned that I liked them enough to give Yamaha more chances... glad I did!

;-)

P.S. I also have them with the Alpha Pads.

you make me more and more tempting now if you liked thee the mt220 more than v moda m100s I am about to go for the mt220 but before are there any better pads than alpha dog pads for the mt220, don't get me wrong i think alpha dog pads are great. Will the alpha dog pads cover my whole ear as that is a what I want i medium size ears.

 

As for the pro500 I have sms audio sync bluetooth and they sound ok so no point in going for the pro500


Edited by Sound Eq - 2/9/14 at 2:23pm
post #109 of 3140

^my ears barely fit inside but they are forgiving enough that it is not uncomfortable. 

post #110 of 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

^my ears barely fit inside but they are forgiving enough that it is not uncomfortable. 

i know I asked so many questions, so which are the best pads for the mt220 besides the stock they came with.

 

I want pads that can cover my whole ear, is there anything better than alpha dog pads or they the best pads for mt220

post #111 of 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
 

i know I asked so many questions, so which are the best pads for the mt220 besides the stock they came with.

 

I want pads that can cover my whole ear, is there anything better than alpha dog pads or they the best pads for mt220

never tried any others. I think the shure 1540 pads on amazon may work. You may have to do some risking on your end and buy them.

post #112 of 3140
Yeah, I guess that pads with similar size used on Fostex T50RP mods might work. So Shure SRH840, HM5, etc pads should probably work.

I also go back and forth with the pads. I find the Alpha pads ultra comfortable as the included pads are not as deep. Sound changes a bit but not enough to hate them! ;-)

But like grizzly mentioned, you should get what's closer to your preferred sound signature. Seems you like bass heavy cans, v-shaped sound so these might not be to your liking.... maybe...
post #113 of 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

I just ordered this on Amazon for $199. hope it's good

what about those impressions?

post #114 of 3140

Finally "dressed" the Yammies with MrSpeakers Alpha pads... and oh so comfy!!!

I don't find sound has changed negatively that much (bass feels a tad bloated and sound stage was changed a bit) but comfort definitely increased a bit (isolation as well).

 

BTW, had not seen this review from Personalaudio (Russian site):

 

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpersonalaudio.ru%2Fdetail%2FObzor_naushnikov_YAMAHA_HPH-MT120_i_HPH-MT220_13032013%2F

 

(translation is actually quite good...)

post #115 of 3140

that is the only place i could find a graph for it. The same person I told you said the yamaha wooped the pro changed his mind and loves the pro now as well. I might get that one too as i need isolation. It is a lot harder to pick the best headphone now.

 

I have to put the alphas back on. I have been enjoying the more full sound without them. I found it to have more depth but I think I posted hastily about the alpha pads. I go back and forth a lot with them and then taking them off and back again. 

post #116 of 3140

This is my first post here, thanks to all of you head-fi fanatics...I have been entrenched in days of research about what headphones to buy for mixing/mastering...I know I know, buy actual nearfield speaker monitors you dumbass, but I'm really looking for the best pair of mixing/mastering cans for when I can't monitor on my speakers...I've axed a lot of options so far, my budget is $200-$400...I produce electronic music so bass presntation is important...I was originally looking at the M50s / KRK 8400 / M5s , but decided I'd spring a hundred or so more for something better, which brought me to either the MDR-7520s, Senny 650s, Mad Dogs, AKG-712s, NAD Pro HD50s. and the HE-400s....The Mad Dogs don't seem to have enough bass presentation for my liking, the MDR-7520s sound like a prime choice but are slightly above my price point, the NAD HD50s get a lot of praise, 650s get a lot of respect for their mid-treble calrity, but I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with their bass clarity, and the HE-400s get a lot of praise as well, however they don't get a lot of love in terms of mixing and mastering capabilities as they are more "fun" sounding...Could this be countered with some EQ?? Either way thes Yammies are very intruiging at the price point and I'm wondering what you guys think as I'm trying to pull the trigger on a good pair of cans for mixing/mastering when I'm unable to use my actual speaker monitors...The new Spirit Pros are also intriuging...Would love to hear your opinions...these Yammies seem underrated and excellent fromthe reviews I've read, but would like to hear some more opinions on mixing cans in this price range..


Edited by mustardisease - 2/16/14 at 1:58am
post #117 of 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardisease View Post
 

This is my first post here, thanks to all of you head-fi fanatics...I have been entrenched in days of research about what headphones to buy for mixing/mastering...I know I know, buy actual nearfield speaker monitors you dumbass, but I'm really looking for the best pair of mixing/mastering cans for when I can't monitor on my speakers...I've axed a lot of options so far, my budget is $200-$400...I produce electronic music so bass presntation is important...I was originally looking at the M50s / KRK 8400 / M5s , but decided I'd spring a hundred or so more for something better, which brought me to either the MDR-7520s, Senny 650s, Mad Dogs, AKG-712s, NAD Pro HD50s. and the HE-400s....The Mad Dogs don't seem to have enough bass presentation for my liking, the MDR-7520s sound like a prime choice but are slightly above my price point, the NAD HD50s get a lot of praise, 650s get a lot of respect for their mid-treble calrity, but I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with their bass clarity, and the HE-400s get a lot of praise as well, however they don't get a lot of love in terms of mixing and mastering capabilities as they are more "fun" sounding...Could this be countered with some EQ?? Either way thes Yammies are very intruiging at the price point and I'm wondering what you guys think as I'm trying to pull the trigger on a good pair of cans for mixing/mastering when I'm unable to use my actual speaker monitors...The new Spirit Pros are also intriuging...Would love to hear your opinions...these Yammies seem underrated and excellent fromthe reviews I've read, but would like to hear some more opinions on mixing cans in this price range..

 

Tyll reviewed the Spirit Pros and compared them to the HP5.

 

Also, this thread.

post #118 of 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardisease View Post
 

This is my first post here, thanks to all of you head-fi fanatics...I have been entrenched in days of research about what headphones to buy for mixing/mastering...I know I know, buy actual nearfield speaker monitors you dumbass, but I'm really looking for the best pair of mixing/mastering cans for when I can't monitor on my speakers...I've axed a lot of options so far, my budget is $200-$400...I produce electronic music so bass presntation is important...I was originally looking at the M50s / KRK 8400 / M5s , but decided I'd spring a hundred or so more for something better, which brought me to either the MDR-7520s, Senny 650s, Mad Dogs, AKG-712s, NAD Pro HD50s. and the HE-400s....The Mad Dogs don't seem to have enough bass presentation for my liking, the MDR-7520s sound like a prime choice but are slightly above my price point, the NAD HD50s get a lot of praise, 650s get a lot of respect for their mid-treble calrity, but I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with their bass clarity, and the HE-400s get a lot of praise as well, however they don't get a lot of love in terms of mixing and mastering capabilities as they are more "fun" sounding...Could this be countered with some EQ?? Either way thes Yammies are very intruiging at the price point and I'm wondering what you guys think as I'm trying to pull the trigger on a good pair of cans for mixing/mastering when I'm unable to use my actual speaker monitors...The new Spirit Pros are also intriuging...Would love to hear your opinions...these Yammies seem underrated and excellent fromthe reviews I've read, but would like to hear some more opinions on mixing cans in this price range..

get it! these are MADE for MODERN music professionals and are accurate enough for what you need. They offer enough balance and are not basshead level but will translate well to monitors. Very little coloration not perfectly neutral but good. They need burn in. 

 

I will have the pros here in a couple of days and can compare them. If you can afford the spirit pros you can afford the 7520.

post #119 of 3140

Sinocelt, I have read your thread through before I posted :) . Great thread...What confuses me the most is the debate between open/closed back headphones...Where people say open back headhpones are the best for mixing/mastering, yet most of the debate over the best mixing/mastering cans rages over closed headphones...I would THINK that the HE-400s with some EQing would get a LOT of praise in terms of their mixing capabilities, given their open back, granted they were EQed in the mids...Most of the talk surrounds closed-back headphones, however, for mixing. So it's strange that the semi-open/open headphones that are known for their quality don't get more praise for their mastering capabilities. grizzlybeast, your praise has been what's driving me towards these Yammies, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger, there's just too many options and too many conflicting opinions. 


Edited by mustardisease - 2/16/14 at 9:53pm
post #120 of 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardisease View Post
 

Sinocelt, I have read your thread through before I posted :) . Great thread...What confuses me the most is the debate between open/closed back headphones...Where people say open back headhpones are the best for mixing/mastering, yet most of the debate over the best mixing/mastering cans rages over closed headphones...I would THINK that the HE-400s with some EQing would get a LOT of praise in terms of their mixing capabilities, given their open back, granted they were EQed in the mids...Most of the talk surrounds closed-back headphones, however, for mixing. So it's strange that the semi-open/open headphones that are known for their quality don't get more praise for their mastering capabilities. grizzlybeast, your praise has been what's driving me towards these Yammies, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger, there's just too many options and too many conflicting opinions. 

what conflicting opinions on the yammies have you heard. I would like to read them. no hp is perfect that is for sure.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)