or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › AURALiC Vega
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AURALiC Vega - Page 3

post #31 of 115

Please do. I have tried DSD (both types) on marantz na-11s1 and much prefer the DSD over high rez. files (much more analogue like). However, I think some report say that recording has to be AAD to get the benefit or something.


Edited by SleepyOne - 9/27/13 at 1:13pm
post #32 of 115

If anyone interested in trying newer and arguably better driver

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/auralic-vega-my-review-16756/index6.html#post258262

post #33 of 115

With much sadness I will be returning my Vega to the dealer. The RCA outputs on my unit have an electronic buzz. The XLR outputs have been fine. Hopefully I can get this issue resolved quickly!!!

post #34 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacore View Post
 

With much sadness I will be returning my Vega to the dealer. The RCA outputs on my unit have an electronic buzz. The XLR outputs have been fine. Hopefully I can get this issue resolved quickly!!!

Are you sure it's not just infamous ground loop?

post #35 of 115

It doesn't sound like any of the ground hums I've experienced in the past. Since the retailer I bought it from (Echo Audio) won't get another batch for a least a week, I will continue trying to trouble shoot in different configurations. Kurt from Echo has been fantastic to work with and has committed to solving this with me. For now I will continue to enjoy the XLR outputs, and work on trying to figure out what's up with the RCA's.

post #36 of 115

Hope you'll have it sorted out, try lifting the ground on the amp with the cheater plug to see if this is GL. If that works, get Hum-X.

 

Vega just wipes out everything I owned or auditioned before.

With iUSB Power, modded 1.67 drivers, and Exact clock it's just pure bliss, so smooth, detailed, and emotional, almost makes me cry on some pieces.

ASIO output seems to be the most stable out of everything, no drop outs even with hi-rez PCM or DSD at Exact Clock setting.


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 10/2/13 at 10:39pm
post #37 of 115

hello Andrew,

 

can you plase post your ASIO settings (latency, buffer) and possibly output settings if any (in foobar f.e. there is another buffer).

 

Are you using foo_dsd_asio and asio_proxy to play dsd files?

 

I'm currently using your modded 1.67, find them rock stable even if I didn't notice so much sonic differences over the official 1.61, but I got some occasional dropouts when using exact clock (same as 1.61)

 

I also have the iFi USB power but for the sake of simplicity do not use it, since again I hear no difference (using a Wireworld  Starlight 7 usb cable)

 

btw, also for me Vega is one of the best DAC ever auditioned.

 

tnks!!!!

 

mike

post #38 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaeton70 View Post
 

hello Andrew,

 

can you plase post your ASIO settings (latency, buffer) and possibly output settings if any (in foobar f.e. there is another buffer).

 

Are you using foo_dsd_asio and asio_proxy to play dsd files?

 

I'm currently using your modded 1.67, find them rock stable even if I didn't notice so much sonic differences over the official 1.61, but I got some occasional dropouts when using exact clock (same as 1.61)

 

I also have the iFi USB power but for the sake of simplicity do not use it, since again I hear no difference (using a Wireworld  Starlight 7 usb cable)

 

btw, also for me Vega is one of the best DAC ever auditioned.

 

tnks!!!!

 

mike

 

Hi Mike,

For DSD setup, I've just followed the instruction from auralic site.

http://www.auralic.com/download/dsd_playback_setup.pdf

 

In TheSycon USB Driver CPL I have the following:

USB Streaming Mode - Safe

ASIO Buffer Size - 2048

Streaming Mode - Always On

 

In sound Control Panel, disable all sound effect for Vega and set output to 24bit/44100 (not sure if that matters), both checkboxes on for Exclusive mode. And make sure it's not a default audio device.

Disabling power saving for USB controllers might help as well. http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/downloads/Windows_7_Optimization_Guide.pdf

 

In Foobar2000, for PCM output Asio Auralic, for DSD Asio: foo_dsd_asio, buffer length 1090ms. You can use dsd proxy even for PCM, it works just fine.

 

Hope that helps.

 

Interesting feedback on USB Power, I need to run more tests, but I was pretty sure it does help during earlier testing, and it kind of makes sense based on Auralic tech reply.

Quote:
 I was told it works but I never tried. As VEGA do not use USB power, I think the effect should be very small unless the iFi can block noise coming from ground line.

Do you use SOtM card?


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 10/3/13 at 9:08am
post #39 of 115

Andrew, thanks. I use a more aggressive setting for ASIO, low latency and 1024 sample, that could be the reason for the dropouts.

 

mike

post #40 of 115

santacore, Andrew_WOT, (and anyone else who'd care to chime in),

 

I have been following this thread with keen interest.  I am a relatively new Head-Fi enthusiast.  I decided on the Vega and mine is on it's way (should be here by the end of the week).  Could you give me some pointers on how to burn in the DAC, Amp and cables?  Headphones are LCD-3s with Silver Dragon V3 cable (about 250 hrs with HiFi-M8) seem to have relaxed and sound pretty amazing.  Amp is RSA Dark Star (also on its way and should arrive at the same time as the Vega).  New XLR cables (AudioQuest King Cobra) and a Silver Dragon USB cable as well.  I presume I can burn in the cables, DAC and AMP together, I am just not sure on what the right process is.  I will be using my trusty MacBook Pro to enjoy my music.  Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

post #41 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
 

santacore, Andrew_WOT, (and anyone else who'd care to chime in),

 

I have been following this thread with keen interest.  I am a relatively new Head-Fi enthusiast.  I decided on the Vega and mine is on it's way (should be here by the end of the week).  Could you give me some pointers on how to burn in the DAC, Amp and cables?  Headphones are LCD-3s with Silver Dragon V3 cable (about 250 hrs with HiFi-M8) seem to have relaxed and sound pretty amazing.  Amp is RSA Dark Star (also on its way and should arrive at the same time as the Vega).  New XLR cables (AudioQuest King Cobra) and a Silver Dragon USB cable as well.  I presume I can burn in the cables, DAC and AMP together, I am just not sure on what the right process is.  I will be using my trusty MacBook Pro to enjoy my music.  Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.  Thanks in advance.


Nothing special, just put some music on rotation for 100 hours or so. Sorry, I am not a proponent of fancy aftermarket cables so can't advise anything on their burn in (that one is just for laughter) :p.

And congrats on the fine DAC.

post #42 of 115
Quote:
 Nothing special, just put some music on rotation for 100 hours or so. Sorry, I am not a proponent of fancy aftermarket cables so can't advise anything on their burn in (that one is just for laughter) :p.

And congrats on the fine DAC.

 

Thanks Andrew.  Sounds simple enough.  I did the same for the Headphones,  I just did not know if there was a special way I was not aware of.  I wrestled with the question regarding the cables, but at the end they were not that expensive (comparatively speaking) and I have a friend who swears by them (he's more of a Speaker kind of guy).  i figured I was already into it for a good amount and the extra for the cables was relatively inconsequential (I had an Amazon credit)


Edited by Memnoch - 10/29/13 at 11:06pm
post #43 of 115

What Andrew said....

 

Hook up all your new stuff and play toons non stop for a few days from your Macbook. The DAC sounds great from day one, but the presentation does seem to relax after a 100+ hours.

 

The only regret I have with this DAC is when I look at my bank account. :blink:

post #44 of 115
Quote:
 

What Andrew said....

 

Hook up all your new stuff and play toons non stop for a few days from your Macbook. The DAC sounds great from day one, but the presentation does seem to relax after a 100+ hours.

 

The only regret I have with this DAC is when I look at my bank account. :blink:

 

No regrets here... you only live once, right?  Thanks for the advice santacore.  I'm excited about the rig.  I'll post pictures when it's all together.

post #45 of 115

How does this DAC compare to other DACs at its price range? say for example the Invicta ?

 

Also has anyone tried the DAC with an LCD-3 headphone, maybe the Taurus/Vega stack?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › AURALiC Vega