Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Just Bought Zu Möbius MkII AKG Cable For Q701, Amp Suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just Bought Zu Möbius MkII AKG Cable For Q701, Amp Suggestions?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Cutting to the chase here, I need a new amp (under 100 bucks) that can connect to a mobile device or computer, and yet will run my new 1/4 inch Zu Modded Q701's.

Or will just a simple 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter work with a FiiO E11? Will there be much SQ loss if so?

What sound difference should I expect? If you have any answers for me, please comment down below or PM me.

Thanks! -BiggBenn

P.S. I bought the cable a few moments ago for a little under 60 bucks shipped. Happy happy happy day for me. smily_headphones1.gif savings of over 100 bucks.
post #2 of 14

Save your money. $100 isn't likely to make enough of a difference in really driving the Q701, save for coloring the sound with a non-linear amp. If you already have the E11, get one of those Grado adapters or similar, that way you don't have a huge 3.5mm+6.3mm plug hanging off it.


Edited by ProtegeManiac - 4/3/13 at 8:27pm
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

Save your money. $100 isn't likely to make enough of a difference in really driving the Q701, save for coloring the sound with a non-linear cheap amp.

Thanks. But, here is my problem: I have nothing that is 1/4 inch compatible. Only 3.5mm. Would the sound be hurt too much with an adapter going into my E11 FiiO?
post #4 of 14

Try Schiit Magni, it is better than having no amp. I used to have it paired with my HD800 and it's not bad.

post #5 of 14

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365046435&sr=1-1&keywords=grado+adapter+cable

 

i tried this grado adaptor before, really opened up the sound vs a "stock" adaptor. 

 

===============================

 

i am all for swapping out the stock Q701 cable.. :P

way to go bro .

beerchug.gif

 

===============================

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by klfl View Post

Try Schiit Magni, it is better than having no amp. I used to have it paired with my HD800 and it's not bad.

Please elaborate? smily_headphones1.gif I'm very interested. What's it like?

Also, I'm looking to plug them straight into my laptop/ iPhone 4s. Is there any specific connector cable that I'll need?
Edited by biggbenn74 - 4/3/13 at 8:50pm
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365046435&sr=1-1&keywords=grado+adapter+cable


i tried this grado adaptor before, really opened up the sound vs a "stock" adaptor. 

===============================

i am all for swapping out the stock Q701 cable.. :P
way to go bro .
beerchug.gif

===============================

Ha. Thank you. smily_headphones1.gif will definitely keep this in mind.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbenn74 View Post


Please elaborate? smily_headphones1.gif I'm very interested. What's it like?

Also, I'm looking to plug them straight into my laptop/ iPhone 4s. Is there any specific connector cable that I'll need?

 

The Schiit stack is very small and affordable. It can provide sufficient power for most headphones without distortion. The Magni with Modi DAC combo is worth a try. $99+$99.

post #9 of 14

If you use line out from your ipod/iphone with amp it will be fine. But I won't recommend just connecting any amp to the headphone out of the laptop. Because most laptop today have pretty bad sound card and connect to the headphone jack is basically dual amping. So a dac is recommended with the laptop. An all-in-one solution is iBasso D-zero, it may not be as good as more expensive gears but it's definitely best bang for the buck at the price point.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbenn74 View Post


But, here is my problem: I have nothing that is 1/4 inch compatible. Only 3.5mm. Would the sound be hurt too much with an adapter going into my E11 FiiO?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

...get one of those Grado adapters or similar, that way you don't have a huge 3.5mm+6.3mm plug hanging off it.
Note : Link previously posted but here it is - http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365046435&sr=1-1&keywords=grado+adapter+cable

 

Short answer - it's inconsequential unless the adapter drastically affects the impedance. With adapters you should worry more about stressing the socket, which is always a problem when you have a 6.3mm plug hooked up to a 3.5mm jack, since the weight and length will be supported on the shorter, tinier jack. Think of this as a cartoon musketeer or Zorro standing on the bad guy's sword, but in cartoon physics, it actually holds him up. It's not the same in real life. That's also why some manufacturers supply those very convenient 3.5mm plugs with a 6.3mm converter with their stock cables, like the push-on adapter on the HD600 cable, or the screw-in adapter on the K701 (not sure what the Q701 and K702 have).

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Alright. Got the Schiit Magni. Modi might come later. Will have to see. Also bought a Zu Audio Mission Dual RCA To 3.5mm adapter as well for 40 bucks (deal in itself!)

I just went all out, because why not? smily_headphones1.gif birthday was this week anyway.

Happy. Birthday. To. Me. biggrin.gif
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbenn74 View Post

Alright. Got the Schiit Magni. Modi might come later. Will have to see. Also bought a Zu Audio Mission Dual RCA To 3.5mm adapter as well for 40 bucks (deal in itself!)

I just went all out, because why not? smily_headphones1.gif birthday was this week anyway.

Happy. Birthday. To. Me. biggrin.gif

 

If you spent $60 more, that would have been $100 for the Modi, instead of $40 for the adapter then maybe another $100 for the Modi, the total being around $140.


Edited by ProtegeManiac - 4/4/13 at 6:13pm
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

If you spent $60 more, that would have been $100 for the Modi, instead of $40 for the adapter then maybe another $100 for the Modi, the total being around $140.

Already have an E7 DAC though. However, I am considering that for the future. smily_headphones1.gif
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbenn74 View Post


Already have an E7 DAC though. However, I am considering that for the future. smily_headphones1.gif

 

My bad, I meant the Magni. You can hook up the line out converter onto the E7 then hook it up to the Magni with a stereo 3.5mm to twin RCA cable. That Fiio E7 lineout adapter is, what, around $10? Cheaper than the Zu adapter.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Just Bought Zu Möbius MkII AKG Cable For Q701, Amp Suggestions?