Im going into high school and i want some new headphones. The main concerns are price sound and look. The sound has to have decent base and clear high lows and mids. I listen to rap but bass isnt that important to me. The price should be $100-150 and they should be portable and look decent. I dont care a whole lot about looks i just dont want really ugly ones. So i want headphones with the best balance of sound price and looks, in that order.
- productAiaiai TMA-1tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productApple EarPods with Remote and Mictagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productKoss PRO DJ 100tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productSkullcandy S6HSDZ-161 Hesh 2.0 with Detatchable Cable - Black/Blacktagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productSuperlux HD 681tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13More
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- headphones for my friend Last post on 11/25/12 at 12:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I just bought Audio Technica ATH-M50s.. I have questions. Last post on 3/15/13 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help deciding on headphones!!! Last post on 12/20/12 at 6:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good headphones ($200-$250) Last post on 12/4/12 at 5:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 144/1/13 at 7:59pm
Koss Portapro, and Apple Earpods.
Both around $30 and very good sound overall.
I've tried more expensive models with spectacular raving reviews (Koss DJ100 and Klipsch s4i) and didn't like either.
Price =/= performance.
post #3 of 144/1/13 at 8:04pm
Take a look at the Audio Technica M50's, Beyerdynamic DT770's, Ultrasone HFI 580's, AIAIAI TMA-1's, Shure SRH440's, and V-Modas. Read through some reviews of them and see if one jumps out at you.post #4 of 144/1/13 at 8:04pmpost #5 of 144/1/13 at 8:07pmpost #6 of 144/1/13 at 8:11pmQuote:
The problem for the OP is that just about every one of those headphones gets rave reviews.
As did the Koss DJ100's I just bought. The 100's aren't bad, but they're not great either. I consider them to be inferior to the less expensive portapro's, ksc75's and earpods.
The 100's produce weird artifacts, such as nasally voices, and a weird echo/slow decay, which are difficult to ignore. The fit is far from spectacular, with the enormous headband sitting on my head and always making it's presence known.
There are some sites which claim that the 100's are very nearly the reviewer's favorite headphones of all time.
Even cheap, garbage headphones routinely get 4 star reviews on amazon.
With headphone reviews, you enter a strange twilight zone where every kid is a straight A genius, and every fat, wheezing kid on the playground is a star athlete.
It's a strange psychological phenomenon, which I think says far more about the placebo effect, the prestige of certain brands, and people's love of music, regardless of the quality of the headphones themselves.post #7 of 144/1/13 at 9:02pm
That's true, you get a better idea of a headphone's character when people compare them to different headphones they have. Luckily there are a fair number of comparisons on these forums to comb through.post #8 of 144/1/13 at 9:17pmQuote:
I'd recommend the higher model Ultrasone HFI-780 over the HFI-580. More balanced than the 580s, yet still have that Ultrasone bass capability if you want to boost it a little bit. Slightly more refined sound, and they happen to be cheaper than the 580s right now.post #9 of 144/1/13 at 9:46pmpost #10 of 144/4/13 at 5:34pmThread Starter
should have been more specific, i want over ears for sure and im not on a strict budget, also clarity is a HUGE factor because i listen to classical as well. one more thing, i know this is blasphemous, but i was listening to the hesh 2's at the store, and they sound pretty great. if i could get them for a good price would that be good despite the fact that they're skullcandy's?post #11 of 144/4/13 at 6:58pmThread Starterpost #12 of 144/4/13 at 7:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by Itskewl42
should have been more specific, i want over ears for sure and im not on a strict budget, also clarity is a HUGE factor because i listen to classical as well. one more thing, i know this is blasphemous, but i was listening to the hesh 2's at the store, and they sound pretty great. if i could get them for a good price would that be good despite the fact that they're skullcandy's?
The Hesh 2 aren't that bad. They were made by the new director at SC, who actually cares a bit about SQ. The Hesh 2.0, Aviators, and the MMM are all good.post #13 of 144/4/13 at 7:35pmpost #14 of 144/5/13 at 5:14pmThread Starter
- Headphone reccomendation
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Legendary synergy? 19 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 LA/SoCal Regional Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014,... 47 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) 2 minutes ago
- › WTS: Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X GPU 2 minutes ago
- › Lightning Cables - Official and Custom (welcomed). 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by JoeDoe
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by HPuser9083
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe