Im going into high school and i want some new headphones. The main concerns are price sound and look. The sound has to have decent base and clear high lows and mids. I listen to rap but bass isnt that important to me. The price should be $100-150 and they should be portable and look decent. I dont care a whole lot about looks i just dont want really ugly ones. So i want headphones with the best balance of sound price and looks, in that order.
- productAiaiai TMA-1tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productApple EarPods with Remote and Mictagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productKoss PRODJ100tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productSkullcandy S6HSDZ-161 Hesh 2.0 with Detatchable Cable - Black/Blacktagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productSuperlux HD 681tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13More
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productUltrasone PRO 550tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by jacksonchansf, 4/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- headphones for my friend Last post on 11/25/12 at 12:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I just bought Audio Technica ATH-M50s.. I have questions. Last post on 3/15/13 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help deciding on headphones!!! Last post on 12/20/12 at 6:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good headphones ($200-$250) Last post on 12/4/12 at 5:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
Edit1: Supposedly you have to burn this in for a while and you have to leave it on constantly to warm up or whatever according to the manual, but I wrote the review below after only about an hour...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
Headphone reccomendationpost #1 of 144/1/13 at 7:05pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 144/1/13 at 7:59pm
Koss Portapro, and Apple Earpods.
Both around $30 and very good sound overall.
I've tried more expensive models with spectacular raving reviews (Koss DJ100 and Klipsch s4i) and didn't like either.
Price =/= performance.
post #3 of 144/1/13 at 8:04pm
Take a look at the Audio Technica M50's, Beyerdynamic DT770's, Ultrasone HFI 580's, AIAIAI TMA-1's, Shure SRH440's, and V-Modas. Read through some reviews of them and see if one jumps out at you.post #4 of 144/1/13 at 8:04pmpost #5 of 144/1/13 at 8:07pmpost #6 of 144/1/13 at 8:11pmQuote:
The problem for the OP is that just about every one of those headphones gets rave reviews.
As did the Koss DJ100's I just bought. The 100's aren't bad, but they're not great either. I consider them to be inferior to the less expensive portapro's, ksc75's and earpods.
The 100's produce weird artifacts, such as nasally voices, and a weird echo/slow decay, which are difficult to ignore. The fit is far from spectacular, with the enormous headband sitting on my head and always making it's presence known.
There are some sites which claim that the 100's are very nearly the reviewer's favorite headphones of all time.
Even cheap, garbage headphones routinely get 4 star reviews on amazon.
With headphone reviews, you enter a strange twilight zone where every kid is a straight A genius, and every fat, wheezing kid on the playground is a star athlete.
It's a strange psychological phenomenon, which I think says far more about the placebo effect, the prestige of certain brands, and people's love of music, regardless of the quality of the headphones themselves.post #7 of 144/1/13 at 9:02pm
That's true, you get a better idea of a headphone's character when people compare them to different headphones they have. Luckily there are a fair number of comparisons on these forums to comb through.post #8 of 144/1/13 at 9:17pmQuote:
I'd recommend the higher model Ultrasone HFI-780 over the HFI-580. More balanced than the 580s, yet still have that Ultrasone bass capability if you want to boost it a little bit. Slightly more refined sound, and they happen to be cheaper than the 580s right now.post #9 of 144/1/13 at 9:46pmpost #10 of 144/4/13 at 5:34pmThread Starter
should have been more specific, i want over ears for sure and im not on a strict budget, also clarity is a HUGE factor because i listen to classical as well. one more thing, i know this is blasphemous, but i was listening to the hesh 2's at the store, and they sound pretty great. if i could get them for a good price would that be good despite the fact that they're skullcandy's?post #11 of 144/4/13 at 6:58pmThread Starterpost #12 of 144/4/13 at 7:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by Itskewl42
should have been more specific, i want over ears for sure and im not on a strict budget, also clarity is a HUGE factor because i listen to classical as well. one more thing, i know this is blasphemous, but i was listening to the hesh 2's at the store, and they sound pretty great. if i could get them for a good price would that be good despite the fact that they're skullcandy's?
The Hesh 2 aren't that bad. They were made by the new director at SC, who actually cares a bit about SQ. The Hesh 2.0, Aviators, and the MMM are all good.post #13 of 144/4/13 at 7:35pmpost #14 of 144/5/13 at 5:14pmThread Starter
another thing i might do is go with some cheaper panasonics or superluxes and buy some speakers and an amp for the headphones. the lepai amp looks pretty god but i dont know if it will work
- Headphone reccomendation
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Headphone Sightings 2 10 seconds ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 35 seconds ago
- › Over ears help, 52 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › DT990 Pro Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Burson Audio - Conductor SL 9018 - Headphone Amp and DAC by ag8908
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob