Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › More bass does not mean better bass!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More bass does not mean better bass! - Page 2

post #16 of 38
Have you ever thought that some people prefer "more bass" than someone else?

Music preferences are as varied as the phones one uses to listen to them, and bashing a preference is just a really..

Well, stupid.
post #17 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoMood View Post

Have you ever thought that some people prefer "more bass" than someone else?

Music preferences are as varied as the phones one uses to listen to them, and bashing a preference is just a really..

Well, stupid.

I'm not bashing a preference. People are entitled to like bassier headphones. I don't mind bassy headphones myself.

 

It's when people make the automatic assumption that "more" bass will equal to a better sounding bass. I'm not saying that bassy headphones aren't capable of sounding good, the point i'm trying to make is that just because 1 headphone has "more" bass than another headphone, doesn't necessarily mean its going to sound better, or more fun.

 

It's just that i've seen threads on here asking for comparisons between the amount of bass alone and nothing else.

post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post

It's when people make the automatic assumption that "more" bass will equal to a better sounding bass. I'm not saying that bassy headphones aren't capable of sounding good, the point i'm trying to make is that just because 1 headphone has "more" bass than another headphone, doesn't necessarily mean its going to sound better, or more fun.

 

That's a preference. Its sounds better, or is more fun, if the listener thinks it is.

 

Your point is that you don't agree with the preferences of some others.

post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

That's a preference. Its sounds better, or is more fun, if the listener thinks it is.

 

Your point is that you don't agree with the preferences of some others.

What he wanted to say is that, regardless of your preference, you'll always find HP with good bass quantity&quality, texture, soundstage and detail to sound way better than HP with slightly more but bloated bass and overall in your face muddy signature, that's obvious. 


Edited by SmOgER - 4/7/13 at 9:29am
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmOgER View Post

What he wanted to say is that, regardless of your preference, you'll always find HP with good bass quantity&quality, texture, soundstage and detail to sound way better than HP with slightly more but bloated bass and overall in your face muddy signature, that's obvious. 

 

What you have said is "good bass" and "sound better" but good bass and better sound are nothing more than personal preference. While "bloated bass" doesn't "sound better" or even good to me -- or I think to you and the OP -- once again that's nothing more than our preference. Obviously.

post #21 of 38
NEEEDZ MOAAAR BASSSSS!!! mad.gif
post #22 of 38

Everyone's world is different and everyone's vision of perfect sound is different, so i guess wierd as it seems wishing for bloated muddy bass is just as valid as wishing for neutral textured bass.
.

.

.

It's just that the former opinion isn't popular nor valued here, so it makes it taboo/incorrect.

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

What you have said is "good bass" and "sound better" but good bass and better sound are nothing more than personal preference. While "bloated bass" doesn't "sound better" or even good to me -- or I think to you and the OP -- once again that's nothing more than our preference. Obviously.

You're too funny biggrin.gif 

 

better soundstage is not a preference, if it's better it means it's better for everyone and a better SQ for any kind of ears. Same goes for bass texture/quality. You just can't argue about that... It's like stating that choosing between 320kbps and 96kbps tracks depends on preference... If someone finds it true, he needs to check his ears, cheers. cool.gif


Edited by SmOgER - 4/7/13 at 11:47am
post #24 of 38

I like a lot of bass quantity as long as it's tight and detailed.  Take the JH16 for example, it has the best bass quantity, texture, headroom, and detail I've heard in a headphone.  It does not bleed into the other frequencies.  A bad example to me would be the XB500, it is bloaty, and dominates the other frequencies..

post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmOgER View Post

better soundstage is not a preference, [...]

 

Wider soundstage is not a preference. Narrower soundstage is not a preference. Better sound is nothing more than preference. Your preferences, and mine, don't make anything better.

post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

 A bad example to me would be the XB500, it is bloaty, and dominates the other frequencies..

True, but you wouldn't believe what proper EQing can actually do. More and more often I see people enjoy using even blind built-in EQ presets from sound card drivers / amps / mp3s... Now imagine the effect of a EQ preset specifically made for your HP and your taste. The true is, that on flat EQ you will never hear the full potential of any HP, especially the cheaper one, as freq response is usually far from the one you admire the most. 

 

PS. This is obviously not related to OP statement. biggrin.gif


Edited by SmOgER - 4/7/13 at 1:37pm
post #27 of 38

"better" here in head-fi generally means the ability of the headphone to produce a more accurate and wider soundstage, but "better" to some may be having all the sound coming from inside your head.
It's easy to dismiss something as 'understood'/'of course' to be better because almost all of us agree it is 'better'. 
But if we talk about the headphone's ability to 'better' reproduce the sound more accurately instead then it is a different story than being 'better' to someone's vision of perfect sound.
Some preferences appear to be 'bad' because their reference points are skewed. Their vision is bassy boomy over the top bass as being high quality. Ours are more of based on what headphones we have heard before and other places. This is also the reason it is not really advicable to jump from ibuds to HD800 and LCD3 in one go, because we haven't built our reference point and trained out ears to fully appreciate the details and soundstage the high end gear has to offer.

And any bad headphone can be vastly improved with a simple eq. An example would be my HD202, before eq it was just kind of bassy and muddy, but after that it has tight bass, a soundstage that is actually outside your head, and clearer treble with more realistic overall timbre.
Better headphones improve less with eq though since they already do a lot of things correctly.
 

post #28 of 38

I'm one of those people that always asks for more bass. However its unfair to lump me or other who come to this forum into the "beats by dre" category. Some of us are here asking for the "best" bass knowing we are talking to audiophiles.That being said I'm still looking for a headphone under 200 that gives me that smooth deep clear tight almost rolling bass with crystal clear SQ in all other frequencies. No one seems able to direct me in the right direction or they'll say Dt770 forgetting that I asked for bass not "an audiophile headphone that has a tiny tiny tincture more bass than every other audiophile headphone"

post #29 of 38
Not many (if any) headphones can/will do that. Afterall a simple eq can give you all the bass you want as long as the headphone is not anaemic to begin with. Normally suggested is the ultrasome hfi 570, though not heard that myself or any headphone that delivers lots and lots of bass with crystal clear rest of the sound cause.... They are kind of opposites
Edited by streetdragon - 4/7/13 at 3:32pm
post #30 of 38

I agree. Just get any bassy headphone and EQ the crap out of it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › More bass does not mean better bass!