The other day a few of my friends and I were talking about the future and this got me thinking. What will headphones look like in 25, 50, 100 years? Will they still even be around.
Here's some things I can see happening in the future.
1. The future is wireless, new wireless technology will allow headphones and players to receive signals losslessly. Though I'm sure even then there will be debate about if it is better than wired :P
2. The Dr. Dre Beats craze will be over, thank god.
3. LCD screens and touch screen controls on headphones. Maybe this is far fetched but I can see more use of touch control and information such as db listening level, bitrate of the files being played and such displayed on the headphone.
4. New file compression types
5. Lossless music becoming mainstream. With larger hard drive sizes more people may adopt lossless formats once they hear the sound advantage to them. I can just see iTunes HD coming out and non audio people making a big deal about how good their music sounds and how great this "New" technology is.
6. The end of physical media. I'm sure this has been discussed before but after the CD becomes obsolete will there be a followup physical media format? The world is increasingly moving towards digital distribution in everything.
These are some of my thoughts. Interested in what your guys thoughts are on the future of our hobby.