Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › I´ve been ruined by the Stax SR-009 sound
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I´ve been ruined by the Stax SR-009 sound - Page 5

post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

You should do it.  A good pair of custom IEMs is much more comfortable to wear than the universal ones.  It will allows you to listen at much lower volume as well as reducing the listening fatigue. 

Hm, I don't find the SE-535 uncomfortable at all, in fact they are the most comfortable IEM I've ever used, _and_ I can sleep with them in my ears when I travel, such as for long flights etc...
My issue with the SE-535 is that they make the crappy sources painfully obvious, and I usually use a Galaxy S3 or FiiO E17, both with a low hiss.

Dropping $1k on something I haven't auditioned is a bit out of my comfort zone tbh...
post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybDev View Post


Hm, I don't find the SE-535 uncomfortable at all, in fact they are the most comfortable IEM I've ever used, _and_ I can sleep with them in my ears when I travel, such as for long flights etc...
My issue with the SE-535 is that they make the crappy sources painfully obvious, and I usually use a Galaxy S3 or FiiO E17, both with a low hiss.

Dropping $1k on something I haven't auditioned is a bit out of my comfort zone tbh...

The custom IEMs are just more comfortable.  I was in your shoes about a year back, but went ahead with the JH13pro anyway, and have been very happy since.  Don't get me wrong, I still love my Shure but my JH13pro has replaced the SE535 as my constant companion.  Did you notice earlier in the thread that Justin Wilson of Headamp was also recommending the JH13pro as well?

post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

The custom IEMs are just more comfortable.  I was in your shoes about a year back, but went ahead with the JH13pro anyway, and have been very happy since.  Don't get me wrong, I still love my Shure but my JH13pro has replaced the SE535 as my constant companion.  Did you notice earlier in the thread that Justin Wilson of Headamp was also recommending the JH13pro as well?

Yeah, but I want to try it first, "best" sound is a very subjective matter. Hell, half of my friends swear that beats/skullcandy/marshall cans are the best :P

I guess when I become filthy rich at some point, or find myself in a living situation that puts me more on a plane than it does at home with my SR-009's I will consider it, but for the time being it's too much cash on a wildcard, especially when I'm pretty happy with the SE-535's as it is...
post #64 of 70

I don't have the SR-009 and an end-game stat amp (my rig is KGSS -> SR-007 MK1) but I will say that I also pretty don't care for any dynamic full size can anymore.  However, my JH13s still get every bit as much headtime as my SR-007 at my desktop, out of my Anedio D2 DAC/amp combo.  Some of that headtime is borne out of the necessity of closed cans, but a lot of time it's out of preference too.

post #65 of 70

I have the Fostex TH900 and I'm also looking for portables that doesn't make my ears bleed. I'v tried my wifes Bose QC15, bu they don't quite cut it. One pair of headphones that seems interesting is Ultrasone Signature Pro. I haven't heard them yet, but I've red hee on this forum that they are built like a tank, seals well, folds up and sounds good. They might be the best audiophile portables out there. 

post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybDev View Post


Yeah, but I want to try it first, "best" sound is a very subjective matter. Hell, half of my friends swear that beats/skullcandy/marshall cans are the best :P

I guess when I become filthy rich at some point, or find myself in a living situation that puts me more on a plane than it does at home with my SR-009's I will consider it, but for the time being it's too much cash on a wildcard, especially when I'm pretty happy with the SE-535's as it is...

I'm not saying that the JH13 is the best but it easily better the Shure SE535 and your friends' Beats.  Anyway, I hope that you get to try out the JH13pro one day.  Enjoy your SE535.

post #67 of 70

Because I've never found the foam sleeves of my se535's all that comfortable, I decided to have some custom ear pieces made for the se535's after having impressions of my ears. Those custom ear pieces made my se535's very comfortable, the only problem is I lost them while moving home. I've tried the se535's with their foam sleeves with my GS-Xmk2 and they sound very good, but I might eventually go for some custom IEM's.

post #68 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Because I've never found the foam sleeves of my se535's all that comfortable, I decided to have some custom ear pieces made for the se535's after having impressions of my ears. Those custom ear pieces made my se535's very comfortable, the only problem is I lost them while moving home. I've tried the se535's with their foam sleeves with my GS-Xmk2 and they sound very good, but I might eventually go for some custom IEM's.

I guess if you're lucky and have ears that give you a good fit with any of the standard sleeves it should approximate a custom fit?
post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Because I've never found the foam sleeves of my se535's all that comfortable, I decided to have some custom ear pieces made for the se535's after having impressions of my ears. Those custom ear pieces made my se535's very comfortable, the only problem is I lost them while moving home. I've tried the se535's with their foam sleeves with my GS-Xmk2 and they sound very good, but I might eventually go for some custom IEM's.

good to know! I never had fit issues with standard se535 fit. cant wait to try them with my GSX! Thanks for the tip!

 

 

Edit: sorry thought I was at the GSX thread. now back to the evil 009 that perverts innocent ears!very_evil_smiley.gif


Edited by Cante Ista - 6/14/13 at 6:03pm
post #70 of 70

A sad day for music when a man can't listen to anything below SR-009.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › I´ve been ruined by the Stax SR-009 sound