Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Negative Aspects of Top CIEMs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Negative Aspects of Top CIEMs - Page 4

post #46 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Do you think that is particular to the UERM? Or all clear acrylic CIEM's? I imagine if it was an issue with all CIEM's - the option for clear canals wouldn't be so popular.
It is valid for all clear iems. It looks pretty gross.
post #47 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post


It is valid for all clear iems. It looks pretty gross.

Would you say (one anal guy to another) that if you stay on top of it...

 

 

 that you can for the most part keep them clean and clear?

post #48 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Do you think that is particular to the UERM? Or all clear acrylic CIEM's? I imagine if it was an issue with all CIEM's - the option for clear canals wouldn't be so popular.


Actually clear canals allow the user to see and remove earwax more easily.  I imagine that's why they are popular.

 

Clear shells appeal to the technical minded; the sort of person interested in seeing the engine in the car... If you pay for 6 drivers you might want to see them.  I notice many CIEM reviewers often opt for clear or at least a transparent colour.

post #49 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

Negative aspects of customs? How about the huge hit you take on resale if you're not happy with them for any reason? Or, in my case, the FutureSonics MG6Pro drivers are ruined if one tries to re-mold... so mine have no resale value, and I'm stuck with them. Basically they're a paperweight. I don't like their sound at all anymore now that I own the Fitear ToGo 334. So I'm thoroughly soured on customs, and will never purchase another especially since there are many awesome 'pseudo-custom' universals coming out such as Heir Audio 4.ai, TG!334, Aurisonics ASG-2 (next one I plan on trying), etc etc. And your friends can try them and hear what you enjoy. Rant over.....

I feel like a dick saying this, but if you're doing thorough research, there is no reason you should be in this quagmire.  

post #50 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post


It is valid for all clear iems. It looks pretty gross.

Can anyone upload a photo of some clear CIEMs that haven't been cleaned on a normal basis? Just want to see how they might look like. Even my dark purple CIEMs look nasty after daily use without cleaning. They become dull and loose their shine. 

 

 

I do plan on clear shells maybe my next round. It is pretty hard to see the drivers with translucent colors.

post #51 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Can anyone upload a photo of some clear CIEMs that haven't been cleaned on a normal basis? Just want to see how they might look like. Even my dark purple CIEMs look nasty after daily use without cleaning. They become dull and loose their shine. 


I do plan on clear shells maybe my next round. It is pretty hard to see the drivers with translucent colors.
Sure, but you will have to wait for few days. I just cleaned my ciem today.
post #52 of 106

this is an interesting thread, i will keep reading this thread though i personally dont own any ciem so cant join in on the conversation

post #53 of 106

This will be a very resourceful thread.

 

Most people wants to feel contented with their purchase and wouldn't voice out the cons until they're ready to get rid of them.

 

Whether it is ciem or uiem, there are cons and pros to consider. 

post #54 of 106

Take a look at the for sale/trade thread - there are a couple of CIEMs that have yellow canals. You'd think they'd edit their photos - increase the resale value. It's common sense - always show what you are selling in the best possible light.

post #55 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Take a look at the for sale/trade thread - there are a couple of CIEMs that have yellow canals. You'd think they'd edit their photos - increase the resale value. It's common sense - always show what you are selling in the best possible light.

Editing the photos would be a form of fraud, so that's one reason not to.

 

Reason two is obvious.  If you're buying used CIEMs you're going to get them re-shelled and the canals will all be new.  Thus the colour isn't an issue.

post #56 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

Negative aspects of customs? How about the huge hit you take on resale if you're not happy with them for any reason? Or, in my case, the FutureSonics MG6Pro drivers are ruined if one tries to re-mold... so mine have no resale value, and I'm stuck with them. Basically they're a paperweight. I don't like their sound at all anymore now that I own the Fitear ToGo 334. So I'm thoroughly soured on customs, and will never purchase another especially since there are many awesome 'pseudo-custom' universals coming out such as Heir Audio 4.ai, TG!334, Aurisonics ASG-2 (next one I plan on trying), etc etc. And your friends can try them and hear what you enjoy. Rant over.....

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlesnick View Post

I feel like a dick saying this, but if you're doing thorough research, there is no reason you should be in this quagmire.  

 

I disagree. I read pages upon pages for months here, carefully selecting what custom I wanted. Read all about how to get the best impressions, what audiologists to use in my area, etc-etc. None of it will tell you what you're going to think of the sound, or how your ears will react to having something stuffed so deep in. There are many more variables in the customs process than with universals, and like I said if you're not happy with the sound, you take such a huge hit. 

post #57 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

Negative aspects of customs? How about the huge hit you take on resale if you're not happy with them for any reason? Or, in my case, the FutureSonics MG6Pro drivers are ruined if one tries to re-mold... so mine have no resale value, and I'm stuck with them. Basically they're a paperweight. I don't like their sound at all anymore now that I own the Fitear ToGo 334. So I'm thoroughly soured on customs, and will never purchase another especially since there are many awesome 'pseudo-custom' universals coming out such as Heir Audio 4.ai, TG!334, Aurisonics ASG-2 (next one I plan on trying), etc etc. And your friends can try them and hear what you enjoy. Rant over.....

 

 

 

I disagree. I read pages upon pages for months here, carefully selecting what custom I wanted. Read all about how to get the best impressions, what audiologists to use in my area, etc-etc. None of it will tell you what you're going to think of the sound, or how your ears will react to having something stuffed so deep in. There are many more variables in the customs process than with universals, and like I said if you're not happy with the sound, you take such a huge hit. 

You indeed do take a huge hit. You can't even return them. And if they are silicon ciem, you can't even get them reshelled, shall it not fit.

post #58 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

You indeed do take a huge hit. You can't even return them. And if they are silicon ciem, you can't even get them reshelled, shall it not fit.

 

 

wow... didnt know silicon shells cant be reshelled... imagine a totl 1k ciem that cant fit your ears... eek.gif

post #59 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

 

 

wow... didnt know silicon shells cant be reshelled... imagine a totl 1k ciem that cant fit your ears... eek.gif

I know. What a loss that would be. At least silicon generally fits much better than acrylic shells.

post #60 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

I know. What a loss that would be. At least silicon generally fits much better than acrylic shells.

 

 

i think i read that average joe (the ciem reviewer) said with a good fit, acrylic shells fit just as well...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Negative Aspects of Top CIEMs