New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scary forum ?  

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 

Spending more than 6 hours a day browsing the forum since almost a week and I could notice that there are too many banned people ! 

 

I happened to come across some threads where there were more than 4- 5 posters banned in row. What's really scary is that most of the banned guys have 3000+ posts, some even have more than 12k.

 

Being a moderator on some international forums like xda-developers, I could feel that the admins/mods here have zero tolerance policy for breaking the rules regardless of the member rank.

 

I will try to explain myself better: As far as it goes, members with huge post counts tend to have more experience and most of them are classified as trusted reviewers or posters. I am somehow concerned about the reason of the ban which could be related to a biased opinion or comments as a result of an affiliation with a brand name whatsoever rather than a typical broken rule.

 

In other way, I am skipping and ignoring posts from banned people. 

 

Please correct me if I'm over analyzing.

post #2 of 42

Spamming = temp bans. Probably accounts for a fair number.

post #3 of 42

Some long time users got banned for their first, but serious, rule violation.  There are pretty clear forum rules posted here.

 

Some long time users got banned after repeatedly breaking rules after admin warnings.

 

Some long time users got banned for getting into public fights with other members.

 

Some bans are just temporary.

 

Some bans are actually self-imposed by the users themselves because they needed a break from the forums.

 

Your concerns are valid because there are a lot of banned members.  But, the total number of members here is gigantic, so the overall percent of banning might be no different from smaller forums.

 

Perhaps the admins are overly aggressive in their banning of members, but I don't think any of them were done without the backing of posted forum rules.  When we sign up to post here, we agree to follow the rules.  In the end, it's our choice to join or not, and then to follow the rules.

 

From my personal experience, a few years ago, I broke an un-posted rule (which seems weird that there would be rules that are unposted, but it was more of a "tradition" around here).  I got a nice PM from Jude himself saying I broke a rule and asked that I not do it again.  I responded to his PM and we had a nice conversation about.  In the end, I think admins are flexible with the users here.

post #4 of 42

If it's a repeating offense when you have been warned by PM by an admin or Jude himself then you get banned. IP banned if you keep re-registering under different names or commitment of scam.

post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
Perhaps the admins are overly aggressive in their banning of members, but I don't think any of them were done without the backing of posted forum rules.  When we sign up to post here, we agree to follow the rules.  In the end, it's our choice to join or not, and then to follow the rules.

 

From my personal experience, a few years ago, I broke an un-posted rule (which seems weird that there would be rules that are unposted, but it was more of a "tradition" around here).  I got a nice PM from Jude himself saying I broke a rule and asked that I not do it again.  I responded to his PM and we had a nice conversation about.  In the end, I think admins are flexible with the users here.

 

i agree

the admin PM members when they've broken rules and they're there to talk about it

i find that they are helpful too, contributing their reviews and quick in their responses to random questions

post #6 of 42

Personally, I think some of the banned people had a long history of being rude and obnoxious.

It appears that when they do get banned, their last few posts get deleted as they were too out of line.

post #7 of 42

Very true.  Sometimes, however, the admins leave the incriminating evidence posted to serve as a reminder to others of what not to do.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Personally, I think some of the banned people had a long history of being rude and obnoxious.

It appears that when they do get banned, their last few posts get deleted as they were too out of line.

post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

Very true.  Sometimes, however, the admins leave the incriminating evidence posted to serve as a reminder to others of what not to do.

 

 

And maybe it's just me, but do a lot of them appear to be hard line Objectivists?


Edited by Chris J - 4/1/13 at 1:47pm
post #9 of 42

Sure, just like a stop sign is open to discussion and interpretation.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

And maybe it's just me, but do a lot of them apperar to be hard line Objectivists?

post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

Sure, just like a stop sign is open to discussion and interpretation.

 

 

I beleive this is what they call the strawman argument.

post #11 of 42

My point is the rules exist to be enforced.  If they aren't going to be enforced, then don't have them.  That's the beauty about posted rules...they are objective. Don't do X, or get Y.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

I beleive this is what they call the strawman argument.

post #12 of 42

People will always complain about mods, and like anyone, mods will make mistakes from time to time. But I think compared to a lot of other forums out there, the mods here are pretty fair and don't tend to exclude members from some kind of crony group like admins elsewhere sometimes do. Some forums out there wouldn't even allow a thread like this.

post #13 of 42
Ive personally broken a rule here more than once.
Generally the admins just delete the post and warn you.
They are fair and also fun to talk to on occasion.
They can be a bit... Ban happy if you don't listen to what they tell you to do, which is understandable.
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

My point is the rules exist to be enforced.  If they aren't going to be enforced, then don't have them.  That's the beauty about posted rules...they are objective. Don't do X, or get Y.

 

 

Ahhhh...

I was talking about the members who were "Banned".

A lot of the Banned members appeared to me to be hard line Audio Objectivists.

I will say no more, I do not think it is appropriate for me to be discussing the bad habits of Banned members in a public forum.

post #15 of 42

If your post was somehow bad, you more or less generally get a pm from a mod.

 

You can talk it over. Spamming just gets temp ban. Fraud is perma ban and ip is recorded.

 

The policies are pretty fair. 

 

Those who got banned are known for being a bit ragey. I like a lot of the people that were banned but I could definately see how they were. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked