Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones with equal or better soundstage than AD700 but with significantly deeper bass for <$300
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones with equal or better soundstage than AD700 but with significantly deeper bass for <$300 - Page 2

post #16 of 54

AD900. /thread.

post #17 of 54

Headphones with equal or better soundstage than AD700 but with significantly de

You definitely don't want SA5Ks. If you're definitely into getting a good amp I'd say HD650s, they are beautifully thick and warm but still retain a good sense of space but usually above $300 used. But the AD900X would give you something pretty close to that without needing an amp and within your price range if you buy used or import from Amazon Japan.
Edited by redrich2000 - 3/29/13 at 6:01am
post #18 of 54
Thread Starter 

I read many different comparisons between the AD700s and the AD900s. Most people say the bass increase isn't too large, which honestly is disappointing since to my ear the 700's have next to no bass. However I will consider them if someone can prove otherwise. I guess I could just try them out with amazon and return them if I don't the double price tag worth it. 

I can tell you that I really like the AD700's sound. It doesn't sound too harsh to me and I can listen to them forever. The only thing I ever felt they were truly missing were a nice low end. They're so close to being a completely immersive experience for me but the lack of bass always prevents them from being that.

post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardan View Post

I can tell you that I really like the AD700's sound. It doesn't sound too harsh to me and I can listen to them forever. The only thing I ever felt they were truly missing were a nice low end. They're so close to being a completely immersive experience for me but the lack of bass always prevents them from being that.

 

Well would you trade all the openness of the AD700s for a bass-heavy sound?

 

What music do you listen too anyway?

post #20 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

 

Well would you trade all the openness of the AD700s for a bass-heavy sound?

 

What music do you listen too anyway?

Honestly, probably not. I really enjoy the open soundstage they produce and feel like anything with less of a soundstage sounds too in your face and not as high quality. Then again maybe the headphones I've tried simply weren't that good and I CAN get a good sound even with a smaller soundstage. I listen to different genres. Hiphop, rock, D&B, indie, garage, low-end heavy dubstep (not that crappy mid-bass brostep), alternative, jazz. I don't listen to acoustic or classical really. So I guess I'd need to find good all-rounders seeing as I don't feel like spending money on more than one set of headphones.

post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardan View Post

Honestly, probably not. I really enjoy the open soundstage they produce and feel like anything with less of a soundstage sounds too in your face and not as high quality. Then again maybe the headphones I've tried simply weren't that good and I CAN get a good sound even with a smaller soundstage. I listen to different genres. Hiphop, rock, D&B, indie, garage, low-end heavy dubstep (not that crappy mid-bass brostep), alternative, jazz. I don't listen to acoustic or classical really. So I guess I'd need to find good all-rounders seeing as I don't feel like spending money on more than one set of headphones.

 

I feel like an Ultrasone wouldn't be an upgrade but a sidestep into another breed of headphones. They are also rather metallic sounding, I would suggest them to someone looking for a bass-head electronica headphone that doesn't care so much for sound quality and all-round performance. While everyone's going to have there own opinion and tastes, I suggest you research some of the aforementioned headphones yourself.

 

A good neutral headphone within budget would be along the lines of a Sennheiser HD600 or Beyerdynamic DT880. Both of these would be a direct upgrade to your AD700, they will not provide bass-head levels of bass however. Moving on from the 880 to the Beyerdynamic DT990, they have more bass and suit a lot of people here wanting that thump without giving up on sound quality. Both the HD600 and DT880/990 benefit from a dedicated headphone amp.


Edited by Graphicism - 3/29/13 at 9:55am
post #22 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

 

I feel like an Ultrasone wouldn't be an upgrade but a sidestep into another breed of headphones. They are also rather metallic sounding, I would suggest them to someone looking for a bass-head electronica headphone that doesn't care so much for sound quality and all-round performance. While everyone's going to have there own opinion and tastes, I suggest you research some of the aforementioned headphones yourself.

 

A good neutral headphone within budget would be along the lines of a Sennheiser HD600 or Beyerdynamic DT880. Both of these would be a direct upgrade to your AD700, they will not provide bass-head levels of bass however. Moving on from the 880 to the Beyerdynamic DT990, they have more bass and suit a lot of people here wanting that thump without giving up on sound quality. Both the HD600 and DT880/990 benefit from a dedicated headphone amp.

So let's say I went for the DT880. The $243 250ohm pro would be my ideal price. Would it be too hard to drive off of my Asus Xonar DG even though it has a "meh" headphone amp in it. I could always get an amp later on.

post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardan View Post

So let's say I went for the DT880. The $243 250ohm pro would be my ideal price. Would it be too hard to drive off of my Asus Xonar DG even though it has a "meh" headphone amp in it. I could always get an amp later on.

 

Well I can't say for sure as I don't have a Xonar DG. Using my 600Ohm DT880s however with my ($25) Chaintech AV-710 soundcard they sound okay and volume is sufficient. What they do miss however is a lot of the body, they feel thin and overly bright. When I turn it up the highs are piercing and there is no impact. So while the 250Ohm versions should give you more volume they will improve on a dedicated headphone amp, funnily enough so will your AD700s.

 

I think buying them first would be a smart move, if you don't like the sound at all (which considering your AD700s would surprise me) you can always return them. If you simply find them lacking body you can always pair them with an amp down the road.

 

For sound quality and under $300 the DT880s are unbeatable, I consider them a high-end phone.

post #24 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

 

Well I can't say for sure as I don't have a Xonar DG. Using my 600Ohm DT880s however with my ($25) Chaintech AV-710 soundcard they sound okay and volume is sufficient. What they do miss however is a lot of the body, they feel thin and overly bright. When I turn it up the highs are piercing and there is no impact. So while the 250Ohm versions should give you more volume they will improve on a dedicated headphone amp, funnily enough so will your AD700s.

 

I think buying them first would be a smart move, if you don't like the sound at all (which considering your AD700s would surprise me) you can always return them. If you simply find them lacking body you can always pair them with an amp down the road.

 

For sound quality and under $300 the DT880s are unbeatable, I consider them a high-end phone.

The Beyerdynamics always did interest me (they look like quality headphones) so this was just the push I needed to get them. I'll order around next friday and update this thread with my thoughts in hopes of helping someone else who's kind of in the same boat. Thanks for the input!

post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardan View Post

The Beyerdynamics always did interest me (they look like quality headphones) so this was just the push I needed to get them. I'll order around next friday and update this thread with my thoughts in hopes of helping someone else who's kind of in the same boat. Thanks for the input!

 

Yes please do, look forward to your impressions!

post #26 of 54

Currently listening to a pair of Sennheiser PX 100-II's at work.  Clearly an improvement over the AD700s in the bass department but still with an open sound stage.  Great headphones if you don't mind spending less than your budget.  I haven't ever done a side by side comparison of them, but will endeavor to do that this weekend.
 

post #27 of 54
Thread Starter 

Something tells me the Sennheisers wouldn't meet my needs.

post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReem View Post

Mr speakers mad dog have a bigger sound stage than the ad700 and also so do the k550. The mad dogs have powerful bass and an airy sound the k550 have good bass too with an airy sound.

 

I haven't heard the Mad Dogs, but I doubt this is true.  The AD700 is known and recommended for it's large sound stage.  The Mad Dogs is a closed ortho.  Are you sure it has a bigger sound stage than the Ad700?

post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReem View Post

Mr speakers mad dog have a bigger sound stage than the ad700 and also so do the k550. The mad dogs have powerful bass and an airy sound the k550 have good bass too with an airy sound.

The K550's does not have a bigger soundstage than the AD700.

post #30 of 54

ATs tend to have rather forward mids which reduces our perception of soundstage.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones with equal or better soundstage than AD700 but with significantly deeper bass for <$300