- 331 Posts. Joined 2/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productBeyerdynamic Custom One Protagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSennheiser MOMENTUMtagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSony MDR7502 Professional Stereo Headphonetagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSony MDR-Z1000tagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphonetagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I hve been a lurker for a while....hoping to learn more Last post on 12/21/12 at 12:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Easy to drive closed cans Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full-size headphone dilemma Help Last post on 9/17/13 at 8:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- K550 vs Hp100 vs MDR-1r? Anyone compared these? Last post on 9/28/13 at 10:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
Preamble: Superlux – the Chinese/Taiwanese company really doesn’t need any further instruction for anyone who is at least just a little into audio and headphones. Being in the...
Commercial brands are pretty much like IT girls: should one of them flash her bare belly in the street, the next day the whole town would follow to vast enjoyment of the «other half of mankind»,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Favorite Over Ear Headphones For Library Setting
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hello everyone. I'd like your opinion on what you personally think would be the most suitable over ear (not on ear) headphone for use at a library. I've been spending more and more time at the local library, and listening to earphones is not as enjoyable for me. I want a set of headphones that are comfortable, and offer great isolation as well as sound quality. Now I know there will be different opinions, but I'm just curious. I want to hear from YOU. In YOUR opinion, what's the most suitable headphone, that doesn't leak much sound out, and still offers great sound quality? No particular budget in mind. Thanks to all.
Sony: MDR-1R, V6, MDR-7520 (Z1000)
Beyer Dynamics: Custom one pro
Audio Techinica: ATH-M50
ultrasone, but it'll be quite expensive. And I just know them for being bass cans.
Edited by MrViolin - 3/26/13 at 8:44pm
Thank you MrViolin. The Sony ones seem like good choices. I'll read more about them. The Sennheiser Momentum is a great looking headphone. Does it isolate well enough for use in a library? I hadn't heard of the custom pro before, so I'll also read into that. A friend of mine owned the M50, and I didn't like the sound. Bass sounded... artificially boosted? Hope that makes sense. I've also heard that Ultrasones have too much bass, and they will leak sound. What are your thoughts on that? Thank you.
Can't say much on ultrasones since I haven't had any. Though people do indeed say they are for bassheads. Bass cans of the audiophile world. Don't know about leaking sound (might have been mentioned but I've long forgotten)
As for the Momentum
so I suppose not.
That makes sense for the m50's. Though I'm not sure which model it is (old or current). They do have quite a bit of bass extension and were originally meant as cheap basshead cans. The revision has made them more monitor-like, but it still has quite a bit of bass.
The soundmagic hp100 seems to be getting a bunch of recs, but I don't know how well it isolates.
As for the z1000 and the 7520, they're essentially the same, but the 7520 has slightly changed innards and slightly different padding along with the foam/mesh that covers the drivers (cover for the 7520 is more like that of the mdr-1r). Branches are colored differently, sticker, and the cable. Otherwise, they both essentially the same (magnesium cups, drivers). Though there have been recorded cases of rattling, so I'd go check the z1000 thread. People will either love the z1000 or hate it (or find it odd sounding).
The MDR-1R is what many describe to me the most comfortable, if not one of them. Its construction consists mainly of plastic (the cups, branches), but the extenders are metal (presumably magnesium since sony loves it). Great portable phone and for listening in a relatively quiet environment. Again, the z1000 thread, as of late, has had some comparisons between the mdr-1r and z1000.
"One of D7100’s greatest strengths is the noise isolation. Almost all high-end headphones are open, here the Denons are one of the few exceptions along with some Ultrasone models. Unlike some other "closed" headphones however, the D7100 headphones actually does isolate - not as much as IEMs or certain on-ears, of course, but still quite good. Outside noise has never been an issue for me while wearing the D7100.
This also opens up a new field of use: A quiet room is no longer necessary, the D7100 can be used outside just as well. Add the fact that the D7100 can be driven easily by a portable player and you get a possible solution for a semi-portable rig that does not require an external amp. Personally I could hardly notice any differences between my Cowon J3 and the “big” system when using the D7100."
I'll Amazon prime these, give them a try, and hopefully stick with them. I'll report back in a few days.
- Favorite Over Ear Headphones For Library Setting
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 3 seconds ago
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 9 seconds ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › What are your source components? 1 minute ago
- › Smallest budget IEM? 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions... 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 3 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 3 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › ZMF Headphones x Vibro MK II by Cinder
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...