- 331 Posts. Joined 2/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productBeyerdynamic Custom One Pro Blacktagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSennheiser Momentumtagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSony MDR7502 Professional Stereo Headphonetagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSony MDR-Z1000tagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
- productSoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphones (Black)tagged by jacksonchansf, 3/31/13
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I hve been a lurker for a while....hoping to learn more Last post on 12/21/12 at 12:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Easy to drive closed cans Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full-size headphone dilemma Help Last post on 9/17/13 at 8:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- K550 vs Hp100 vs MDR-1r? Anyone compared these? Last post on 9/28/13 at 10:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
Favorite Over Ear Headphones For Library Settingpost #1 of 113/26/13 at 7:03pmThread StarterHello everyone. I'd like your opinion on what you personally think would be the most suitable over ear (not on ear) headphone for use at a library. I've been spending more and more time at the local library, and listening to earphones is not as enjoyable for me. I want a set of headphones that are comfortable, and offer great isolation as well as sound quality. Now I know there will be different opinions, but I'm just curious. I want to hear from YOU. In YOUR opinion, what's the most suitable headphone, that doesn't leak much sound out, and still offers great sound quality? No particular budget in mind. Thanks to all.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 113/26/13 at 8:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by Oof Oink
Hello everyone. I'd like your opinion on what you personally think would be the most suitable over ear (not on ear) headphone for use at a library. I've been spending more and more time at the local library, and listening to earphones is not as enjoyable for me. I want a set of headphones that are comfortable, and offer great isolation as well as sound quality. Now I know there will be different opinions, but I'm just curious. I want to hear from YOU. In YOUR opinion, what's the most suitable headphone, that doesn't leak much sound out, and still offers great sound quality? No particular budget in mind. Thanks to all.
Sony: MDR-1R, V6, MDR-7520 (Z1000)
Beyer Dynamics: Custom one pro
Audio Techinica: ATH-M50
ultrasone, but it'll be quite expensive. And I just know them for being bass cans.
Edited by MrViolin - 3/26/13 at 8:44pmpost #3 of 113/27/13 at 1:50pmThread StarterThank you MrViolin. The Sony ones seem like good choices. I'll read more about them. The Sennheiser Momentum is a great looking headphone. Does it isolate well enough for use in a library? I hadn't heard of the custom pro before, so I'll also read into that. A friend of mine owned the M50, and I didn't like the sound. Bass sounded... artificially boosted? Hope that makes sense. I've also heard that Ultrasones have too much bass, and they will leak sound. What are your thoughts on that? Thank you.post #4 of 113/27/13 at 9:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by Oof Oink
Thank you MrViolin. The Sony ones seem like good choices. I'll read more about them. The Sennheiser Momentum is a great looking headphone. Does it isolate well enough for use in a library? I hadn't heard of the custom pro before, so I'll also read into that. A friend of mine owned the M50, and I didn't like the sound. Bass sounded... artificially boosted? Hope that makes sense. I've also heard that Ultrasones have too much bass, and they will leak sound. What are your thoughts on that? Thank you.
Can't say much on ultrasones since I haven't had any. Though people do indeed say they are for bassheads. Bass cans of the audiophile world. Don't know about leaking sound (might have been mentioned but I've long forgotten)
As for the Momentum
so I suppose not.
That makes sense for the m50's. Though I'm not sure which model it is (old or current). They do have quite a bit of bass extension and were originally meant as cheap basshead cans. The revision has made them more monitor-like, but it still has quite a bit of bass.post #5 of 113/28/13 at 3:02pmThread StarterUltrasone is no longer on my short list. Shame about the Momentum not isolating well. After some more reading, I'm also considering the Sony Z1000 and MDR-1R. They both look great, but I didn't find many direct comparisons. Any others I should consider?post #6 of 113/28/13 at 7:51pmQuote:
The soundmagic hp100 seems to be getting a bunch of recs, but I don't know how well it isolates.
As for the z1000 and the 7520, they're essentially the same, but the 7520 has slightly changed innards and slightly different padding along with the foam/mesh that covers the drivers (cover for the 7520 is more like that of the mdr-1r). Branches are colored differently, sticker, and the cable. Otherwise, they both essentially the same (magnesium cups, drivers). Though there have been recorded cases of rattling, so I'd go check the z1000 thread. People will either love the z1000 or hate it (or find it odd sounding).
The MDR-1R is what many describe to me the most comfortable, if not one of them. Its construction consists mainly of plastic (the cups, branches), but the extenders are metal (presumably magnesium since sony loves it). Great portable phone and for listening in a relatively quiet environment. Again, the z1000 thread, as of late, has had some comparisons between the mdr-1r and z1000.post #7 of 113/30/13 at 10:09pmThread Starterpost #8 of 114/1/13 at 11:40amThread StarterI've seen the Denon D7100 selling for less and less. I know it doesn't get much praise here, but if it isolated well, I'll most likely purchase one through Amazon. I'm worried about bass leakage. Anyone know if the D7100 isolates well enough to be used in a very quiet environment, such as a library?post #9 of 114/1/13 at 12:23pmThread StarterI found my answer. In case anyone else comes across the same question, I found my answer in Mad Dude's review of the D7100, here on Head-Fi. He states the following:
"One of D7100’s greatest strengths is the noise isolation. Almost all high-end headphones are open, here the Denons are one of the few exceptions along with some Ultrasone models. Unlike some other "closed" headphones however, the D7100 headphones actually does isolate - not as much as IEMs or certain on-ears, of course, but still quite good. Outside noise has never been an issue for me while wearing the D7100.
This also opens up a new field of use: A quiet room is no longer necessary, the D7100 can be used outside just as well. Add the fact that the D7100 can be driven easily by a portable player and you get a possible solution for a semi-portable rig that does not require an external amp. Personally I could hardly notice any differences between my Cowon J3 and the “big” system when using the D7100."
I'll Amazon prime these, give them a try, and hopefully stick with them. I'll report back in a few days.post #10 of 114/2/13 at 6:30pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Favorite Over Ear Headphones For Library Setting
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 30 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 33 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 1 minute ago
- › Digital Multimeter Extech? 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Over-The-Ear Headphones under $200?? 1 minute ago
- › New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC" 2 minutes ago
- › Choosing hd 598, how bad is the sound leak? 2 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude