Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › 100 dollar range earphone with detailed precise sound reproduction?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

100 dollar range earphone with detailed precise sound reproduction?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 

Hello community,

 

I am looking for a earphone priced around 100 dollars that has detailed, precise sound reproduction, do you have any suggestions?

 

I listen to classical music and soft music; I rarely listen to music that has strong bass so I don't have any requirement for it.

 

If 100 range is too low to meet my requirement, then what price range should I expect? And what earphone do you suggest?

 

Thank you in advance.

post #2 of 38

The HF5, RE0, RE-ZERO, Sony EX600 and Klipsch image X10 are great buy under this budget with detailed overall soundquality and they all improve further with AMPs help.

post #3 of 38
Thread Starter 

@HFAUDIOPHILE

 

Thank you for your quick reply.

 

I see Klipsch image s4i for 109.99 in my local store. Is this one any good?

 

I will take some time to do some research on the ones that you suggested; and do you have any suggestion for Senn and Bose?

 

Many thanks!

post #4 of 38

Why get the s4i when you can have the X10 for the same or lower price from Amazon?  And at $100 none of the Sennheiser or Bose will make you happy.

post #5 of 38

vsonic gr04 flagship edition or Logitech UE 600 may be a good option for you too

post #6 of 38

I'd say the HiFiMAN RE-400 is a good choice.

post #7 of 38
The s4i, Bose, and Senns at your price point will be the opposite of what your asking for.

Etymotic HF5, base model Phonak, RE-400, Meelec A161P, Vsonics entry level BA based IEM.

Take a peek at Joker's review thread in your price range focusing on neutral IEM's plus look at more expensive models used or on sale near your price range.
post #8 of 38
Thread Starter 

@dweaver

 

Thank you!

 

Currently I have these four in mind:

 

HIFIMAN RE-400, Meelec A161P, Rock it sounds r-50, Klipsch Image x10.

 

I personally like the Meelec A161P and Klipsch Image x10 because I saw a lot of positive reviews on Amazon for them.

 

If you were me, which one will you go for?

 

many thanks!

post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoeA View Post

@dweaver

 

Thank you!

 

Currently I have these four in mind:

 

HIFIMAN RE-400, Meelec A161P, Rock it sounds r-50, Klipsch Image x10.

 

I personally like the Meelec A161P and Klipsch Image x10 because I saw a lot of positive reviews on Amazon for them.

 

If you were me, which one will you go for?

 

many thanks!

Tough call, but other than sound I do think the X10 edge out in comfort, especially with Comply Foam Tips.  And the leather box that comes with the X10 is very nice and compact too.

post #10 of 38
Thread Starter 

@DrSheep

 

Thanks!

 

I see you personally own a x10, how do you like it? How good is it in terms of build quality? Does it come with a holder? Does it have the iPod control?

 

Thanks!

post #11 of 38
I think if you can get the X10 for $100 that is a good price. I would read Joker's review of both Meelec and Klipsch then buy the one that sounds like it would suite your musical needs best. Then worry about comfort and microphonics.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoeA View Post

@DrSheep

 

Thanks!

 

I see you personally own a x10, how do you like it? How good is it in terms of build quality? Does it come with a holder? Does it have the iPod control?

 

Thanks!

It is my current value and comfort champ of my lot, and it is very well built and loads of tips with a very nice (second only to my W4R) leather box.  No in-line mic of iPod controls (unless you pay $300 for the X10i), but that's just one less thing to break as most people break their IEMs because of dirt and sweat getting into those, plus if you are getting an AMP/DAC later those will become useless.  I posted about the X10 on various trends, so if you search around you will be able to found them.  Let me know if you have more questions.

post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoeA View Post

...detailed, precise sound reproduction...

 

I listen to classical music and soft music; I rarely listen to music that has strong bass so I don't have any requirement for it.

Why would anyone suggest Klipsch x10??? With all due respect to those who mentioned Klipsch x10, I don't think it fits what the OP is looking for. It has strong bass; the OP clearly stated that he has no need for strong bass.

 

Here's my advice, strictly based on my experience : Stick to Etymotic; for around $100 you can get either HF5, or if you want iPod control, HF3. Rock-it R-50 and HiFiMan RE-400 also fits your preferences, but neither has iPod control.

 

Or if you are willing to spend more or buy 2nd-hand, I'd suggest Etymotic ER-4S; it is as detailed and precise as IEMs go in my opinion.


Edited by Deadlovestory - 3/27/13 at 3:11am
post #14 of 38
Thread Starter 

@Deadlovestory

 

Thank you for pointing this out.

 

I also knew about the strong bass characteristic of x10 after reading |Joker|'s review post.

 

I think that I will stick with HiFiMAN's RE-400 since according to |Joker|'s review, this earphone kind of have the best value(I understand it as the highst performance price ratio?)

 

Thanks!

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoeA View Post

@Deadlovestory

 

Thank you for pointing this out.

 

I also knew about the strong bass characteristic of x10 after reading |Joker|'s review post.

 

I think that I will stick with HiFiMAN's RE-400 since according to |Joker|'s review, this earphone kind of have the best value(I understand it as the highst performance price ratio?)

 

Thanks!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlovestory View Post

Why would anyone suggest Klipsch x10??? With all due respect to those who mentioned Klipsch x10, I don't think it fits what the OP is looking for. It has strong bass; the OP clearly stated that he has no need for strong bass.

 

Here's my advice, strictly based on my experience : Stick to Etymotic; for around $100 you can get either HF5, or if you want iPod control, HF3. Rock-it R-50 and HiFiMan RE-400 also fits your preferences, but neither has iPod control.

 

Or if you are willing to spend more or buy 2nd-hand, I'd suggest Etymotic ER-4S; it is as detailed and precise as IEMs go in my opinion.

There are many different soundsignature IEMs available in the market and OP has to decide whats most important in soundsignature like Etymotic HF5, ER4P/S are highly detailed and compete very well to top tier IEMs with much higher price tag  for showing hidden detailed but they are little sounding with good bass response and extended highs. Other IEMs like RE0, RE_ZERO, RE-400 are also very detailed, well balanced  and nor cold or warm sounding IEMs. Klipsch image X10 is very warm sounding(Klipsch Signature Sound found on all its products) like Grado headphones but added bass is amzing(used specialy made horn BA driver for Klipsch only) and they sound bassy but still balanced and mids, highs are very detailed(i think it best value if someone wants very detailed yet fun sounding IEMs). Klipsch S4i, Bose IE2, Sennheiser 500 series IEMs are much less detailed than above recommended IEMs and they emphessis on bass and overall fun warm sound. So for added bass but still detailed sounding IEMs like X10, Sony XB90EX, JVC FXD80, Yamaha EPH100 are highly recommended and balanced sound without being warm or cold sound RE0, RE-ZERO, RE-400, Sony EX600 are also great buy. But for highly detailed sound with extended highs and more isolation, Etymotic HF5, ER4P/S are amazing for the price to shows all hidden details.


Edited by HFAUDIOPHILE - 3/27/13 at 7:35am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › 100 dollar range earphone with detailed precise sound reproduction?