Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD600 vs HD650 vs Maddogs vs DT880's for metal/rock and all-round use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD600 vs HD650 vs Maddogs vs DT880's for metal/rock and all-round use. - Page 3

post #31 of 105
Really, if you can find a store where you can get a good try out or a headhone meet, that would be your best bet. As you can see from a lot of the replies in this thread, what sounds awesome to one person may sound terrible to someone else. The Sennheisers are a little mellow and laid back compared to the Beyer 880's which may take away from energetic music like rock or metal.. I tried the 880's briefly and probably would prefer them to my HD-600's especially for rock and metal, but I preferred the midrange on the AKG 702 a little bit.

I didn't find that the HD 600 and 650 sounded radically different from each other. I think you would probably be quite happy with the 880's and a good amp.
post #32 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarrymen View Post

So after reading through this thread again I'm really getting confused.

 

The HD650 and Maddogs are known for being really laid back HP's while the HD600 and DT880 are livelier.

 

Generally speaking smooth and laidback don't do metal/rock well, right?

 

From laid-back to lively it would go HD650 > HD600 > DT880

 

A lot of rock and especially metal are harsh, a headphone like the DT880 can quite often be over bearing. The HD650 on the other hand smooths out the edges, it can make a so-so recording into a great one.

post #33 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

 

From laid-back to lively it would go HD650 > HD600 > DT880

 

A lot of rock and especially metal are harsh, a headphone like the DT880 can quite often be over bearing. The HD650 on the other hand smooths out the edges, it can make a so-so recording into a great one.


So by that reasoning the Grados are horribly suited for metal/rock?

post #34 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

 

The HD650 on the other hand smooths out the edges, it can make a so-so recording into a great one.

 

This has not been my experience at all. I really have to insist on the 'not at all' part.

post #35 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarrymen View Post

So by that reasoning the Grados are horribly suited for metal/rock?

 

I'm not a Grado fan so I can't say, do people still buy Grados?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineReggae View Post

This has not been my experience at all. I really have to insist on the 'not at all' part.

 

You find the HD650 bright and revealing?

post #36 of 105

I own both Sennheiser HD600 and HD650.

If you're going to buy one of the Sennheisers for rock/metal. I'd suggest the HD650. The bass really isn't really there enough on the HD600.

post #37 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

 

I'm not a Grado fan so I can't say, do people still buy Grados?

 

 

 

You find the HD650 bright and revealing?


I think the Grados are pretty much the exact opposite of the HD650, that's what I tried to say.

post #38 of 105
bump
post #39 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post

I own both Sennheiser HD600 and HD650.


If you're going to buy one of the Sennheisers for rock/metal. I'd suggest the HD650. The bass really isn't really there enough on the HD600.

But isn't the HD650 too smooth and laidback for metal/rock?
post #40 of 105
Thread Starter 
Found something interesting here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/567749/bought-tested-sennheiser-hd650-beyerdynamic-dt880-600ohm-akg-k702-18-august-2011
post #41 of 105
I have the Mad Dogs and pretty much only listen to metal. I have not tried the Senns or the Beyers, but I can say that the Mad Dogs are SO MUCH FUN with rock and metal. They do have a kind of warm, laid back sound, but still retain that very nice detail in the high end. The bass is tight, which is perfect for double bass pedals and fast bass licks. My favorite feature has to be the mids though....they are in your face, but never aggressive on the ears. You can crank these loud and never fatigue your ears. Also, the comfort is pretty much on par with the LCD2s. I would definitely recommend the Mad Dogs, and with Dan Clark's amazing customer service, it should be a no brainer at 300$.
post #42 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gduclos View Post

I have the Mad Dogs and pretty much only listen to metal. I have not tried the Senns or the Beyers, but I can say that the Mad Dogs are SO MUCH FUN with rock and metal. They do have a kind of warm, laid back sound, but still retain that very nice detail in the high end. The bass is tight, which is perfect for double bass pedals and fast bass licks. My favorite feature has to be the mids though....they are in your face, but never aggressive on the ears. You can crank these loud and never fatigue your ears. Also, the comfort is pretty much on par with the LCD2s. I would definitely recommend the Mad Dogs, and with Dan Clark's amazing customer service, it should be a no brainer at 300$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post

 

Well whoever wrote that is retarded. All I listen to on the HD 580/600/650's is rock an electronic and they're amazing. 

 

I don't think many people take Grado seriously any more. They are only for people who like insanely bright/inaccurate sound. 

 

Certainly avoid the modified T50RP's as they are very boring and not as detailed compared to the Senns. 

 

AKG's are also really boring because of severe lack of dynamics.

 

This guy disagrees with you...

post #43 of 105
There's going to be a lot of variance. you're just going to have to pull the trigger on something and find out for yourself. Previously, all I read consistently was that beyers had scooped out mids and I didn't like the idea of that so I avoided beyers because of that but I found a pair of dt880s in my price range and figured that if I didn't like them, I'll just sell them here. Got them, not selling them. absolutely love them. But i'm sure there are people that had the opposite experience. you're just going to have to try them out for yourself.
post #44 of 105

I have listen my friend system: ODAC > V200 > HD650 (also pair with my amp like m stage , o2 , kumisa ck2iii). And from what i hear, i would not recommend HD650 for rock/metal, especially metal.

 

DT880 high impedance version should be fine, but it has a little bit harsh on the top range that could cause ear fatigue.


Edited by conheo - 4/6/13 at 5:36am
post #45 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by conheo View Post

I have listen my friend system: ODAC > V200 > HD650 (also pair with my amp like m stage , o2 , kumisa ck2iii). And from what i hear, i would not recommend HD650 for rock/metal, especially metal.

 

DT880 high impedance version should be fine, but it has a little bit harsh on the top range that could cause ear fatigue.


Yeah, DavidMahler said this on the HD650: "However, whereas the HD650 carries the impact of a boxing glove jab, the RS2 feels more like a raw closed-fist punch to the face."

 

This would be your experience also?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD600 vs HD650 vs Maddogs vs DT880's for metal/rock and all-round use.