or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › AURALiC owners unite!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AURALiC owners unite! - Page 15

post #211 of 1863

Thanks! Will try that

post #212 of 1863

Speaking of balanced output on Taurus. I have finally got balanced cable for HD650. Holly smokes, I never thought that HD650 is so detailed AND fast. :eek: They really rock now, even with speed metal, amazing PRAT. 

post #213 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSena View Post

Congrats Xahhax! That setup looks absolutely gorgeous... Hope you have the time to share your impressions soon. wink.gif

 

Ok, here are some:
- the build quality and the display are fantastic
- the menu navigation is great
- the remote control is a piece of plastic garbage that does not match the unit itself. I did not even bother putting batteries inside. Back in the box
- the sound is amazing. My 2 DACs were the WA2 and the cambridge audio DAC Magic 100
post #214 of 1863

xahhax - BTW would placing the WA2 on top of the Vega causes any interference?

post #215 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne View Post
 

xahhax - BTW would placing the WA2 on top of the Vega causes any interference?

 

that was just for the picture :-)

post #216 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Has anyone tried to cover pin 1 and 4 on USB PC side with tape? I've learned this trick from Yulong DA8 thread and I swear it made already impeccable sound from USB even cleaner, background is completely black (like pitch pitch black) now and I feel that soundstage expanded a bit as a result of it.

It's free an IMO well worth the try.


hello Andrew,

is this trick the same as having an iFi USB Power in the middle, with the ground lift on and with the power supply unplugged?

I'm asking because I have an iFi USB and I cannot seem to hear (or I very hardly hear) any difference, but if it's something different I will give it a try even if I'm totally unable when it comes to fine manual works :-(

post #217 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Speaking of balanced output on Taurus. I have finally got balanced cable for HD650. Holly smokes, I never thought that HD650 is so detailed AND fast. :eek: They really rock now, even with speed metal, amazing PRAT. 


:-) :-)

after my first 5min with vega-taurus-HE500 in unbal mode (signal and hphone), I immediately switch to full balanced... a completely different world :-)

 

btw, it is quite strange just looking to the tech specs, since at the impedance of the he500 the taurus should put out more power in unbal mode.... but, hey, my hears are telling something different :-)


Edited by phaeton70 - 12/15/13 at 8:50am
post #218 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaeton70 View Post
 


:-) :-)

after my first 5min with vega-taurus-HE500 in unbal mode (signal and hphone), I immediately switch to full balanced... a completely different world :-)

 

btw, it is quite strange just looking to the tech specs, since at the impedance of the he500 the taurus should put out more power in unbal mode.... but, hey, my hears are telling something different :-)

 

I prefer the HE6 in BAL mode, so that's even more strange - Wattage wise. I like the HE500 in STD mode - but then again, I have the MkI.Vintage is always better ,P

post #219 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaeton70 View Post
 
hello Andrew,

is this trick the same as having an iFi USB Power in the middle, with the ground lift on and with the power supply unplugged?

I'm asking because I have an iFi USB and I cannot seem to hear (or I very hardly hear) any difference, but if it's something different I will give it a try even if I'm totally unable when it comes to fine manual works :-(

Not sure, I couldn't hear any sonic difference with iUSB Power but it made Vega less stable in EXACT mode, guess all these extra connections or iUSB itself were adding extra jitter. Ditched it and never looked back.

I believe the tape trick is quite audible, plus it's free and takes less than 2 minutes to apply.

post #220 of 1863

ok,I think I'll give it a try then.......

post #221 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post
 

 

I prefer the HE6 in BAL mode, so that's even more strange - Wattage wise. I like the HE500 in STD mode - but then again, I have the MkI.Vintage is always better ,P

 

Yeah more power is not necessarily always the answer - assuming of course that the lower power option is not grossly deficient for the given headphone. I like having two options available though..... you can mix and match headphones/cables and find different combos that you like for different reasons. 

post #222 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

Yeah more power is not necessarily always the answer - assuming of course that the lower power option is not grossly deficient for the given headphone. I like having two options available though..... you can mix and match headphones/cables and find different combos that you like for different reasons. 

 

That is really one of the big bonuses of the Taurus - the ability to choose between the detail-freak-BAL-mode and the smooth more laid back STD-mode. But the difference isn't like two totally differrent amps, it's like flavors of the same. 

post #223 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post
 
That is really one of the big bonuses of the Taurus - the ability to choose between the detail-freak-BAL-mode and the smooth more laid back STD-mode. But the difference isn't like two totally differrent amps, it's like flavors of the same. 

BAL/STD button makes it too easy. :smile: Combine it with filters on Vega and you can tune the system to pretty much any headphone/material combination.

post #224 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

BAL/STD button makes it too easy. :smile: Combine it with filters on Vega and you can tune the system to pretty much any headphone/material combination.

 

Reading you signature - How does Auralic it compare to your DA8/GS1-rig?

post #225 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

BAL/STD button makes it too easy. :smile: Combine it with filters on Vega and you can tune the system to pretty much any headphone/material combination.

 

Reading you signature - How does Auralic it compare to your DA8/GS1-rig?

It was a while since I had them side by side as one is serving as office rig now.

Quick observations from memory.

GS-1 is slightly more aggressive and restrained, doesn't have the same effortless, fluid and relaxed way of projecting material as Taurus. Other than that, voicing is extremely close, both are almost dead on neutral, with Taurus maybe a pinch warmer, with more authority down low and a bigger soundstage, esp. balanced but it's not really fair comparing that to SE GS-1.

 

With DACs it's harder, Vega is certainly more detailed and transparent, DA8 is "fun", it has pretty interesting tuning with slamming, head bobbing inducing bass and forward and full midrange. Soundstage is smaller, that combined with not as high resolving ability as Vega makes it sound congested when things get busy, but that in comparison to Vega (I guess anything would). :smile:

They both share that nice, non aggressive way of delivering details, only one does it much better than another, which is quite a welcome change from Conductor I owned before, that thing was brutal by shoving them into your face with laser cut, sharp treble.

I'd say both DA8 and Vega do it more in a Chord DAC64 way, i.e. more analogue than digital, when all details are there but don't jump on you. And I should say that DA8 has stellar USB implementation too.

Onboard amp is "okay" :cool: but doesn't do DAC proper justice, can do for most but very amp demanding headphones, but if you want the absolute best out of it, separate amp is a must.

 

Project86 has both DA8 and Vega, hope he can chime in with his take on two.


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 12/16/13 at 1:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › AURALiC owners unite!