Originally Posted by Chodi
I think it has be stated many times that the Taurus is not optimal for the HE6. There are about a hundred other headphones that can be powered wonderfully by the Taurus. I don't get this obsession with the HE6. It is only one headphone. It is not the best pairing with the Taurus. We all agree now lets move on.
I think it is wrong to rule out the HE-6 for the Taurus, just because there are even better amps. Let me elaborate:
1) The HE-6 is a great headphone with the Taurus. If you want to spend 1000-1500 USD on a heaphone for the Taurus the HE-6 might very well be a great choice. It depends on taste and preferences. It is a high end setup, even if there are even better amps. I'd rather spend the rest of my life with HE-6 an Taurus than a range of other highly praised combos.
2) The Taurus has been declared a great amp for the HE-6 by some rewievers. Granberg think it makes the HE-6 sound like a true flagship (here) Guttenberg thinks it clearly bests EF6 (here), both say it's the best they have heard with the HE-6. These opinions at least supports the notion that the HE-6/Taurus combo is good sounding, worth owning.
3) I have tried several powerful speaker amps in and above Taurus' price league, without getting a significantly better result than the Taurus. Other people I know have tried other (and highly expensive) speaker amps, without getting better results than the powerful headphone amps. A random powerful speaker amp is by no means necessarily better sounding than the Taurus.
4) There is no reason to doubt that the Woo WA5 is better. It is also way more expensive. I think the Master 9 is clearly better than the Taurus with the HE-6, but the Taurus was clearly better than the Mjolnir and the V200. Hey, I even think the HE-6 sounds pretty awsome with the WA22 - even if I know it's not optimal I enjoy it no the less.
5) There is no reason to doubt that certain speaker amps are superb with the HE-6. And some might be less expensive than the Taurus. But they are useless with other headphones.
6) All headphones are better with better amplifiers, but the HE-6 is more scalable than most headphones. Since they are power hugry, I think lots of people attribute enhanced percieved SQ with power, but lets not forget that there is more to it.
Edited by ardilla - 3/23/15 at 8:14am