This is my first post here and I just want to say how the people here are so informative and helpful! It's an awesome place for researching about all things audio.
I want to start investing into a good audio setup for listening to music in my bedroom with my Macbook Air (mid 2012) as the main source (and maybe occasionally connect my iPod touch 4G or video 5.5G to the speakers via a LOD).
So basically at the moment I have no speakers, DAC or amp. All I have are 320 kbps MP3s and some FLACs and a total budget of roughly $350-400 usd (£230-260 pounds). Budget is slightly flexible, especially if there's something worth getting due to superior SQ. Also, I would rather spend more on the speakers and get a cheaper dac/amp for the time being because I could upgrade these easier than the speakers. Or does anyone have any better suggestions as to how I should spend my budget? I want to get it right the first time around... :)
I listen to a wide range of genres, most commonly electronic, downtempo, dance, indie/alternative, chill, modern rock, pop, R&B, soul, jazz and blues, with the exception of metal, rap, hip-hop and hard rock.
Here are some of my criteria for my new speakers:
- I want enough bass but not room shaking bass
- A small footprint due to limited desk space (maximum 6.5" or tops 7" deep) <-- Important criterion
- I don't have enough desk space to have # inches behind the speakers to get a good sound. I think that means having a "front ported" speaker?
- I don't mind passive or active speakers. I'm looking for the best SQ within this budget range
- I don't need to play music loudly. I want to be able to hear detail in lower to medium volumes if possible.
- If possible I want to have a DAC/amp combo instead of two separate boxes. But I'm very open to any suggestions, again best SQ is my main concern
- I want my DAC/amp combo or standalone DAC to be able to run my ear/headphones if I wanted to listen to my music without speakers (I mainly use IEMs, Shure SE215 and E4g, the Koss PortaPro and probably a Sennheiser Momentum / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / ATH M50 in the future.)
What's on my list after researching:
(Please do recommend anything not on this list! :D)
- Audioengine A2 (active)
- Microlabs SOLO6c (active)
- Audioengine P4 (passive)
- Q Acoustics 2020i (passive)
Amplifier (for passives)
- Lepai LP-2020A+
- Dragonfly DAC (out of budget at the moment but with a separate budget of around $300usd is this the best dac/amp combo around?
- Fiio e10
I'm residing in Ireland at the moment and I find that many brands that I find recommended on the forums here are not always available, e.g. Swan M10s or the Dayton B652s.
Thanks so much in advance for whatever input you have to my question. I can't wait to get my desktop rig up and running!
Edited by vermilions - 3/24/13 at 10:51am