Gosh, what a mess. I finally got courage to take the can apart again (hate doing that) and started to remove the stock padding. The glue holding that stuff on could have held together the Columbia space craft, I swear (too soon?). Some was ripped off, but I don't think it will be a big deal after reassembly. I discovered that the vent is only held on by its edges being folded in, awesome! I bent those back and it popped straight out. Now I have to figure out how to get the ring off...there's no bent edges holding these on!! So..it's glue. Damn. I heated it up, and tried to pry it off with a flat-head screw driver. It looks like the ring is actually made of metal, so I'm going to have to try to isolate it with tape to paint, I don't want to bend it with the screw driver. UGH! Well, these are some pics BEFORE I paint. I am about to take the right speaker solders off it's driver so I can have the can separated from the rest of the headphone. This is quite a pain, but it's fun making something completely different from what other people have (even if the Manufaktur service exists).
Oh yuck, glue..
These are the little edges that were bent in holding the fencing on.
These actually look kind of sweet without the fencing! Ahhh, but then they wouldn't look like DT880's.
This is where I was trying to pry up the ring. The silver part you see, is the inside of the ring. (I used a bigger screw driver)
This is just showing how the DT880 badge is held on, if anyone was ever wondering.
Edited by cCasper TFG - 11/28/13 at 4:05am