- 37 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- K550 Question! Last post on 7/1/14 at 10:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- JDS O2 + ODAC with my AKG K550 Last post on 6/25/14 at 3:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Closed headphones for <$200 Last post on 6/26/14 at 12:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K501 vs. AKG K550 Last post on 6/27/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Experience to be shared with 104 full-size, portable headphones and in-ears I have been using.... Last post on 6/18/14 at 5:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Before I begin, I’d like to thank shotgunshane for the opportunity to review these new headphones. My first experience with Brainwavz was when I picked up their M4 a couple of years ago. I was...
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I own a K550 (since october 2012)
I use it with a sansa clip+ (easy to drive !), or through HRT Streamer II+ dac with Schiit Asgard amp or Yulong U100 amp
i think both dac and amp are equally important
the combination i finally prefer (after several months) is Streamer II+ with the Yulong U100 amp (while i prefer the Asgard amp for my beyer DT880 32 ohms)
with the Yulong built-in dac, the sound is a bit more congested, it lacks of clarity & separation (comparatively to the HRT streamer)
so yes, with good dac + amp pairing, you'll get at least a little more of everything: more bass, more soundstage, more clarity, more separation between the instruments - and you feel more power than with a mp3 player (is it your current source ?)
hope it'll help
The FiiO E11 will give you more bass, that's what I use when I had my K550.
And yes, it does make a difference, it won't give you basshead level bass but it'll be more than what you currently have.
Edited by RoMee - 3/21/13 at 6:24am
Do you have a good seal? These have a light clamp, so they don't seal very well for some people. You can bend the headband in to improve the seal if that's a problem, which will increase the bass.
i have a big head so i think the seal is pretty good maybe ill bend them a very little
im going to be using a iphone5 or a i pod as my source .i dont want to spend more than a 100 for a amp .someone was saying to get a FiiO e7 or a e11. i just want something simple to use to ad some bass. i love the SQ but i just wish it had a lil more thump .
thank head FI-ers
Also make sure the earpads are angled properly to give you the best seal. The adjustment for the angle is stiff and doesn't move on its own, so you have to move it yourself to get it to hug closer to your head.
I was using the clip zip with either fiio E6 or ibasso P2. The clip does not output a lot of volume. Definitely a lot less than a discman. The EQ helps a lot. I got mine from crutchfield refurbed. Using this $25 off $250 coupon that popped up when I was browsing their site, I basically got the audioquest evergreen 3.5 to 3.5 cable free. That one does make a difference when compared to a regular $6 RCA mini cable. Everything was richer and the volume was more prominent. I had no idea what to expect so I don't think I'm suffering from sight bias. I changed the AQ cable out for the RCA and a $2 mini cable and I could always notice the difference. The E6 is adequate, but doesn't sound as refined or get as loud as the Ibasso. I'm sure Ibasso has made more and perhaps better amps since 2007-2008 when I got the P2. I plan to order an O2 soon, from jds labs. P2 also has bass boost settings that work a little better than those on the E6. The source recordings matter a lot too. There isn't much a K550 can do with a bass anemic album like the 1st press Spider's Lullabye from King Diamond. Even boosting the bass doesn't give the album a rich sound. 550 seems to shine the most with stuff like film scores or music that has a lot of space like the original Abba Visitors cd.
I use it with E17. The differences is exactly as 'breizh' had said.
Although the spec mentoned 32 ohm impedence, it actually requires roughly 25% more power to achieve a similar sound level as a 40 ohm headphone (ATH-WS55)
It will give you acceptable listening with a mp3 player only. To exploit the true potential, an amp is a must.
- akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Can I use an aftermarket cable with the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro? 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Book recommendation? 5 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Can badly ripped mp3's ruin your headphones? 7 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 8 minutes ago
- › Best IEM for Trance -2014 edition -Now keeping track in the OP! 10 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)