- 37 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Stack + New sound card? Last post on 11/14/14 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- NuForce HP-800? Last post on 11/11/14 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- About to order Shure SRH1540, want to double-check my line of thinking? Last post on 11/11/14 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Beats Solo HD. Noob needs help. Last post on 11/13/14 at 12:40pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Choosing the right headphones for £150 budget Last post on 10/30/14 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
Specs; Deep bass sound reproduction with 50mm Neodymium driver unit and ring port structure- cans need 50-100 hours burn-in Ring port structure provides high-quality dynamic sound- it is...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
AKG K3003 is an important milestone in the development of IEM. It’s THE FIRST universal fit IEM that successfully combines dynamic driver and balance armature technology together. After owning them...
Had this little player for sometime now recently purchased the X1 and comparing them both im still sold on the DX50 although I still like my X1 but I still find the sound seperation on the DX50...
akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I own a K550 (since october 2012)
I use it with a sansa clip+ (easy to drive !), or through HRT Streamer II+ dac with Schiit Asgard amp or Yulong U100 amp
i think both dac and amp are equally important
the combination i finally prefer (after several months) is Streamer II+ with the Yulong U100 amp (while i prefer the Asgard amp for my beyer DT880 32 ohms)
with the Yulong built-in dac, the sound is a bit more congested, it lacks of clarity & separation (comparatively to the HRT streamer)
so yes, with good dac + amp pairing, you'll get at least a little more of everything: more bass, more soundstage, more clarity, more separation between the instruments - and you feel more power than with a mp3 player (is it your current source ?)
hope it'll help
The FiiO E11 will give you more bass, that's what I use when I had my K550.
And yes, it does make a difference, it won't give you basshead level bass but it'll be more than what you currently have.
Edited by RoMee - 3/21/13 at 6:24am
Do you have a good seal? These have a light clamp, so they don't seal very well for some people. You can bend the headband in to improve the seal if that's a problem, which will increase the bass.
i have a big head so i think the seal is pretty good maybe ill bend them a very little
im going to be using a iphone5 or a i pod as my source .i dont want to spend more than a 100 for a amp .someone was saying to get a FiiO e7 or a e11. i just want something simple to use to ad some bass. i love the SQ but i just wish it had a lil more thump .
thank head FI-ers
Also make sure the earpads are angled properly to give you the best seal. The adjustment for the angle is stiff and doesn't move on its own, so you have to move it yourself to get it to hug closer to your head.
I was using the clip zip with either fiio E6 or ibasso P2. The clip does not output a lot of volume. Definitely a lot less than a discman. The EQ helps a lot. I got mine from crutchfield refurbed. Using this $25 off $250 coupon that popped up when I was browsing their site, I basically got the audioquest evergreen 3.5 to 3.5 cable free. That one does make a difference when compared to a regular $6 RCA mini cable. Everything was richer and the volume was more prominent. I had no idea what to expect so I don't think I'm suffering from sight bias. I changed the AQ cable out for the RCA and a $2 mini cable and I could always notice the difference. The E6 is adequate, but doesn't sound as refined or get as loud as the Ibasso. I'm sure Ibasso has made more and perhaps better amps since 2007-2008 when I got the P2. I plan to order an O2 soon, from jds labs. P2 also has bass boost settings that work a little better than those on the E6. The source recordings matter a lot too. There isn't much a K550 can do with a bass anemic album like the 1st press Spider's Lullabye from King Diamond. Even boosting the bass doesn't give the album a rich sound. 550 seems to shine the most with stuff like film scores or music that has a lot of space like the original Abba Visitors cd.
I use it with E17. The differences is exactly as 'breizh' had said.
Although the spec mentoned 32 ohm impedence, it actually requires roughly 25% more power to achieve a similar sound level as a 40 ohm headphone (ATH-WS55)
It will give you acceptable listening with a mp3 player only. To exploit the true potential, an amp is a must.
- akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 1 second ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 38 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 44 seconds ago
- › Need IEM and Portable Headphone Amp Help 1 minute ago
- › Sound Science Approach to Modding Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 4 minutes ago
- › Need help buying headphones <$175 4 minutes ago
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)