- 37 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550-Z on sale for $129.95 (Factory Reconditioned) Last post on Yesterday at 3:02 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need cable reccomendation for AKG K550 Last post on Today at 12:28 pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:16pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ITunes v dBpoweramp ALAC sound quality Last post on 2/26/14 at 2:01am in Computer Audio
- Best headphones in my budget? Last post on 2/19/14 at 5:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Considering the poor review level here I felt I had to post a review: I spent some time checking reviews of these AKG K451 headphones, and found conflicting comments. What I can do is confirm...
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
akg k550 helppost #1 of 123/21/13 at 4:49amThread Starteri just bought a pair of akg k550 i love them they have really good SQ just wish they had a lil more bass. is there a way i could get more bass out of them . would a amp make a big difference ? what amp should i run ? i dont need nothing super expensive . thanks head fi
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 123/21/13 at 5:36ampost #3 of 123/21/13 at 5:53am
I own a K550 (since october 2012)
I use it with a sansa clip+ (easy to drive !), or through HRT Streamer II+ dac with Schiit Asgard amp or Yulong U100 amp
i think both dac and amp are equally important
the combination i finally prefer (after several months) is Streamer II+ with the Yulong U100 amp (while i prefer the Asgard amp for my beyer DT880 32 ohms)
with the Yulong built-in dac, the sound is a bit more congested, it lacks of clarity & separation (comparatively to the HRT streamer)
so yes, with good dac + amp pairing, you'll get at least a little more of everything: more bass, more soundstage, more clarity, more separation between the instruments - and you feel more power than with a mp3 player (is it your current source ?)
hope it'll helppost #4 of 123/21/13 at 6:10am
The FiiO E11 will give you more bass, that's what I use when I had my K550.
And yes, it does make a difference, it won't give you basshead level bass but it'll be more than what you currently have.
Edited by RoMee - 3/21/13 at 6:24ampost #5 of 123/21/13 at 10:04am
Do you have a good seal? These have a light clamp, so they don't seal very well for some people. You can bend the headband in to improve the seal if that's a problem, which will increase the bass.post #6 of 123/22/13 at 5:47amThread Starter
i have a big head so i think the seal is pretty good maybe ill bend them a very little
im going to be using a iphone5 or a i pod as my source .i dont want to spend more than a 100 for a amp .someone was saying to get a FiiO e7 or a e11. i just want something simple to use to ad some bass. i love the SQ but i just wish it had a lil more thump .
thank head FI-erspost #7 of 123/22/13 at 5:55am
Also make sure the earpads are angled properly to give you the best seal. The adjustment for the angle is stiff and doesn't move on its own, so you have to move it yourself to get it to hug closer to your head.post #8 of 123/22/13 at 9:28am
I was using the clip zip with either fiio E6 or ibasso P2. The clip does not output a lot of volume. Definitely a lot less than a discman. The EQ helps a lot. I got mine from crutchfield refurbed. Using this $25 off $250 coupon that popped up when I was browsing their site, I basically got the audioquest evergreen 3.5 to 3.5 cable free. That one does make a difference when compared to a regular $6 RCA mini cable. Everything was richer and the volume was more prominent. I had no idea what to expect so I don't think I'm suffering from sight bias. I changed the AQ cable out for the RCA and a $2 mini cable and I could always notice the difference. The E6 is adequate, but doesn't sound as refined or get as loud as the Ibasso. I'm sure Ibasso has made more and perhaps better amps since 2007-2008 when I got the P2. I plan to order an O2 soon, from jds labs. P2 also has bass boost settings that work a little better than those on the E6. The source recordings matter a lot too. There isn't much a K550 can do with a bass anemic album like the 1st press Spider's Lullabye from King Diamond. Even boosting the bass doesn't give the album a rich sound. 550 seems to shine the most with stuff like film scores or music that has a lot of space like the original Abba Visitors cd.post #9 of 123/22/13 at 10:06pmThread Starterpost #10 of 123/22/13 at 11:12pmpost #11 of 123/23/13 at 12:04amThread Starterpost #12 of 123/27/13 at 1:27pm
I use it with E17. The differences is exactly as 'breizh' had said.
Although the spec mentoned 32 ohm impedence, it actually requires roughly 25% more power to achieve a similar sound level as a 40 ohm headphone (ATH-WS55)
It will give you acceptable listening with a mp3 player only. To exploit the true potential, an amp is a must.
- akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Lets Talk Metal 26 seconds ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 1 minute ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Gd NFB-6 balanced pre-amp/headphone amp 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for good headphones for listening to Rap/hip-hop 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 3 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-A846 3 minutes ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 4 minutes ago
- › Ranking of 21 DACs and DAC Configurations (and why chocolate ice... 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by subwoofer
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude