- 40 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on Today at 5:43 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- DAC for AKG550 Last post on 1/25/15 at 10:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on tracing the hiss, please! Last post on 1/26/15 at 2:47pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need help deciding on a good set of closed-back phones below $300 Last post on 1/23/15 at 5:35pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- need help selecting new cans Last post on 12/27/14 at 5:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
This is a very impressive can for less than 1000.00! If this was a 1300-1500.00 can, I wouldn't say it was overpriced. Especially given what some of the audeze and hd800 cost. Now I wouldn't say...
akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I own a K550 (since october 2012)
I use it with a sansa clip+ (easy to drive !), or through HRT Streamer II+ dac with Schiit Asgard amp or Yulong U100 amp
i think both dac and amp are equally important
the combination i finally prefer (after several months) is Streamer II+ with the Yulong U100 amp (while i prefer the Asgard amp for my beyer DT880 32 ohms)
with the Yulong built-in dac, the sound is a bit more congested, it lacks of clarity & separation (comparatively to the HRT streamer)
so yes, with good dac + amp pairing, you'll get at least a little more of everything: more bass, more soundstage, more clarity, more separation between the instruments - and you feel more power than with a mp3 player (is it your current source ?)
hope it'll help
The FiiO E11 will give you more bass, that's what I use when I had my K550.
And yes, it does make a difference, it won't give you basshead level bass but it'll be more than what you currently have.
Edited by RoMee - 3/21/13 at 6:24am
Do you have a good seal? These have a light clamp, so they don't seal very well for some people. You can bend the headband in to improve the seal if that's a problem, which will increase the bass.
i have a big head so i think the seal is pretty good maybe ill bend them a very little
im going to be using a iphone5 or a i pod as my source .i dont want to spend more than a 100 for a amp .someone was saying to get a FiiO e7 or a e11. i just want something simple to use to ad some bass. i love the SQ but i just wish it had a lil more thump .
thank head FI-ers
Also make sure the earpads are angled properly to give you the best seal. The adjustment for the angle is stiff and doesn't move on its own, so you have to move it yourself to get it to hug closer to your head.
I was using the clip zip with either fiio E6 or ibasso P2. The clip does not output a lot of volume. Definitely a lot less than a discman. The EQ helps a lot. I got mine from crutchfield refurbed. Using this $25 off $250 coupon that popped up when I was browsing their site, I basically got the audioquest evergreen 3.5 to 3.5 cable free. That one does make a difference when compared to a regular $6 RCA mini cable. Everything was richer and the volume was more prominent. I had no idea what to expect so I don't think I'm suffering from sight bias. I changed the AQ cable out for the RCA and a $2 mini cable and I could always notice the difference. The E6 is adequate, but doesn't sound as refined or get as loud as the Ibasso. I'm sure Ibasso has made more and perhaps better amps since 2007-2008 when I got the P2. I plan to order an O2 soon, from jds labs. P2 also has bass boost settings that work a little better than those on the E6. The source recordings matter a lot too. There isn't much a K550 can do with a bass anemic album like the 1st press Spider's Lullabye from King Diamond. Even boosting the bass doesn't give the album a rich sound. 550 seems to shine the most with stuff like film scores or music that has a lot of space like the original Abba Visitors cd.
I use it with E17. The differences is exactly as 'breizh' had said.
Although the spec mentoned 32 ohm impedence, it actually requires roughly 25% more power to achieve a similar sound level as a 40 ohm headphone (ATH-WS55)
It will give you acceptable listening with a mp3 player only. To exploit the true potential, an amp is a must.
- akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony D-25 Refurbishment with Service Manual! 17 seconds ago
- › Don Scorpio Dolphins 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 4 minutes ago
- › Litz Type and AWG Comparisons 5 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 6 minutes ago
- › Decision between HD600 or X2 or MA900 7 minutes ago
- › Official X3 firmware 3.30--M3U playlists, 5-band EQ. Merry Christmas! 9 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 9 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3