- 37 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- K550 Question! Last post on 7/1/14 at 10:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- JDS O2 + ODAC with my AKG K550 Last post on 6/25/14 at 3:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Closed headphones for <$200 Last post on 6/26/14 at 12:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K501 vs. AKG K550 Last post on 6/27/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Experience to be shared with 104 full-size, portable headphones and in-ears I have been using.... Last post on 6/18/14 at 5:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
This is my first Brainwavz earphones, many thanks to Brainwavz for the review sample! When I wrote this review, I have used it for almost 2 weeks, around 2 hours daily. A happy ending...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I own a K550 (since october 2012)
I use it with a sansa clip+ (easy to drive !), or through HRT Streamer II+ dac with Schiit Asgard amp or Yulong U100 amp
i think both dac and amp are equally important
the combination i finally prefer (after several months) is Streamer II+ with the Yulong U100 amp (while i prefer the Asgard amp for my beyer DT880 32 ohms)
with the Yulong built-in dac, the sound is a bit more congested, it lacks of clarity & separation (comparatively to the HRT streamer)
so yes, with good dac + amp pairing, you'll get at least a little more of everything: more bass, more soundstage, more clarity, more separation between the instruments - and you feel more power than with a mp3 player (is it your current source ?)
hope it'll help
The FiiO E11 will give you more bass, that's what I use when I had my K550.
And yes, it does make a difference, it won't give you basshead level bass but it'll be more than what you currently have.
Edited by RoMee - 3/21/13 at 6:24am
Do you have a good seal? These have a light clamp, so they don't seal very well for some people. You can bend the headband in to improve the seal if that's a problem, which will increase the bass.
i have a big head so i think the seal is pretty good maybe ill bend them a very little
im going to be using a iphone5 or a i pod as my source .i dont want to spend more than a 100 for a amp .someone was saying to get a FiiO e7 or a e11. i just want something simple to use to ad some bass. i love the SQ but i just wish it had a lil more thump .
thank head FI-ers
Also make sure the earpads are angled properly to give you the best seal. The adjustment for the angle is stiff and doesn't move on its own, so you have to move it yourself to get it to hug closer to your head.
I was using the clip zip with either fiio E6 or ibasso P2. The clip does not output a lot of volume. Definitely a lot less than a discman. The EQ helps a lot. I got mine from crutchfield refurbed. Using this $25 off $250 coupon that popped up when I was browsing their site, I basically got the audioquest evergreen 3.5 to 3.5 cable free. That one does make a difference when compared to a regular $6 RCA mini cable. Everything was richer and the volume was more prominent. I had no idea what to expect so I don't think I'm suffering from sight bias. I changed the AQ cable out for the RCA and a $2 mini cable and I could always notice the difference. The E6 is adequate, but doesn't sound as refined or get as loud as the Ibasso. I'm sure Ibasso has made more and perhaps better amps since 2007-2008 when I got the P2. I plan to order an O2 soon, from jds labs. P2 also has bass boost settings that work a little better than those on the E6. The source recordings matter a lot too. There isn't much a K550 can do with a bass anemic album like the 1st press Spider's Lullabye from King Diamond. Even boosting the bass doesn't give the album a rich sound. 550 seems to shine the most with stuff like film scores or music that has a lot of space like the original Abba Visitors cd.
I use it with E17. The differences is exactly as 'breizh' had said.
Although the spec mentoned 32 ohm impedence, it actually requires roughly 25% more power to achieve a similar sound level as a 40 ohm headphone (ATH-WS55)
It will give you acceptable listening with a mp3 player only. To exploit the true potential, an amp is a must.
- akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado e Series 50 seconds ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Grado PS500, like new (warranty) 5 minutes ago
- › Conflicting information on Cables and other audiophile components. 10 minutes ago
- › Soooo... Who remembers this place? 11 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 11 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 12 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)