- 37 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Choosing the right headphones for £150 budget Last post on Yesterday at 12:36 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones that you would recommend based on my tastes Last post on 10/21/14 at 9:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Headphones under $200 Last post on 10/13/14 at 5:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade wanted. ATH M50, AKG 550 and Sennheiser HD 215 owner. £350-400 Last post on 10/5/14 at 5:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed can with good sound stage Last post on 9/16/14 at 7:02am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
I bought these to replace my dead Klipsch Image S2-ii after reading many reviews, because I wanted to try something else in the 60-70$ price range for use with my Sansa Clip Zip, and was very...
A big thanks to Drew and every one at Moon Audio, they handled the sale of this new unit to me and...
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I own a K550 (since october 2012)
I use it with a sansa clip+ (easy to drive !), or through HRT Streamer II+ dac with Schiit Asgard amp or Yulong U100 amp
i think both dac and amp are equally important
the combination i finally prefer (after several months) is Streamer II+ with the Yulong U100 amp (while i prefer the Asgard amp for my beyer DT880 32 ohms)
with the Yulong built-in dac, the sound is a bit more congested, it lacks of clarity & separation (comparatively to the HRT streamer)
so yes, with good dac + amp pairing, you'll get at least a little more of everything: more bass, more soundstage, more clarity, more separation between the instruments - and you feel more power than with a mp3 player (is it your current source ?)
hope it'll help
The FiiO E11 will give you more bass, that's what I use when I had my K550.
And yes, it does make a difference, it won't give you basshead level bass but it'll be more than what you currently have.
Edited by RoMee - 3/21/13 at 6:24am
Do you have a good seal? These have a light clamp, so they don't seal very well for some people. You can bend the headband in to improve the seal if that's a problem, which will increase the bass.
i have a big head so i think the seal is pretty good maybe ill bend them a very little
im going to be using a iphone5 or a i pod as my source .i dont want to spend more than a 100 for a amp .someone was saying to get a FiiO e7 or a e11. i just want something simple to use to ad some bass. i love the SQ but i just wish it had a lil more thump .
thank head FI-ers
Also make sure the earpads are angled properly to give you the best seal. The adjustment for the angle is stiff and doesn't move on its own, so you have to move it yourself to get it to hug closer to your head.
I was using the clip zip with either fiio E6 or ibasso P2. The clip does not output a lot of volume. Definitely a lot less than a discman. The EQ helps a lot. I got mine from crutchfield refurbed. Using this $25 off $250 coupon that popped up when I was browsing their site, I basically got the audioquest evergreen 3.5 to 3.5 cable free. That one does make a difference when compared to a regular $6 RCA mini cable. Everything was richer and the volume was more prominent. I had no idea what to expect so I don't think I'm suffering from sight bias. I changed the AQ cable out for the RCA and a $2 mini cable and I could always notice the difference. The E6 is adequate, but doesn't sound as refined or get as loud as the Ibasso. I'm sure Ibasso has made more and perhaps better amps since 2007-2008 when I got the P2. I plan to order an O2 soon, from jds labs. P2 also has bass boost settings that work a little better than those on the E6. The source recordings matter a lot too. There isn't much a K550 can do with a bass anemic album like the 1st press Spider's Lullabye from King Diamond. Even boosting the bass doesn't give the album a rich sound. 550 seems to shine the most with stuff like film scores or music that has a lot of space like the original Abba Visitors cd.
I use it with E17. The differences is exactly as 'breizh' had said.
Although the spec mentoned 32 ohm impedence, it actually requires roughly 25% more power to achieve a similar sound level as a 40 ohm headphone (ATH-WS55)
It will give you acceptable listening with a mp3 player only. To exploit the true potential, an amp is a must.
- akg k550 help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Headphones recommendation for $220 or less 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Replace AK120 with AK240 or go AK120 + Chord hugo 2 minutes ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 6 minutes ago
- › The new Eddie Current 2A3x4 7 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › New ultrasone edition 10s 10 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 10 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by Mshenay
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)