Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Bioshock Infinite, which version to get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bioshock Infinite, which version to get?

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 

With Bioshock Infinite about to be released soon (Tuesday, March 26th), I am considering picking up a copy for myself.

 

In all honesty, I am not much of a gamer, but I buy the odd game here and there.  When Diablo 3 came out, I bought it just for nostalgia's sake and enjoyed it a little in the begging, but quickly got bored of it.

 

Bioshock catches my attention because it captivates my imagination and with its unique premise and beautiful worlds.  As far as I know, there is the regular edition ($60), premium edition ($80), and ultimate edition ($150).  I have a chance to get 25% off any of the three editions because of a mix-up with my previous order.  Is the ultimate edition worth it for approximately $112?  

 

Any of you guys preordered yet? 

post #2 of 40

I admit, I'm half-tempted to pre-order, just because of all the crazy deals that are being crammed down my e-mail inbox. In particular, $14 cash back, Bioshock and the X-COM remake for free, and on top of that, another game of your choice (Bioshock 2, Civilization V, Spec Ops: The Line, or The Darkness II) included as well, all for the usual $60 up front.

 

Or I could just forego all of that for a bunch of physical goodies...looks like the Ultimate edition just includes a huge figurine over the Premium edition, so I'd personally go Premium if you want the extras. Last time I pre-ordered a Bioshock collector's edition, I wound up with a broken Big Daddy figurine on delivery...(and an art book for my trouble, AND a replacement that arrived intact! Didn't even have to send the old figurine back in the end.)

post #3 of 40

I'm on the fence whether to buy this or not as I didn't really get one with the second game, found it too much like the first one which I was bored of by the time I finished it, if it was me I would get the standard or the premium edition, it all depends on what it comes with. :)

post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum26 View Post

I'm on the fence whether to buy this or not as I didn't really get one with the second game, found it too much like the first one which I was bored of by the time I finished it, if it was me I would get the standard or the premium edition, it all depends on what it comes with. :)

I didn't think it was that great either. It was fun at first but by the end of it I was glad to be done with it.

 

But remember that it was made by a different development team than BIoshock 1 and Infinite. You can expect more originality with Infinite.

post #5 of 40
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I splurged and bought the ultimate edition. The game looks promising and the reviews are great. I hope that figurine is worth the extra money!
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

I didn't think it was that great either. It was fun at first but by the end of it I was glad to be done with it.

 

But remember that it was made by a different development team than BIoshock 1 and Infinite. You can expect more originality with Infinite.

That would be why it wasn't as good I forgot about that. I'll check out some reviews see what it's like. I've a few friends that have it as well so I can ask them before I put up that kind of money on another game, considering I've already bought Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, SimCity and a new pair of £200 headphones this month.... redface.gif

post #7 of 40

I pulled the trigger last night...no physical goodies for me, but that GMG deal was too good to resist.

 

$14 cash back (so $46 total), Bioshock Infinite itself, a code for that Industrial Revolution tie-in puzzle game, X-COM: Enemy Unknown, AND Steam codes for the first two Bioshock games. (Never mind that I've had Bioshock since release and grabbed Bioshock 2 elsewhere for $5 earlier. I suppose I can sell off or give away the extra copies...)

 

Incidentally, this is one gorgeous game...and yet I have to run it at 1280x800 low settings to keep framerates up at desired levels. Still looks about console quality, but it's getting about time to build a whole new gaming desktop to do this game justice.

post #8 of 40

What's your current graphics card and processor?

 

Hopefully I'll be able to run it smoothly with max settings at 60fps with a gtx670.

post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

What's your current graphics card and processor?

 

Hopefully I'll be able to run it smoothly with max settings at 60fps with a gtx670.

My GTX470 had no problems maxing out the game in the demo so your card will be fine. :)

post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum26 View Post

My GTX470 had no problems maxing out the game in the demo so your card will be fine. :)

Awesome, it should run great then.

post #11 of 40

Played the game for a few hours so far, sounds great and looks amazing. Definitely don't regret my purchase.

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

What's your current graphics card and processor?

Hopefully I'll be able to run it smoothly with max settings at 60fps with a gtx670.
Q6600 and 8800 GT. Five-year-old hardware, basically.

I'm not upgrading 'til Haswell (Intel next-gen) and Maxwell (NVIDIA next-gen) hit the market. I want to be absolutely sure even today's most demanding games run at 60 FPS maxed out.
post #13 of 40

Well it doesn't run as good as I expected on a GTX670. Stupid AMD optimized game...

 

For the most part it's 60 but it can drop as low as 30 at certain points where the lighting is intense(which is weird because it drops to exactly 30 and never below). Looks quite nice though.

post #14 of 40

Well, that's not reassuring.

 

I was looking at picking up a GTX 670 for a while, until it set in that even that wouldn't solve my PlanetSide 2 FPS woes due to being CPU-bottlenecked during the most intense fights.

 

I figured that a game like Bioshock Infinite might be more GPU-bound than anything, but if a GTX 670 isn't enough, then it'll probably take the next generation of cards to do it justice...and I'd prefer to stay with NVIDIA since their drivers tend to suck less.

post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post


Q6600 and 8800 GT. Five-year-old hardware, basically.

I'm not upgrading 'til Haswell (Intel next-gen) and Maxwell (NVIDIA next-gen) hit the market. I want to be absolutely sure even today's most demanding games run at 60 FPS maxed out.

I'm also waiting for Haswell and Maxwell.Hopefully these will come out before BF4 does biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Bioshock Infinite, which version to get?