Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Playstation 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Playstation 4 - Page 2

post #16 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatboyMac View Post

If E3 is good, I might pick one up at launch. I've decided I'm not going to upgrade my PC until 4K becomes affordable, so it may end up being my main gaming device for a year or two.

 

Why 4k?

Everyone will be using the Oculus Rift thingie soon!! lol ;-)

post #17 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

Why 4k?

Everyone will be using the Oculus Rift thingie soon!! lol ;-)

The Rift is definitely killing my interest in 120hz, but nothing compares to a good old-fashioned high pixel density.

post #18 of 106

The only reason we play console games now is because of all the exclusive games, as people have mentioned Steam has made PC gaming on par with the consoles.

But I for one will always buy PS4 over XBOX720, not for other reason but to show support on SONY's policy to make independent developers friendly. Taking examples such as Heavy Rain, Journey, Little Big Planet and many more. All of these smashing new IP wouldn't be made possible without SONY's support to the new developers.  

 

On the countrary, XBOX's company policy is just like running business: invest in the most popular titles. That's why we see GTA4 exclusive contents, endless Call of Duty titles. 

I'm so so sick of FPS titles just coming after another, I want something different and innovative. If we keep buying FPS titles we essentially kill future gamings and all the possibilities. 

 

In the evolution theory, if one species dominates, it will invariably shrink the living space for other species until only one survive. In this instance, FPS games. Therefore we should all buy more PS4 to preserve endangered gaming species!

post #19 of 106

Sorry but the FPS genre is already dead and has been dead for a long time. These days games are all about open-world interactive gameplay, third person and all. 

post #20 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Sorry but the FPS genre is already dead and has been dead for a long time. These days games are all about open-world interactive gameplay, third person and all. 

lolwut

post #21 of 106

I come from a PC gaming background and unfortunately, these days games being too "cod like" or developers pumping out multiple iterations to sustain a neck above water to prevent the company from going down. 

 

Put it this way

 

EA's Battlefield franchise lost its touch with bc2, bf3 was fun but is linear and boring unless you constantly like driving vehicles around and such. The same can be said for all COD's. The last good cod was mw1, waw being the last enjoyable WW theme based game.

 

A lot die hard fans and loyal supporters thought Carmack would turn gaming around with Rage, only to be of massive disappointment, what's even worse Bethesda has given them the warning to either release something (Doom 4 being scraped and restarted in 2011) or the small Texas based game developer will be scraped (doubtful).

 

The last good FPS based game I played was Stalker, until the owner of the company sold the business, sending the employees jobless and Stalker 2 half arsed, that is until some massive company buys them again, but Stalker and it's IP is patented and copyrighted under the previous owner who sold the business but not the game title.

 

PC gaming is pretty much dead, all console ports and with large asset damage factors such as piracy are to blame with developers pushing out more effort and time into consoles and mobile gaming. Of course you get the occasional console exclusive titles so it doesn't affect the PC platform. 

 

The only games that have higher hopes of achieving lots of attention and raising the "bar" again is GTA V (greatly anticipating), SR4 (good too) and possibly other ones I have no clue about. 

 

I truly do miss the old fps gaming days of 95-2007. 


Edited by DefQon - 5/16/13 at 5:27am
post #22 of 106

Ah, so it's dead to you. I thought you were talking about its popularity in general, it's thriving in that aspect.

 

I still think there are plenty of good one's that have been coming out. Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite most recently, and I've heard Dishonored is great too but I haven't started it yet. I'd agree that the rushing out of multiple iterations is bad, but that's just something that happens in a couple of titles that I don't pay attention to, not a common thing.

 

Odd that you use SR4 as an example of something raising the bar though, that game is constantly being criticized as being a $60 DLC. It's not getting a very positive reception.

 

And remember, people have always been saying that PC gaming is on its way out. Always.

post #23 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

The console is a good small all in one platform that can easily be moved anywhere and do just about anything. You can't buy or build a PC to the form factor of a console and still retain the graphics and processing power to play full HD games. 

Ummh...Core i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX Titan..Falcon Northwest Tiki.

 

Or if a more pedestrian Alienware X51 is up your alley (only an i7 3770 and GTX 660)...

post #24 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

Ah, so it's dead to you. I thought you were talking about its popularity in general, it's thriving in that aspect.

 

I still think there are plenty of good one's that have been coming out. Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite most recently, and I've heard Dishonored is great too but I haven't started it yet. I'd agree that the rushing out of multiple iterations is bad, but that's just something that happens in a couple of titles that I don't pay attention to, not a common thing.

 

Odd that you use SR4 as an example of something raising the bar though, that game is constantly being criticized as being a $60 DLC. It's not getting a very positive reception.

 

And remember, people have always been saying that PC gaming is on its way out. Always.

Nah, only dead to me and I'm just voicing some of the frustration and annoyance other pc gamers share.

 

Yeah FC3 was pretty good but it was too short and ending was weird. Bioshock Infinite was just ok, I felt that the Bioshock games lost its touch after Bioshock 1, back in 2007 it was amazing. These days all games are trying to achieve the same thing so it becomes sort of boring. If there is one game I'm going to give credit for would Borderlands 2, I enjoyed it a lot. Skyrim would've been better on PC but it is gimped down with small annoyances such as bugs and glitches.

 

The reason why I mentioned SR was because, originally the company was going to go head to head against the GTA franchise, it didn't turn out so well so they decided to just make it whacky and extremely fun with SR3, it received positive credit from reviewers. SR4 would raise the bar again with this aspect again. Think of Postal but more fun and without all the adult content. 

 

Yeah those people obviously don't know what they are talking about. 2007-8 was officially the last year of good pc games, Crysis, Cod, Dead space, Bioshock etc. Things went downhill after these years with an occasional few games that turn out to be quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthesauce View Post

Ummh...Core i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX Titan..Falcon Northwest Tiki.

 

Or if a more pedestrian Alienware X51 is up your alley (only an i7 3770 and GTX 660)...

 

Those computers will cost twice as much as the PS4, not to mention how ugly they are and I would have to think twice before going with an Alienware.

post #25 of 106

I'm rather excited for the PS4. Not only for it's internals and future game catalog but also Sony's attitude to date. It seems they've taken the mistakes of the PS3 (Though I do love that as well) and that generation to heart and are really working to improve.

post #26 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayextreme View Post

The only reason we play console games now is because of all the exclusive games, as people have mentioned Steam has made PC gaming on par with the consoles.

But I for one will always buy PS4 over XBOX720, not for other reason but to show support on SONY's policy to make independent developers friendly. Taking examples such as Heavy Rain, Journey, Little Big Planet and many more. All of these smashing new IP wouldn't be made possible without SONY's support to the new developers.  

 

On the countrary, XBOX's company policy is just like running business: invest in the most popular titles. That's why we see GTA4 exclusive contents, endless Call of Duty titles. 

I'm so so sick of FPS titles just coming after another, I want something different and innovative. If we keep buying FPS titles we essentially kill future gamings and all the possibilities. 

 

In the evolution theory, if one species dominates, it will invariably shrink the living space for other species until only one survive. In this instance, FPS games. Therefore we should all buy more PS4 to preserve endangered gaming species!

You mean like the hundreds of independant titles that go through the xbox live store all the time? I own neither the xbox nor ps3 (pc gamer here) but I go over to my buddys house all the time and browse the marketplace. There are tons of indie titles to choose from on both platforms so I'm not really sure where you're coming from here.

post #27 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Nah, only dead to me and I'm just voicing some of the frustration and annoyance other pc gamers share.

 

Yeah FC3 was pretty good but it was too short and ending was weird. Bioshock Infinite was just ok, I felt that the Bioshock games lost its touch after Bioshock 1, back in 2007 it was amazing. These days all games are trying to achieve the same thing so it becomes sort of boring. If there is one game I'm going to give credit for would Borderlands 2, I enjoyed it a lot. Skyrim would've been better on PC but it is gimped down with small annoyances such as bugs and glitches.

 

The reason why I mentioned SR was because, originally the company was going to go head to head against the GTA franchise, it didn't turn out so well so they decided to just make it whacky and extremely fun with SR3, it received positive credit from reviewers. SR4 would raise the bar again with this aspect again. Think of Postal but more fun and without all the adult content. 

 

Yeah those people obviously don't know what they are talking about. 2007-8 was officially the last year of good pc games, Crysis, Cod, Dead space, Bioshock etc. Things went downhill after these years with an occasional few games that turn out to be quite good.

 

Those computers will cost twice as much as the PS4, not to mention how ugly they are and I would have to think twice before going with an Alienware.

I actually didn't know falcon nw was still in business, thought they went under when HP bought voodoo. Anyways yes I'd build a computer before thinking twice about buying an off-the-shelf solution.

 

To the point of course the computers cost twice as much. They offer many times over the functionality a console brings to the table. This is a mindset I'll never understand. You could buy a next gen console for 400 at the cheapest, but you still need a computer. I suppose you could go to a library, but I would doubt the claims of someone who says the go the the library or use a smartphone soley. So now you need a laptop. Let's say you get a very bottom of the line ultrabook so ~600. That's 1k for 2 systems where you could just pay 1k for a gaming computer that does all of that...

post #28 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti tunes View Post

I actually didn't know falcon nw was still in business, thought they went under when HP bought voodoo. Anyways yes I'd build a computer before thinking twice about buying an off-the-shelf solution.

 

To the point of course the computers cost twice as much. They offer many times over the functionality a console brings to the table. This is a mindset I'll never understand. You could buy a next gen console for 400 at the cheapest, but you still need a computer. I suppose you could go to a library, but I would doubt the claims of someone who says the go the the library or use a smartphone soley. So now you need a laptop. Let's say you get a very bottom of the line ultrabook so ~600. That's 1k for 2 systems where you could just pay 1k for a gaming computer that does all of that...

 

For me its about the feeling a console gives you. You just turn it on and go.

Now it works like that with a PC as well, but well.. I cant quite explain it. I have been a gamer for over a decade now and I simply cant get that soothing feeling out of a computer, which the PS3 gives me. + the exclusive games Sony has are just marvelous. I wish I could make I did not like in the last few years but I cant. I liked all of the ones I played :)

I guess a console player can never understand a HC PC gamer and vice versa...

Lets just say both has its charm and leave it at that :)

(You can get a 600 dollar PC and be good with it. You would get as much portability as you would with a gaming one. Consoles on the other hand... well, I took my PS3 to many voyages :D)

 

OT - Looking forward to Sonys E3 (and the next XBOX uncovering as well :))

post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

For me its about the feeling a console gives you. You just turn it on and go.

Now it works like that with a PC as well, but well.. I cant quite explain it. I have been a gamer for over a decade now and I simply cant get that soothing feeling out of a computer, which the PS3 gives me. + the exclusive games Sony has are just marvelous. I wish I could make I did not like in the last few years but I cant. I liked all of the ones I played :)

I guess a console player can never understand a HC PC gamer and vice versa...

Lets just say both has its charm and leave it at that :)

(You can get a 600 dollar PC and be good with it. You would get as much portability as you would with a gaming one. Consoles on the other hand... well, I took my PS3 to many voyages :D)

 

OT - Looking forward to Sonys E3 (and the next XBOX uncovering as well :))

I'm a die hard computer user (thus being able to come back with those two systems) but I will admit that simply dropping a disc into my 360, telling it to install to the hdd and then waiting for the inevitable updates (with the rare updates after that) sure makes it better to be able to simply blow off steam.  Perhaps it is the process of getting older, more responsibilities or whatever, but futzing around with everything that it takes to game on Windows just ain't for me any more.

 

And I'll probably switch over to Sony this generation; the advertising on the Xbox is getting ridiculous plus the yearly fees keep going up....can afford them but still it's the principle of the matter.

post #30 of 106

If you are interested in games it´s not hard to understand either PC or PS3 or something else :)

 

What I hate about consoles is the constant update sequence. What is the difference in installing a console game nowadays to a PC game? Heck the console games are if anything patched more often...

The difference I could see is that it´s easier to discard a console and buy a new one instead of a PC due to the bigger investment. A PC you can fix quite easilly whereas a console you can´t find the replacement parts and so feel quite well about just binning it ;)

 

I play most on PC because it´s the superior experience. performance, and controls primarily. the genres I play is seldom that good with a gamepad. That said those games can be played with gamepad on PC as well...

The reason I have consoles is for the games I can´t play on PC but in a perfect world all games would be released on the ultimate gaming platform. And that is PC.

 

For the casual gamer though PC is overkill.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Playstation 4