Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Need an advice for new Headphones. Limited 1500$ budget
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need an advice for new Headphones. Limited 1500$ budget - Page 4

post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

the T1 would be nice too, slightly less soundstage and a bit more bass than hd 800, slightly warmer too. 

the T5p wouldn't be a good option, not as refined, a little bass shy for most people. im sure the LCD-3 would be too colored and dark for classical. not neutral.

Sorry, could not disagree more!
I had the LCD2's before getting the T5P's and find the T5P's far more refined than the LCD's Also I have a similar taste in music to the OP and have to say that these through a tube amp produce some of the best vocal reproduction I have heard so far, especially early choral music.

Also I feel they are not bass shy, well, proper defined bass. Cello sounds beautiful through the T5P's. Overall for classical music I feel they make an excellent choice and being closed back one has more silence so as to enjoy quiet choral passages I find.
post #47 of 56
RE: BHA-1 + HD800 - second best pairing I've found yet. Only the GS-X is better. There are still many amps left untried, mostly tubed amps and specifically DNA/EC amps that are supposed to be magical with the 800s. Right now I'm firmly in solid state land, but am not locked into it.

RE: T5P and LCD-2 - Vastly different headphones, IMO. LCD-2 is narrowly staged with medium depth and decent image precision whereas the T5P to me was very largely and deeply staged, near HD800 levels but lacked in pinpoint precision and there was a good bit of resonance. I liked the T5P, but I wouldn't own one as I can't make myself accept the possibility of living with two expensive headphones at the same time.
post #48 of 56
I loved my LCD's until I got my Piano Fortes. The PF's spoil me for a sense of grace and refinement that the LCD's cannot come close to.
I then went looking for a full sized headphone that would not match the PF's but compliment them in the way they portray inner details and give a feeling of effortlessness in delivering music which I found with the T5P's. I looked at the 800's as I have grown to respect them greatly after hearing them with the right amp and well burned in but I really wanted something closed back for the days when I needed more silence from outside noise ( I live on a busy street and even with dual pane windows closed when it is rush hour the noise still comes through)

The PF's by their design actually amplify external noise so having closed backs, especially as I love choral and orchestral music with many quiet passages is essential.

That is the only way I can justify owning two pairs of high end phones!
post #49 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

RE: BHA-1 + HD800 - second best pairing I've found yet. Only the GS-X is better. There are still many amps left untried, mostly tubed amps and specifically DNA/EC amps that are supposed to be magical with the 800s. Right now I'm firmly in solid state land, but am not locked into it.

 

Have you tried the 800 with Beta22? 

The GS-X is not even that expansive. It is affordable in 700$, while the BHA-1 is twice as much... God, I'm stupid, I looked up in Justin's site and didn't notice it was only a 1/4 deposit....


Edited by pila405 - 4/3/13 at 4:02am
post #50 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post


Sorry, could not disagree more!
I had the LCD2's before getting the T5P's and find the T5P's far more refined than the LCD's Also I have a similar taste in music to the OP and have to say that these through a tube amp produce some of the best vocal reproduction I have heard so far, especially early choral music.

Also I feel they are not bass shy, well, proper defined bass. Cello sounds beautiful through the T5P's. Overall for classical music I feel they make an excellent choice and being closed back one has more silence so as to enjoy quiet choral passages I find.

Were you able to compare these with STAX SR-407 or HD800?

 

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to audition the T5p, and I don't like the idea of buying a cat in the sack. And besides, the HD800 and SR-407 made such a good impression I am not certain I am really looking for something different.

post #51 of 56
The 800's yes but not the Stax(though I own Stax headphones so am familiar with their sound) if I were going for open it would have been a tougher choice between the 800's and the T5P's as I feel they are more alike than different. In the end though the closed back was too important for my needs.
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pila405 View Post

Have you tried the 800 with Beta22? 
The GS-X is not even that expansive. It is affordable in 700$, while the BHA-1 is twice as much... God, I'm stupid, I looked up in Justin's site and didn't notice it was only a 1/4 deposit....
Yes, the B22 is not a good match for the HD800. Takes everything good about the HD800 and dulls it.
post #53 of 56
Thread Starter 

On one hand I've heard the 800 with B22, and was pretty impressed, but on the other hand I didn't listen with any tube amps, or any other good amps.

 

But I don't think I would like the warmer and smoother sound of tubes...

post #54 of 56
Not all tube amps are warm, mine certainly isn't .
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Not all tube amps are warm, mine certainly isn't .

 

That is absolutely, positively a true statement.  I have solid state amps that are softer, less dynamic, less direct than my tube amps.  

post #56 of 56
Thread Starter 

Thank you, but I already got HD 800, which arrived just today. (:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Need an advice for new Headphones. Limited 1500$ budget