Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600 - Page 5

post #61 of 238
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

nice review! 

 

i feel the HE-500's do have a bit of a cavernous sound to them that can make some recordings sound a bit weird and unnatural at times, but the HE-500 are still better than the 600/650 for just about everything. though the hd 650s/600s scale very nicely and are a steal at their low price.

 

you're right about the HE-500 and electronic music,  best headphones i've heard besides the pro 900 and LCD-2 for it. theres just so much air in the music, and the bass,  its perfect for trance, house, dubstep, drum and bass, electro, techno, and just about everything else. vocals are especially nice.

 

 

Thanks!

 

I disagree with you (obviously smile.gif), but I suppose it depends on what you want from your listening experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

I've mentioned this several times--it's the reason I sold them. To me they tended to make everything sound like it was recorded in a cave; there's definitely a resonance there somewhere. I don't want to overstate it, but it's there. I spent a lot of time comparing the HE500 to the DT880 Pro and whatever else the HE500 brought to the table (and we all know its many virtues by now) the DT880 was definitely the more open, neutral and balanced headphone to my ears. Call me tin-eared if you like, but I just found that whenever I sat down to listen to music, I just naturally reached for the DT880 as the friendlier, more inviting sound.

 

Ditto. The DT880 was my first real full-sized. Though the mids are more recessed, I find the DT880 to have more dimensionality to the sound.

post #62 of 238

Nice Review! 

 

I have HE-500 and HD580 (modded to be HD600, as they have upgrade cable, they are actually a slight bit better, technically as a bit faster and tighter) and i regularly hear the HD650 (My Mate owns them and stays over every thursday for audio sessions!)

 

Now the HD600 are great headphones but when comparing i always go for the HE-500 because like many have said here, they just do things better while having a similar approach. You said that your amp gets the HE-500 loud enough at 50% but that does not mean they are getting the power they need and generally sound good. I have some amps that i can get the HE-500 loud enough to blow my ears off and even with my iPhone 4 i got them to listenable levels but they are so far from being driven well with these. I think you have to have a powerful amp to really appreciate how good the HE-500 are and can get. BUT that being said i love my HD580 and they are a slightly better value!

 

As for the HD650 part they are on the same level as HD600 and certainly do not lack lack life but they are just a bit bassier so it really depends on what you listen to if to what you enjoy more! Out of me and my mate, i prefer the 580, he prefers the 650 and we would both easily take the HE-500 over both of them, considering i am use a 1300 USD DAC and 600 dollar amp with them i can say they are all being well driven!

post #63 of 238
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

Nice Review! 

 

I have HE-500 and HD580 (modded to be HD600, as they have upgrade cable, they are actually a slight bit better, technically as a bit faster and tighter) and i regularly hear the HD650 (My Mate owns them and stays over every thursday for audio sessions!)

 

Now the HD600 are great headphones but when comparing i always go for the HE-500 because like many have said here, they just do things better while having a similar approach. You said that your amp gets the HE-500 loud enough at 50% but that does not mean they are getting the power they need and generally sound good. I have some amps that i can get the HE-500 loud enough to blow my ears off and even with my iPhone 4 i got them to listenable levels but they are so far from being driven well with these. I think you have to have a powerful amp to really appreciate how good the HE-500 are and can get. BUT that being said i love my HD580 and they are a slightly better value!

 

As for the HD650 part they are on the same level as HD600 and certainly do not lack lack life but they are just a bit bassier so it really depends on what you listen to if to what you enjoy more! Out of me and my mate, i prefer the 580, he prefers the 650 and we would both easily take the HE-500 over both of them, considering i am use a 1300 USD DAC and 600 dollar amp with them i can say they are all being well driven!

 

1) Thanks

 

2) Please tell me how I'll know when the HE-500 is "being driven properly," because that seems to be an excuse for the HE-500 when someone says it's not the best in the world. My amp puts out about 2W of power (I measured), but if the HE-500 requires more than that, I'm not interested. I said I can get it to "too loud" levels at 50%. I listen at about 35%

 

3) What exactly does the HE-500 do better? I've done an objective comparison using tracks that are easily tracable. Anyone can repeat my tests and come to similar conclusions if they don't have any biases.

 

4) I'm happy that you can afford a $2,000 system at your tender age. However, price is no indication of quality. I think you should have learned that by now, Master Reviewer. wink.gif

post #64 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

1) Thanks

 

2) Please tell me how I'll know when the HE-500 is "being driven properly," because that seems to be an excuse for the HE-500 when someone says it's not the best in the world. My amp puts out about 2W of power (I measured), but if the HE-500 requires more than that, I'm not interested. I said I can get it to "too loud" levels at 50%. I listen at about 35%

 

3) What exactly does the HE-500 do better? I've done an objective comparison using tracks that are easily tracable. Anyone can repeat my tests and come to similar conclusions if they don't have any biases.

 

4) I'm happy that you can afford a $2,000 system at your tender age. However, price is no indication of quality. I think you should have learned that by now, Master Reviewer. wink.gif

2) i was not saying you were not having the headphone driven properly only that the volume you can get is not an indicator of it being driven well. As a headphone that needs an amp i do however think that you should try a few before making a decision on it.

 

3) Your comparison is subjective. Its what your ears are telling you. Objective would be what you get on rin choi who analyses measurements! I could repeat your tests with no biases and get to different result down to my system that will surely change how both the headphone perform. there will also be biases as i will enjoy the same song differently to you, no?

 

4) No it is not but i can tell you they are both very high quality pieces. Only a bit of background. 

post #65 of 238
Welcome to the "you underpowered them" corner. When I first started listening to the LCD and HE, both sounded like you described. Cavernous and diffuse centerstage. I could get plenty loud on my headphone amps and even the couple speaker amps I used and the left and right staging was beautiful. It wasn't until I put some serious speaker amp power to the HE that the staging and echo effect stopped and the intimate feel and cohesive soundstage was offered up. Lots of people think volume is the measure of an amp. This journey has shown me an amp has a lot of influence on the sound. The most influence is the spatial cues that form the soundstage. If you think the 500s are strange, listen to the 6s underpowered.

That said, dynamic driver cans are certainly the common driver in the market and the gear is designed with them in mind. When the orthos get their feed from a properly powered amp, you need less db to get the musical clarity you had to crank with other amps. The scary thing about the HE's is that when you do get properly amped, you are listening louder than you should because it sounds so damn good.

I am firmly in the ortho camp now with an extended trip with the HD 800, T-1, LCDs, RS/GS/PS, K/Q. Of course, this is my opinion and with a dollar, I might get someone to listen. The 600s are my favorite (pre 800) Sen. and on my Singlepower amp, they still are a reference dynamic can. Certainly an apple and orange challenge that have only sound in common.
post #66 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

1) Thanks

 

2) Please tell me how I'll know when the HE-500 is "being driven properly," because that seems to be an excuse for the HE-500 when someone says it's not the best in the world. My amp puts out about 2W of power (I measured), but if the HE-500 requires more than that, I'm not interested. I said I can get it to "too loud" levels at 50%. I listen at about 35%

 

3) What exactly does the HE-500 do better? I've done an objective comparison using tracks that are easily tracable. Anyone can repeat my tests and come to similar conclusions if they don't have any biases.

 

4) I'm happy that you can afford a $2,000 system at your tender age. However, price is no indication of quality. I think you should have learned that by now, Master Reviewer. wink.gif

 

 

blink.gif

post #67 of 238
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

 

3) Your comparison is subjective. Its what your ears are telling you. Objective would be what you get on rin choi who analyses measurements! I could repeat your tests with no biases and get to different result down to my system that will surely change how both the headphone perform. there will also be biases as i will enjoy the same song differently to you, no?

 

 

Subjectivity would be saying "the HD600 sounds waaay better than the HE-500. It's just better."

 

My comparison is objective because I reported exactly what I heard without involving my own preferences, which I expanded on later. Despite popular belief, our ears are not that different. Only our biases are.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

 

 

4) No it is not but i can tell you they are both very high quality pieces. Only a bit of background. 

 

Ok.

post #68 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Welcome to the "you underpowered them" corner. When I first started listening to the LCD and HE, both sounded like you described. Cavernous and diffuse centerstage. I could get plenty loud on my headphone amps and even the couple speaker amps I used and the left and right staging was beautiful. It wasn't until I put some serious speaker amp power to the HE that the staging and echo effect stopped and the intimate feel and cohesive soundstage was offered up. Lots of people think volume is the measure of an amp. This journey has shown me an amp has a lot of influence on the sound. The most influence is the spatial cues that form the soundstage. If you think the 500s are strange, listen to the 6s underpowered.

That said, dynamic driver cans are certainly the common driver in the market and the gear is designed with them in mind. When the orthos get their feed from a properly powered amp, you need less db to get the musical clarity you had to crank with other amps. The scary thing about the HE's is that when you do get properly amped, you are listening louder than you should because it sounds so damn good.

I am firmly in the ortho camp now with an extended trip with the HD 800, T-1, LCDs, RS/GS/PS, K/Q. Of course, this is my opinion and with a dollar, I might get someone to listen. The 600s are my favorite (pre 800) Sen. and on my Singlepower amp, they still are a reference dynamic can. Certainly an apple and orange challenge that have only sound in common.

Very well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Subjectivity would be saying "the HD600 sounds waaay better than the HE-500. It's just better."

 

My comparison is objective because I reported exactly what I heard without involving my own preferences, which I expanded on later. Despite popular belief, our ears are not that different. Only our biases are.

 

At the end of a song comparison you said winner. Your subjective opinion on what you decided your ears preferred. I never said are ears are different but i like listening to music different to others. Your ears opinion on how a song should sound is as subjective as my ears opinion. Also everyone that says: "the HD600 sounds waaay better than the HE-500. It's just better." will have done listening tests with different songs, just like you have, even if they do not write it up like you do?

post #69 of 238
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Welcome to the "you underpowered them" corner. When I first started listening to the LCD and HE, both sounded like you described. Cavernous and diffuse centerstage. I could get plenty loud on my headphone amps and even the couple speaker amps I used and the left and right staging was beautiful. It wasn't until I put some serious speaker amp power to the HE that the staging and echo effect stopped and the intimate feel and cohesive soundstage was offered up. Lots of people think volume is the measure of an amp. This journey has shown me an amp has a lot of influence on the sound. The most influence is the spatial cues that form the soundstage. If you think the 500s are strange, listen to the 6s underpowered.

That said, dynamic driver cans are certainly the common driver in the market and the gear is designed with them in mind. When the orthos get their feed from a properly powered amp, you need less db to get the musical clarity you had to crank with other amps. The scary thing about the HE's is that when you do get properly amped, you are listening louder than you should because it sounds so damn good.

I am firmly in the ortho camp now with an extended trip with the HD 800, T-1, LCDs, RS/GS/PS, K/Q. Of course, this is my opinion and with a dollar, I might get someone to listen. The 600s are my favorite (pre 800) Sen. and on my Singlepower amp, they still are a reference dynamic can. Certainly an apple and orange challenge that have only sound in common.

 

Again, if the 2W output of my amp isn't enough, I'm simply not interested.

post #70 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Again, if the 2W output of my amp isn't enough, I'm simply not interested.
Then good day.......
post #71 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Subjectivity would be saying "the HD600 sounds waaay better than the HE-500. It's just better."

 

My comparison is objective because I reported exactly what I heard without involving my own preferences, which I expanded on later. Despite popular belief, our ears are not that different. Only our biases are.

 

 

 

 

Ok.

 

 

That's impossible..  

 

 

400

post #72 of 238
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

That's impossible..  

 

 

 

 

It would seem you don't know the meaning of the word.

post #73 of 238

Seems like you don't know the difference between objective and subjective...... Your hearing is not objective..

 

 

 

 

im·pos·si·ble

  [im-pos-uh-buhl]  Show IPA
adjective
1.
not possible; unable to be, exist, happen, etc.
2.
unable to be done, performed, effected, etc.: an impossibleassignment.
3.
incapable of being true, as a rumor.
4.
not to be done, endured, etc., with any degree of reason orpropriety: an impossible situation.
5.
utterly impracticable: an impossible plan.
 
 
 
 
post #74 of 238

fyi, alot of nba fans would cringe at the jordan kobe comparison.

 

are their playstyles similar?

 

yes, but in terms of overall/all time rank-there's a huge gap (even if Kobe is in the top 10)


Edited by kcazbarach - 3/26/13 at 8:43am
post #75 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcazbarach View Post

fyi, alot of nba fans would laugh at the jordan kobe comparison.

 

only folk who legitimately believe kobe is close/ and or better are kobe fans (some of which i know aren't laker fans)

 

are their playstyles similar?

 

yes, but in terms of overall/all time rank-there's a huge gap (even if Kobe is in the top 10)

This is craptastically off-topic sir. Of all the things you could discuss on a headphone site, you're going to argue the reviewer's headphone comparison to basketball greats?

 

2W is more than enough for the HE-500. Adding more to that number does jack for the sound. There's so much more to amps than just raw power, do we really need megaloud amps that can blow up an HE-6 before people are satisfied?

 

Nice review, good to hear your impressions of the two headphones. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600