Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600 - Page 4

post #46 of 251

I own HD650 and HE-500. I find HE-500 noticeably cleaner with a much tighter and faster bass, and smoother, quicker highs. That's out of an Essence STX with the built-in amp though. Mids are great on HD650 though.

post #47 of 251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

I own HD650 and HE-500. I find HE-500 noticeably cleaner with a much tighter and faster bass, and smoother, quicker highs. That's out of an Essence STX with the built-in amp though. Mids are great on HD650 though.

 

Again, this isn't a review of the HD650. For what it's worth, here is a PM I got while waiting on my 600 to arrive:

 

 

 

Quote:
Congratulations on the HD600s! They are some of my favorite headphones. Whatever you do, do NOT get "tempted" by the HD650s. They are NOT an upgrade. The HD600s and HD650s sound all but identical when it comes to bass, but the HD650s lack treble extension, sparkle and life. They are dull as heck and all versions sound veiled. Everyone here at Head-Fi sees that the 650s have a higher number, so they assume they must be better. They are not.
post #48 of 251

I thought they sound pretty similar though. At least, that seems to be the general consensus - HD650 is just a bit darker with more bass, while HD600 is a bit more neutral, while the overall character and sound quality are very similar. I am pretty sure I would feel the same if I was comparing HD600 to HE-500 - I am sure that HD600 also lacks bass tightness and the effortless smoothness in the treble that HE-500 has.


Edited by Pianist - 3/21/13 at 2:02pm
post #49 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Again, this isn't a review of the HD650. For what it's worth, here is a PM I got while waiting on my 600 to arrive:

 

Congratulations on the HD600s! They are some of my favorite headphones. Whatever you do, do NOT get "tempted" by the HD650s. They are NOT an upgrade. The HD600s and HD650s sound all but identical when it comes to bass, but the HD650s lack treble extension, sparkle and life. They are dull as heck and all versions sound veiled. Everyone here at Head-Fi sees that the 650s have a higher number, so they assume they must be better. They are not.

 

 

 

 

Whoa.  That seems like something I may have written.  I need to check my sent folder just in case.  eek.gif  

wink.gif

 

 

Edit: I just checked. Nope.  It wasn't me.  Everything is essentially true what has been provided, with the exception of the term "veiled".  I don't think the HD-650 is veiled, but I do think it has a more reserved upper end when compared to the HD-600.  Both are still fine headphones, but my nod goes to the HD-600 based on my tastes and how I like to enjoy my music.


Edited by wje - 3/21/13 at 2:10pm
post #50 of 251

It's totally subjective and shouldn't be written as proven fact. I've listened to, and owned, numerous 600s and 650s and always preferred the 650. So do--apparently--thousands of others. To say the 650s lack sparkle and life has to be followed by IMO.

post #51 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Again, this isn't a review of the HD650. For what it's worth, here is a PM I got while waiting on my 600 to arrive:

 

 

 

 

I just today got a DHC Peptide cable for my HD600 and.............I have six other cables I thought couldn't be touched on these....Cardas, Toxic Cables pure sivler 1% gold, Baldur MKII pure silver, Mogami Neglex Gold HD Cryoed, Headphone Lounge pure silver signal/copper return hybrid, the Peptide from Peter has really won me over.....and I also own HD580, so all of the cables are interchangeable.  The Peptide is neutral sounding, with very open natural sound, increased soundstage, precision imaging and detail, and still the best mids/vocals of any headphone I have heard!  Cables do make a difference, IMO, but I won't argue that point with anyone!  You gotta trust your ears!

post #52 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

It's totally subjective and shouldn't be written as proven fact. I've listened to, and owned, numerous 600s and 650s and always preferred the 650. So do--apparently--thousands of others. To say the 650s lack sparkle and life has to be followed by IMO.

We're all in here for the IMOs atsmile.gif

post #53 of 251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

I thought they sound pretty similar though. At least, that seems to be the general consensus - HD650 is just a bit darker with more bass, while HD600 is a bit more neutral, while the overall character and sound quality are very similar. I am pretty sure I would feel the same if I was comparing HD600 to HE-500 - I am sure that HD600 also lacks bass tightness and the effortless smoothness in the treble that HE-500 has.

 

I'm not discounting your experience. I'm simply reporting exactly what I heard using these test tracks that are somewhat representative of my music library. If what you listen to shines on the HE-500, then don't ever let me tell make you doubt your ears.

 

I personally prefer the HD600 for my very genre diverse library. The HE-500 has its moments, like in the Leonard Cohen track I posted, but the HD600 always sounds good with everything I have. That's very important to me, a student who doesn't have the money or space for multiple headphone setups.

post #54 of 251

What amp are you using again.  I keep seeing you refer to the volume knob as being at 50% or something.  Just a tip.  Gain (volume pot) has nothing to do with the power of an amp.  Just about any amp can have high gain and make any headphone get loud.

 

I found the 500s will get better and better with better gear (amps) and such.  However, they do have a celling.  

 

I owned all three HD600, HD650 and the HE-500s.  I sold both Senns.  Kept the 500s. because of the music I like. 

post #55 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

What amp are you using again.

 +1 the OP skirts around this question every time. IMO your amp is not feeding the HE-500 enough power and you are blaming the headphones.  Until you disclose the amp and it's power output your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, of course IMO.

post #56 of 251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

 +1 the OP skirts around this question every time. IMO your amp is not feeding the HE-500 enough power and you are blaming the headphones.  Until you disclose the amp and it's power output your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, of course IMO.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

What amp are you using again.  I keep seeing you refer to the volume knob as being at 50% or something.  Just a tip.  Gain (volume pot) has nothing to do with the power of an amp.  Just about any amp can have high gain and make any headphone get loud.

 

I found the 500s will get better and better with better gear (amps) and such.  However, they do have a celling.  

 

I owned all three HD600, HD650 and the HE-500s.  I sold both Senns.  Kept the 500s. because of the music I like. 

 

 

I'm pretty sure I answered that question earlier in the thread. 

 

My amp doesn't have a name. It was custom built by Audiowize. He said the value of the amp is around $400, and that it's about as transparent/powerful of an amp as you can get around its price range.


Edited by eke2k6 - 3/24/13 at 6:35pm
post #57 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

 

 

 

I'm pretty sure I answered that question earlier in the thread. 

 

My amp doesn't have a name. It was custom built by Audiowize. My version is an updated design, with high grade components. He said the value of the amp is around $400.

 

This is about as transparent/powerful of an amp as you can get around this price range.

 

lol...

 

beerchug.gif

 

Enjoy..

post #58 of 251
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

lol...

 

beerchug.gif

 

Enjoy..

 

I'm sorry it's not a Lyr or Conductor. Please forgive me.

post #59 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

I guess I have more of a focus on the natural timbre of things, which the HD600 portrays much better than the HE-500. Maybe if you listened primarily to electronic music, the HE-500 would be the better bet.

nice review! 

 

i feel the HE-500's do have a bit of a cavernous sound to them that can make some recordings sound a bit weird and unnatural at times, but the HE-500 are still better than the 600/650 for just about everything. though the hd 650s/600s scale very nicely and are a steal at their low price.

 

you're right about the HE-500 and electronic music,  best headphones i've heard besides the pro 900 and LCD-2 for it. theres just so much air in the music, and the bass,  its perfect for trance, house, dubstep, drum and bass, electro, techno, and just about everything else. vocals are especially nice.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 3/26/13 at 4:21am
post #60 of 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

i feel the HE-500's do have a bit of a cavernous sound to them that can make some recordings sound a bit weird and unnatural at times

 

I've mentioned this several times--it's the reason I sold them. To me they tended to make everything sound like it was recorded in a cave; there's definitely a resonance there somewhere. I don't want to overstate it, but it's there. I spent a lot of time comparing the HE500 to the DT880 Pro and whatever else the HE500 brought to the table (and we all know its many virtues by now) the DT880 was definitely the more open, neutral and balanced headphone to my ears. Call me tin-eared if you like, but I just found that whenever I sat down to listen to music, I just naturally reached for the DT880 as the friendlier, more inviting sound.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600