Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. . - Page 83

post #1231 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

The stock/IEM amp module is NOT a balanced amp module, which is why you're not hearing a difference. When your balanced module arrives, be sure to connect/disconnect your headphones only when the player is OFF.

 

I do have the balanced amp installed.  It just not stay balanced mode even with the switch in balanced mode.  It is like it slips out or my connector on the 901 has the pins in the wrong spots to make a good connection.  Once my HD650 cable arrive I will see if it does the same thing.

 

The balanced mode, when I hold the connector to get it working sounds so much better it leaves no doubt when it is active and when not.  Currently using the Songbirds in balanced mode, balanced amp.

post #1232 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphillips63 View Post
 

 

I do have the balanced amp installed.  It just not stay balanced mode even with the switch in balanced mode.  It is like it slips out or my connector on the 901 has the pins in the wrong spots to make a good connection.  Once my HD650 cable arrive I will see if it does the same thing.

 

The balanced mode, when I hold the connector to get it working sounds so much better it leaves no doubt when it is active and when not.  Currently using the Songbirds in balanced mode, balanced amp.

 

Oh ok, well I hope your issues get solved soon then :)

post #1233 of 2958

Thanks man, me too.  It sounds so great in balanced mode.  After messing with it all morning it does seem to be working most of the time in the proper mode.

I am still going to email HiFiMan support about it though.

post #1234 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphillips63 View Post
 

Thanks man, me too.  It sounds so great in balanced mode.  After messing with it all morning it does seem to be working most of the time in the proper mode.

I am still going to email HiFiMan support about it though.

 

 

I really enjoyed listening to music with the balanced amp and my new TRRS cable on my HD650. Really impressive. That is, when it worked. I was never really quite sure if the balance switch was working. It barely engaged. In addition (as stated before in my earlier post) after it warmed up the channels would reverse. My right channel was now my left channel and my left channel became the right channel. I received an answer back today from tech support and they stated this has happened to other customers as well but they aren't sure of the cause keep using it and perhaps it will go away in time. I could exchange it. Not only that but they don't know when they will have more HM901's in stock in the USA maybe by the end of September. So now I'm out of luck. Why is it that all the HM901 players on HifiMan and Audioadvisor just disappeared around the same time? Coincidence or are they being pulled because the bugs, which seem to be many lately need to be fixed. Then I just read your post, especially this comment.."does seem to be working most of the time". Why isn't it working all of the time. I returned my HM901 and the balanced amp today for a refund. I'm going to wait for awhile, a long while and read this forum until it appears that most of the problems have been worked out and perhaps try again. In the meantime I am going to try the AK120 and see what it sounds like compared to the HM901. Although I had a few minor issues with my HM801 it was never this bad. 


Edited by glockhit - 9/9/13 at 4:46pm
post #1235 of 2958

Thanks glockhit.  I had read your posts but at the time did not understand what could be going on.  Now however I do, unfortunately.

My balanced cable (4 pin to to TRRS), made by Christopher at charleston cable, arrived today.  IT does seem to be in balanced mode all the time now but even worse, I am getting distortion in the left ear.

At first I thought it was clipping but it is not.  This is some kind of issue related to the connector and or balanced switch.

This happens with the HD650 balanced and the RE-600 balanced.  

So I am going to check if it happens with single ended cables and decide what to do.  I do want the 901 working because it sounds so great.

post #1236 of 2958
I'm sorry you're having problems. I also had a Charleston cable. That was the first thing I checked.It was wired correctly. Definitely not a headphone issue. Something was wrong with the HM901. If HifiMan doesn't know what it is then it's time to say goodbye to the HM901. Good luck with yours.
post #1237 of 2958
Definitely seems like the normal/balanced switch is having mechanical failure. Should get it exchanged and hifiman/head-direct should incur shipping cost for that.... not sure what's the return/exchange policy from other vendors if you didn't bought direct from hifiman.
post #1238 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

 

Worth a try....  I have plenty of access to cable workshops locally but the issue had been there's no readily available parts for a good female TRRS connector. :(

 

Thanks, kkcc and LarsHP. I will order both to see if any difference..I dont know how to order from TMALL and will ask my colleague to help... I checked that there are so many accessories and that the battery is cheaper than headdirect.. good link.... I hope soon I dont need to detach cable........

post #1239 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

Yes the 901 works amazingly well when utilizing the balanced module to its fullest potential :) Glad to hear you're enjoying it much more now!

Thanks, brunk! I also tried using Heir 5.0 with trrs termination.. I could hear bass coming out of these iem like I have never heard before...(I had to pull them out of my ears to check if they are really 5.0) Today, I checked with Affinity cable to see if Sean is using a different wire this time... he told me that it is the same wire and the credit goes to 901... 901 balance is this amazing... it is no hyperbole... just pure awesome.. I have asked a colleague to help me to order a spare battery and charger from tmall site that kkcc shared... I am just that worried if the music will stop! LoL

 

Guys, I emailed head-direct to see if they are willing to sell the trrs to trs adapter that comes with RE-600 separately.  It is 5usd not including shipping.. just thought this info can be helpful to fellow 901 owners...

post #1240 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

Thanks, brunk! I also tried using Heir 5.0 with trrs termination.. I could hear bass coming out of these iem like I have never heard before...(I had to pull them out of my ears to check if they are really 5.0) Today, I checked with Affinity cable to see if Sean is using a different wire this time... he told me that it is the same wire and the credit goes to 901... 901 balance is this amazing... it is no hyperbole... just pure awesome.. I have asked a colleague to help me to order a spare battery and charger from tmall site that kkcc shared... I am just that worried if the music will stop! LoL

 

Guys, I emailed head-direct to see if they are willing to sell the trrs to trs adapter that comes with RE-600 separately.  It is 5usd not including shipping.. just thought this info can be helpful to fellow 901 owners...

 

Hhehe yep it really is great sound! Glad to see hifiman is generous enough to sell the adapter too, good info.

:beerchug:

post #1241 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

I am happy to report when switching from stock cable (SE) to silver cable (balance) both setting at high gain, the 901 drives the hd650 to amazing level, the amount of detail manifested even after turning down the volume.... highly recommended if you plan to do so.. I have to take back all my hateful comments on this device....

Heya Cosmic!
What balanced HD650 cable did you get? What brand and model?
Cheers Ollie
post #1242 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie6052 View Post


Heya Cosmic!
What balanced HD650 cable did you get? What brand and model?
Cheers Ollie

 

Hi

it is local DIY of 10 strands of thin 30 AWG solid core silver wire. Sorry for not being much of help here.. you can email the usual suspects to ask for trrs termination.

post #1243 of 2958

My HM901 skips occasionally - it can be very annoying and I hope that they sort it out soon. 

post #1244 of 2958
I purchased some DSD music and it will not play on my 901 any ideas it was a big reason for buying the 901
post #1245 of 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsreference View Post

I purchased some DSD music and it will not play on my 901 any ideas it was a big reason for buying the 901

 

The firmware is still having some bugs with DSD file, just give them some time to fix it I believe.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. .