or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW . - Page 39

post #571 of 3412
Just a quick check.

For those who got the 2nd production batch of HM-901, do you see any build quality issue like wheel falls off?

Or other quality issues that have not been addressed previously?
post #572 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I have 2 cards (let me guess, u used them in the AK1x0 ;-)??).

One works if I'm lucky (i.e. intermittently). The other worked once yesterday & couldn't for the life of me get it to work today. Card error.

I did buy the two 64GB MicroSDXC on different times & I do believe SanDisk has been refreshing/updating them. But I feel the older one has the higher percentage of working.

 

I have had a SanDisk 64GB Micro crap out on me - it gets REAL hot (scary!) and dies. They were really cool and warrantied it, but I had to send it to 'em and wait......but they did replace it.
post #573 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Wow. U're more thorough than me. I just whack out any .* files in the SD card.

find /Volumes/[SD Card] -name ".*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

I use to do something almost identical to that statement above (though you can do -delete without find forking rm) until I did a bit of research about Spotcrap...err Spotlight.
post #574 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

 

I have had a SanDisk 64GB Micro crap out on me - it gets REAL hot (scary!) and dies. They were really cool and warrantied it, but I had to send it to 'em and wait......but they did replace it.

 

!!?! I've never heard of an SD card overheating. That's gotta be quite scary. I know even with the SanDisk MicroSD, there's been quite a few revisions. From the AK100 thread I posted :-
 

Further I noticed that you bought 2xSANDisk 64GB MicroSDXC. I noticed that there are different types (at least from what I can see in Japan) :-

 

SDSDQUA-064G-U64A: http://kakaku.com/item/K0000372846/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_image

SDSDQY-064G-U64A [Obsolete]: http://kakaku.com/item/K0000349560/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_image

SDSDQU-064G-J35A: http://kakaku.com/item/K0000452673/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_image

SDSDQY-064G-J35A [Obsolete]: http://kakaku.com/item/K0000342078/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_image

 

Further from the SANDisk forums about differences (they mention another which I've not seen A11A):-

 

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile-memory-professional-cards/Is-quot-SDSDQY-064G-U46A-quot-the-same-as-quot-SDSDQUA-064G-A11A/td-p/273971

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post


I use to do something almost identical to that statement above (though you can do -delete without find forking rm) until I did a bit of research about Spotcrap...err Spotlight.

 

You're probably referring to the -delete. The reason I do that is 'cos it doesn't delete the .directories with files in it (e.g. .fseventsd, .Spotlight_V100). But in your command you explicitly state those files. That's why I stated you're thorough (whilst implying I'm lazy :D).

 

Anyhow, so far I've managed to get the HM-901 to read that 128GB Transcend SDXC card once and left it. I'm kinda frightened to take it out again. Let's just say that it takes approx 10-20 ejects/inserts in various combination (with the device switched off, switched on, putting in a low capacity card first, then the high capacity card, etc.) before getting it to read.

 

As such I've got a question for you HM-901 owners. Do you get the spinning wheel (top right corner) -every time- you insert a card or only occasionally? Mine is occasionally and only when it does it means it's successfully reading the high capacity card.

post #575 of 3412

Yes the spinning wheel appears every time I insert a card.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

As such I've got a question for you HM-901 owners. Do you get the spinning wheel (top right corner) -every time- you insert a card or only occasionally? Mine is occasionally and only when it does it means it's successfully reading the high capacity card.

post #576 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post

Yes the spinning wheel appears every time I insert a card.

 

 

I also got it spinning everytime I insert a card regardless of capacity or format....

post #577 of 3412

Heh...maybe that's why mine is 2nd hand. OK I'm gonna try the 1.080beta and see if that helps. If not, I guess I may have to send this back for checkup/repair. Man d/l-ing the 1.080 is taking a long time though - 5hs estimated. Don't suppose any of you have d/l-ed it?

post #578 of 3412

Thx to PekingDuck, 1.080Beta works much better. This then reminded me of an old post which I forgot :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656138/hifiman-hm-901-a-review-in-progress-factory-visit-starting-pg-18-imgs-pg-19/180#post_9509770

 

I must have had the older buggy version of 1.074 (cos my albums have cue files) and Hifiman subsequently cut a newer 1.074 NONCUE. I noticed the SDXC Memory print on the SD Card access door to be worn and I don't think I would have worn out the print that quickly just from today's ejecting and inserting cards. Which makes me guess if the previous owner had the same issue and got fed up and sold it back to the store.

 

Anyway 1.080Beta works with my SD Card, so thank you pekingduck!

post #579 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Thx to PekingDuck, 1.080Beta works much better. This then reminded me of an old post which I forgot :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656138/hifiman-hm-901-a-review-in-progress-factory-visit-starting-pg-18-imgs-pg-19/180#post_9509770

 

I must have had the older buggy version of 1.074 (cos my albums have cue files) and Hifiman subsequently cut a newer 1.074 NONCUE. I noticed the SDXC Memory print on the SD Card access door to be worn and I don't think I would have worn out the print that quickly just from today's ejecting and inserting cards. Which makes me guess if the previous owner had the same issue and got fed up and sold it back to the store.

 

Anyway 1.080Beta works with my SD Card, so thank you pekingduck!

 

Sounds like you did have the unstable 1.074... well since you're on 1.080 now, please test and see if any issues!  I'd like to get gapless with this but am still wary of stability...... thanks for taking one for the community here!

post #580 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

From the command line:

  • mdutil -i off /Volumes/USB Volume
  • cd /Volumes/USB Volume
  • rm -rf .{,_.}{fseventsd,Spotlight-V*,Trashes}
  • mkdir .fseventsd
  • touch .fseventsd/no_log .metadata_never_index .Trashes
  • cd -

Where USB Volume is the actual mount point your stick gets attached too.

I did this for my USB external drive, works like a champ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Wow. U're more thorough than me. I just whack out any .* files in the SD card.

find /Volumes/[SD Card] -name ".*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

Does anyone mind explaining this to me? Not too sure how I use those command lines. Do I use it in terminal?
I find the trash and * files on my dap rather annoying.
post #581 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonckr View Post


Does anyone mind explaining this to me? Not too sure how I use those command lines. Do I use it in terminal?
I find the trash and * files on my dap rather annoying.

Yes Open up the "Terminal" application which gives you a UNIX shell.

Execute one command at a time in my list substituting USB Volume for your mount point (type 'mount' to determine where your USB stick/drive mounted on).
post #582 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

 

This is a VERY nice photograph, Jamato8!   I really like the way the reflections and shadows work - it holds my attention a long time.

 

http://www.pbase.com/jamato8/image/150836242/original

 

Mike

I agree, it's a great photograph!

post #583 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post


Yes Open up the "Terminal" application which gives you a UNIX shell.

Execute one command at a time in my list substituting USB Volume for your mount point (type 'mount' to determine where your USB stick/drive mounted on).

 


 

Thanks Trog,

 

Made it work like magic! the root folder looks so gooooooooood now!!

post #584 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonckr View Post



 
Thanks Trog,

Made it work like magic! the root folder looks so gooooooooood now!!

Trogdor strikes again!

Anytime! :-)
post #585 of 3412

Did those who already bought the 901 get this package - incl. gift box?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .