or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW . - Page 164

post #2446 of 3412
Thread Starter 

Bright is not equal to detail. But I can hear when detail is lost. 

 

I see nothing wrong with a beta, as long as people realize that is what it is, which in this case, they should. I chose not to use Rockbox betas as I didn't want the hassle, I wanted a stable release. I don't mind using a beta in this case. 

 

I look forward to all impressions of the beta. I find that once a card is scanned, the startup is much faster as Mmouille mentions. 


Edited by jamato8 - 3/30/14 at 7:47am
post #2447 of 3412
I have been listening to 1.085 with balanced card and my NT6 with TWau cable. It does not sound particularly warm or at least not warmer than before from memory. It is clearly warmer than ZX1 with Hugo, but this has always been the case. Apart from that, no bug to be reported, and startup is much faster. I have not played with the Df yet.
post #2448 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
 

Bright is not equal to detail. But I can hear when detail is lost. 

 

I see nothing wrong with a beta, as long as people realize that is what it is, which in this case, they should. I chose not to use Rockbox betas as I didn't want the hassle, I wanted a stable release. I don't mind using a beta in this case. 

 

I look forward to all impressions of the beta. I find that once a card is scanned, the startup is much faster as Mmouille mentions. 

 

I prefer a Beta to nothing.  If you're adverse to any negative changes of any kind and only want polished releases, don't use Beta releases.  Just wait until there's a proper.  It's easy enough to flash back to old firmware, I'm willing to try out Beta releases.

 

And yes, the initial card scan is really slow (especially when you have a nearly full 128GB card) and unlike 1.084, it essentially hangs the player, so you can't do anything at all until it's done.  But it's faster when it's done.  I still prefer the older method though, even though it made the player really laggy while it was running in the background.

 

I did notice that it now lists the Song title on top, rather than just the file name.  So you'll see "Awesome Song"   rather than "01- Great_Band - Awsome_Song.flac"

post #2449 of 3412

So far as I can tell, it's really difficult to tell the difference.  I've tried many different song types and bit rates (24/48, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192).

 

The most noticeable difference is the treble decay and fall off maybe.  Also soundstage, the HM-901 on 1.084 is maybe slightly more open sounding?  Slightly less congested?   It's so subtle.

 

There may be a tiny bit of high Bass, low Midrange emphasis, bump up.  Maybe that part is what makes it sound warmer perhaps?

 

I don't know, it's kind of too close to call, because the playback behavior is quite different now, because 1.084 cuts off a lot more of the beginning of songs.  1.085b still cuts off the beginning, but much less so.

 

Maybe there's sample variation between the player builds?  My HM-901 is one of the first ones made, and the other 2 I'm comparing are more recently built.

 

And I couldn't tell a difference really with Digital Bypass Filter being On or Off.  I'm exactly sure what it's supposed to be doing.  Something with the Dock?  

post #2450 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post

So far as I can tell, it's really difficult to tell the difference.  I've tried many different song types and bit rates (24/48, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192).

The most noticeable difference is the treble decay and fall off maybe.  Also soundstage, the HM-901 on 1.084 is maybe slightly more open sounding?  Slightly less congested?   It's so subtle.

There may be a tiny bit of high Bass, low Midrange emphasis, bump up.  Maybe that part is what makes it sound warmer perhaps?

I don't know, it's kind of too close to call, because the playback behavior is quite different now, because 1.084 cuts off a lot more of the beginning of songs.  1.085b still cuts off the beginning, but much less so.

Maybe there's sample variation between the player builds?  My HM-901 is one of the first ones made, and the other 2 I'm comparing are more recently built.

And I couldn't tell a difference really with Digital Bypass Filter being On or Off.  I'm exactly sure what it's supposed to be doing.  Something with the Dock?  
If the difference is so subtle from ABing, it must really not be significant. Maybe Jamato has this impression because the dx90 is slightly brighter?
post #2451 of 3412

I have been using the minibox card only for more than 3 weeks.....listening using Fitear C435 with 000 cable (largely because I am too lazy to switch card)

 

This morning , I changed back to balance card with silver cable going balance. The sound is much airy and spacious when comparing to the minibox + 000 setup. The detail is around the same but the airy and smooth sound seems to be more appealing.

 

As for the digital filter, I will leave it off as vocal sounds a little unnatural when on...

post #2452 of 3412

I dont find the new firmware to be warmer...

post #2453 of 3412
Thread Starter 

Ok, you guys are right. I don't know what was going on. I was using the HE560 and they did sound warmer with the 901 and new FW, it was significant to me when compared to my other daps. It must have been an interaction for something. The 560's are really opening up and the difference on the warmth issue isn't really there now and the detail is back. I can only account for the 560 and 901 not getting along for a while as I know what I was hearing but I know what I am hearing now and the warmth and loss of detail isn't there now. 

post #2454 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
 

Ok, you guys are right. I don't know what was going on. I was using the HE560 and they did sound warmer with the 901 and new FW, it was significant to me when compared to my other daps. It must have been an interaction for something. The 560's are really opening up and the difference on the warmth issue isn't really there now and the detail is back. I can only account for the 560 and 901 not getting along for a while as I know what I was hearing but I know what I am hearing now and the warmth and loss of detail isn't there now. 


wow... u have the DX90 AND the HE-560...step up or down when comparing with the HE-6? Please...

post #2455 of 3412
By the way guys...did you recable your th900 to use with the balance card? I think i will much prefer balance over minibox..
post #2456 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

Ok, you guys are right. I don't know what was going on. I was using the HE560 and they did sound warmer with the 901 and new FW, it was significant to me when compared to my other daps. It must have been an interaction for something. The 560's are really opening up and the difference on the warmth issue isn't really there now and the detail is back. I can only account for the 560 and 901 not getting along for a while as I know what I was hearing but I know what I am hearing now and the warmth and loss of detail isn't there now. 

I was a tiny little bit jealous u got the dx90 demo, and now a tad more knowing that you ALSO have the he560!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

By the way guys...did you recable your th900 to use with the balance card? I think i will much prefer balance over minibox..

I guess if I own the TH900 I would prefer minibox or the angel card over balanced. But then on several occasions I demo or tried TH900 I often find it a bit hollowed in the mid range which doesn't seems to pair well with the balanced card. But it's just my subjective preference.
post #2457 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


I guess if I own the TH900 I would prefer minibox or the angel card over balanced. But then on several occasions I demo or tried TH900 I often find it a bit hollowed in the mid range which doesn't seems to pair well with the balanced card. But it's just my subjective preference.

Thanks, kkcc. Thats a very good point!
post #2458 of 3412
Thread Starter 

I use my TH900 with Whiplash gold plated silver balanced and the sound is excellent. 

post #2459 of 3412

Finally got the Beta Windows USB Driver for the Dock.  1.085b is so worth it for the ability to use the Dock.  I can't get it to work in 24/192 yet for some reason, but it works in 24/96, and is better than using a USB to SPDIF converter like my Halide Bridge.

post #2460 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
 

Finally got the Beta Windows USB Driver for the Dock.  1.085b is so worth it for the ability to use the Dock.  I can't get it to work in 24/192 yet for some reason, but it works in 24/96, and is better than using a USB to SPDIF converter like my Halide Bridge.


hi Edwood

 

May I know what amp do you use with the Dock? Also, is there SQ improvement from using the normal LOD  (with 3.5 to RCA interconnect)?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .