or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW . - Page 133

post #1981 of 3412

Well after letting the iem card burn in for approximately 24 hours and conducting a track by track comparison with my SE5 here are my findings:

 

  • The iem card has as much punch / good dynamics as the balanced card with the SE5. So I doubt it will lack power for any iem.
  • It adds A LITTLE BIT of space / air vs. the balanced card
  • I was wondering why something soudned a bit off / fatiguing with the iem card, and I found out...the mids have a tendancy to become sibilant with the iem card, in quite a significant way

 

 

Overall, I prefer the balanced card with the SE5, mostly because of this sibilance issue. Therefore I will stick to it. I will do the test with my NT6 when they get back from reshell, and maybe with the Roxanne if I ever get them, otherwise the iem card will go on the for sale thread.

post #1982 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 

Well after letting the iem card burn in for approximately 24 hours and conducting a track by track comparison with my SE5 here are my findings:

 

  • The iem card has as much punch / good dynamics as the balanced card with the SE5. So I doubt it will lack power for any iem.
  • It adds A LITTLE BIT of space / air vs. the balanced card
  • I was wondering why something soudned a bit off / fatiguing with the iem card, and I found out...the mids have a tendancy to become sibilant with the iem card, in quite a significant way

 

 

Overall, I prefer the balanced card with the SE5, mostly because of this sibilance issue. Therefore I will stick to it. I will do the test with my NT6 when they get back from reshell, and maybe with the Roxanne if I ever get them, otherwise the iem card will go on the for sale thread.

 

Well there's still Minibox card to try ;) 


Edited by pekingduck - 1/19/14 at 11:57pm
post #1983 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post

Well there's still Minibox card to try wink.gif  
Did you try it yet? I do not think it would bring anything special to iems.
post #1984 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 

Well after letting the iem card burn in for approximately 24 hours and conducting a track by track comparison with my SE5 here are my findings:

 

  • The iem card has as much punch / good dynamics as the balanced card with the SE5. So I doubt it will lack power for any iem.
  • It adds A LITTLE BIT of space / air vs. the balanced card
  • I was wondering why something soudned a bit off / fatiguing with the iem card, and I found out...the mids have a tendancy to become sibilant with the iem card, in quite a significant way

 

 

Overall, I prefer the balanced card with the SE5, mostly because of this sibilance issue. Therefore I will stick to it. I will do the test with my NT6 when they get back from reshell, and maybe with the Roxanne if I ever get them, otherwise the iem card will go on the for sale thread.

 

Did you use single ended on both cards, or did you swap cables/add adapter for the balanced mode on the balanced card?

post #1985 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Did you try it yet? I do not think it would bring anything special to iems.

Yes but only very briefly with IEMs. Can't even remember how it was..

post #1986 of 3412
My 901 came with balance card installed n I never tried any card.. Is it hard to change card?
Does it have enough room for people to create an opamp rollable card?
Edited by CosmicHolyGhost - 1/20/14 at 3:52am
post #1987 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsblood View Post
 

 

Did you use single ended on both cards, or did you swap cables/add adapter for the balanced mode on the balanced card?


Single ended on iem card (of course) but balanced on the balanced card (my SE5 has a DHC Fusion cable with TRRS jack and separate TRRS to 3.5 adapter). I also try to match volume approximately.

 

It is not so easy to compare cards unless you have two 901, because it takes time to swap cards and restart the player. So I had to test by paying specific attention to certain aspects of the music, certain passages (for instance, punch and dynamics, bass depth, highs, smoothness of mids, etc.).

 

This is through this (tedious) work that I noticed the sibilance / sharpness of certains voices on the iem card. This is however proper to the SE5, which are quite revealing and unforgiving in the mids. Maybe iems with thicker mids (Fitear for instance) will not have this trait.

post #1988 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 


Thanks! Does that mean X5 measures well with HM901 for classical symphony type music? How about solo recitals piano , violin...and quartest.....

 

I am slowly forming a strange habit of putting well recorded classical or jazz music in my HM901 only..... I will be so glad if X5 measures well and serves as a solid alternative.

Piano notes sound a little sharper and heavier on the 901 to me. Haven't tried violin and quartets, yet..

post #1989 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

My 901 came with balance card installed n I never tried any card.. Is it hard to change card?
Does it have enough room for people to create an opamp rollable card?

Not hard, just a little cumbersome to change.

post #1990 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post
 

Piano notes sound a little sharper and heavier on the 901 to me. Haven't tried violin and quartets, yet..


Yeah, 901 has this mesmerizing quality for instrumental music.. still looking forward to the X5...  for those exFAT microsd card, do I re-format to NTFS for use on X5?

post #1991 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 


Single ended on iem card (of course) but balanced on the balanced card (my SE5 has a DHC Fusion cable with TRRS jack and separate TRRS to 3.5 adapter). I also try to match volume approximately.

 

It is not so easy to compare cards unless you have two 901, because it takes time to swap cards and restart the player. So I had to test by paying specific attention to certain aspects of the music, certain passages (for instance, punch and dynamics, bass depth, highs, smoothness of mids, etc.).

 

This is through this (tedious) work that I noticed the sibilance / sharpness of certains voices on the iem card. This is however proper to the SE5, which are quite revealing and unforgiving in the mids. Maybe iems with thicker mids (Fitear for instance) will not have this trait.

 

Ah I see, thank you!

post #1992 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 


I can agree with that. I used to use 334 with balance card , the sound is a bit too much upfront for my taste.

I would love to try your DHC cable when I next go HK if you wouldn't mind. Travel there quite often.

 

And how did you get a cadence cable? My friend is the owner of Infinity cables. I didn't know the cadence reached out even to HK. Make is good yah? Very meticulous to details. 

post #1993 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco View Post
 

In my case it is noise. I can hear the stepped attentuator clicking when changing the volume. It makes a short click or hiss till it is in it's new position.

 

Man you guys are making me worry. I really don't know which amp card to buy right now :D. I hope I don't end up buying both. If I buy the balanced card i definitely want to go balanced but then I end up buying new cables and adapters. There is no DIY thread to change terminations from se to trrs ? I don't want to buy new cables, changing termination would be enough for me.. 

 

I am still considering the Minibox card though. Pretty impressive specs.....

Terminate to TRRS and get this adaptor from Viablue. There's no extra cables to add another part to the signal line and it sounds as a SE cable would. If you need a DIY-er, drop me a pm. My friend, Fonebone does it but he's in SG so you'll have to wait for it to ship here and back again. 

 

post #1994 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 

Well after letting the iem card burn in for approximately 24 hours and conducting a track by track comparison with my SE5 here are my findings:

 

  • The iem card has as much punch / good dynamics as the balanced card with the SE5. So I doubt it will lack power for any iem.
  • It adds A LITTLE BIT of space / air vs. the balanced card
  • I was wondering why something soudned a bit off / fatiguing with the iem card, and I found out...the mids have a tendancy to become sibilant with the iem card, in quite a significant way

 

 

Overall, I prefer the balanced card with the SE5, mostly because of this sibilance issue. Therefore I will stick to it. I will do the test with my NT6 when they get back from reshell, and maybe with the Roxanne if I ever get them, otherwise the iem card will go on the for sale thread.

Have you tried them with your Fitears? I'm not a Fitear fanboy by any means. I only own one and like another but the sibilant issue didn't occur to me with those IEMs. 

post #1995 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by awry View Post

Have you tried them with your Fitears? I'm not a Fitear fanboy by any means. I only own one and like another but the sibilant issue didn't occur to me with those IEMs. 
I do not have Fitears but I trust you on this. I just tried Fitears demo or borrowed some. Where did you get this Viablue adapter? Do it requite DIY? I like adapters with cable better usually (the same cable as the cable I use it with) but this is really small.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .