or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW . - Page 13

post #181 of 3412

Used mine without Dolby and had a nice PS for home use. Loved it but longevity wasn't it's strong suit.

post #182 of 3412

Hi all.

I ask when we see some review between the new, 901 vs the old, 801.so as to decide,if it is sensible to upgrade.

Theodore.

post #183 of 3412

A few questions for HM-901 owners :-

 

1) is 1.074 the latest firmware?

2) does your HM-901 get really hot whilst on and charging (and I burn your lap level of hot)?

 

Cheers

post #184 of 3412

I am not an owner (yet), but I do keep a close eye on it

 

1) Yes

2) I have seen reports on this (from erji.net) and Fang suggests owners turn off the player when charging

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

A few questions for HM-901 owners :-

 

1) is 1.074 the latest firmware?

2) does your HM-901 get really hot whilst on and charging (and I burn your lap level of hot)?

 

Cheers


Edited by pekingduck - 6/8/13 at 7:25pm
post #185 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post

I am not an owner (yet), but I do keep a close eye on it

 

1) Yes

2) I have seen reports on this (from erji.net) and Fang suggests owners turn off the player when charging

 

For 2), I thought the charging will be automatically cut-off when the battery is fully charged, similar to charging the smartphone.

 

If this is not the case, then safety could be big concern such as battery over-heating due to over-charging and causing explosion. 

post #186 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

A few questions for HM-901 owners :-

1) is 1.074 the latest firmware?
2) does your HM-901 get really hot whilst on and charging (and I burn your lap level of hot)?

Cheers

Note that there are two versions of the 1.074 firmware.

The original one released in May has .cue support but many users reported instability and they suspended it and released a new 1.074 (stable version) last week that removed .cue support.You may want to check if you have .cue support to determine which 1.074 firmware you got.

Charging when powered up will lead to the unit becoming hot but their cs confirmed while it will get hot it will not burn....

Info from erji, also not yet a owner (still on waiting list)... Reading issues in erji really made me less and less excited for it though
Edited by kkcc - 6/8/13 at 8:23pm
post #187 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

I don't know. Are there different types? I ordered my HM-901 2 weeks ago and Fujiya had the option of HM-901, HM-901 with standard amp card, HM-901 with highend amp card (this is balanced). What I still don't understand is what's the difference between HM-901 and HM-901 with standard amp card. I hope it's not something silly like the HM-901 with no amp card! No I didn't ask Fujiya as my Japanese is quite immature.

 

Thanks, AnakChan.

 

Actually that's something i've been trying to find out as well. Since Fujiya has 3 options available, i guess some potential buyers (such as myself) would be very curious as to whether there are more options out there. And if so, how to differentiate (if any) between the older version (originally within China distribution) and international version. Not exactly rocket science though it is a bit of a mystery at this point. confused.gif

 

Ah well, i guess all will be revealed once the international launch is ready. rolleyes.gif

 

In the meantime, would love to have your impressions on the HM-901 in addition to those contributed by Jamato8, Tupac0306 and others. o2smile.gif

post #188 of 3412

So some non-sonic feedback so far. I have some version of 1.074...don't know international or domestic :-

 

1) mp3tags not properly read. Some albums are ok, others are not. All albums are fine on the DX100 & AK100 (same files in fact)

2) This thing gets ridiculously hot during operation. It's to the point that I'm worried the heat will affect the longevity of the battery in the mid/long term. It seems to happen in charging and use mode, as well as just use mode only (main disconnected).

3) a weird system reboot upon power up and trying to browse the Album section. However if I go to the SD Card and browse via folder first, then later go to Album it seems stable thereafter (for the duration of that boot - reboot would reset again).

 

Still burning in before reporting on sonics.

post #189 of 3412
The heat is strange. I dont remember the demo units at the tokyo headphone show. Or fujiya getting hot like that.
Then again my iphone has been getting very very hot last two days- maybe the change in weather? Try the unit in an air conditioned place also.
post #190 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

 

Thanks, AnakChan.

 

Actually that's something i've been trying to find out as well. Since Fujiya has 3 options available, i guess some potential buyers (such as myself) would be very curious as to whether there are more options out there. And if so, how to differentiate (if any) between the older version (originally within China distribution) and international version. Not exactly rocket science though it is a bit of a mystery at this point. confused.gif

 

Ah well, i guess all will be revealed once the international launch is ready. rolleyes.gif

 

In the meantime, would love to have your impressions on the HM-901 in addition to those contributed by Jamato8, Tupac0306 and others. o2smile.gif

Did they (Jamato8, Tupac0306 and others who have tried the actual HM-901) experience any over heating issue when listening to HM-901?

post #191 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

So some non-sonic feedback so far. I have some version of 1.074...don't know international or domestic :-

 

1) mp3tags not properly read. Some albums are ok, others are not. All albums are fine on the DX100 & AK100 (same files in fact)

2) This thing gets ridiculously hot during operation. It's to the point that I'm worried the heat will affect the longevity of the battery in the mid/long term. It seems to happen in charging and use mode, as well as just use mode only (main disconnected).

3) a weird system reboot upon power up and trying to browse the Album section. However if I go to the SD Card and browse via folder first, then later go to Album it seems stable thereafter (for the duration of that boot - reboot would reset again).

 

Still burning in before reporting on sonics.

 

Thanks for the operational feedback.  I'm totally fine with the sound from the one demo session I had "a while" ago but the operational issue I keep reading from erji had made me more and more uncomfortable.  Bad news is that these issues you encountered collaborated with the ones I had read about.  Good news is that you didn't report any new issue I haven't read about.  Well.....


Edited by kkcc - 6/9/13 at 10:14am
post #192 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

 

Thanks, AnakChan.

 

Actually that's something i've been trying to find out as well. Since Fujiya has 3 options available, i guess some potential buyers (such as myself) would be very curious as to whether there are more options out there. And if so, how to differentiate (if any) between the older version (originally within China distribution) and international version. Not exactly rocket science though it is a bit of a mystery at this point. confused.gif

 

Ah well, i guess all will be revealed once the international launch is ready. rolleyes.gif

 

In the meantime, would love to have your impressions on the HM-901 in addition to those contributed by Jamato8, Tupac0306 and others. o2smile.gif

Did they (Jamato8, Tupac0306 and others who have tried the actual HM-901) experience any over heating issue when listening to HM-901?

That is a very silly thing to say, lol. How about spending 1000 $ usd for a DAP and then taking it to the fridge now and again while you listen to cool it down.ha ha

post #193 of 3412
Can some one enlighten me when the HM-901 is actually out in the US? I asked HeadDirect and they said very soon. That was last month.
post #194 of 3412
They have been saying very soon since December if memory serves me!
post #195 of 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

The heat is strange. I dont remember the demo units at the tokyo headphone show. Or fujiya getting hot like that.
Then again my iphone has been getting very very hot last two days- maybe the change in weather? Try the unit in an air conditioned place also.

 

OK I'm listening to the HM-901 in the office right now and without the mains connected it doesn't heat up so much. So looks like it's quite specific to charging & using simultaneously. Dislikes 1) There's a spinning icon on the top right which keeps going on for some time. I assume that's an automatic reindexing like the DX100? If so it's really slow in reindexing my tracks - admittedly I do have a 128GB with approx 1016 tracks (mixture of 16/44.1 -> 24/192). But my HM-901 seems to reboot at random. At first I thought it was when it finished reindexing it'd reboot but upon power up it reindexes again. 2) incomplete mp3tags support means Album is almost unusable to me. I've been preferring Folder access instead 3) I think I actually feel the DX100 UI is faster than the HM-901 (which means the AK100/120 is like a 911GT2RS by comparison, and any Apple iDevice to be like the Veyron). Likes 1) A _VERY_ brief comparison with the DX100 after the HM-901 had a 16 hr burn-in, the soundstage does sound more expansive. I'm not willing to say it's the dual ES9018 or the amp yet. But just "overall implementation" seems to result in that noteable feature over the DX100. Oh yeah, headphones are the Rhapsodio RDB+ v1 with Headphone Lounge Silver/Gold. Also note the HM-901 amp module is the "highend" model (whatever that means).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .