Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.085 . . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.085 . . . . - Page 22

post #316 of 2864
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post


Yep. Cheers Jama. I gave that info to Spkrs01 from our past PM's. thought no harm in sending him the HM-901 to just confirm when he finished making the connector - kinda belt 'n suspenders approach if you get my meaning.

Yes, you are right. Well if other want the wiring sequence they have it. :^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

 

Do you have a brand with the correct construction to share with us....and a linky to 'where-to-buy' would be good, too.

 

Thanks!

I Always test with a strong magnetic because some very, very expensive and prestige companies sell junk for high prices. I bought some RCA's one that were high end and loved the magnetic. For the TRRS that is non ferrous, I don't know. I will find out but just buying them without knowing for sure will mostly get you magnetic TRRS plugs. They most likely work fine but when going to this length to get great sound why compromise?

post #317 of 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

It started off being a loaner :p. No less than 12 hrs later, it's his. However I have just ordered myself another replacement which should come in July.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

And the reason why I was prepared to sell my current and wait till July is 'cos it's mostly related to zachchen1996's question. So I found the pairing between the HM-901 & 1Plus2 to sound quite nice to my ears - a full, wholesome and robust sound closer to what one would get from a desktop DAC/Amp. A year ago I described the same of the DX100 but with the HM-901, I personally felt I had an even larger staging but with the music filling the room. If I choose a single word to describe the SQ, "rich" comes to mind.

 

So I've asked Spkrs01 to make a balanced connector for the Tralucent Uber cable which will take some time. Therefore the HM-901 has gone to him so that he can test the connection wiring for in/out phase and L/R channel connection points. Hopefully Fang hasn't changed the orientation and kept the balancing the same as the HM-801 balanced module. Since he likes what he's heard and I don't need the HM-901 until my balanced Uber cable is ready, he's taken ownership of it. By the time the Uber is done, I should get my 2nd HM-901 with balanced amp module too.

 

 

 

Now! Now!

 

That is quite an exaggeration....I think I emailed you after 5 mins listen at around 2.47 pm to be precise and forced you to sell the 901 to me at 2.58pm.......

 

But had you replied my email earlier....who knows, we may have concluded earliernormal_smile%20.gif

 

Cheers very much again!

post #318 of 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

Now! Now!

That is quite an exaggeration....I think I emailed you after 5 mins listen at around 2.47 pm to be precise and forced you to sell the 901 to me at 2.58pm.......


But had you replied my email earlier....who knows, we may have concluded earlier
normal_smile%20.gif


Cheers very much again!

Congratulations!
Of course you realize your description of the sound may cost me dearly rolleyes.gif
post #319 of 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post


Congratulations!
Of course you realize your description of the sound may cost me dearly rolleyes.gif

 

Revenge is sweet.....your descriptions of the TU-05 cost me dear too, plus there will be a lot of explanation to do when it arrives in 8 weeks with the TU-06 attached.

 

Definitely a deadhorse.gif type of day.............

post #320 of 2864

What is the recommendation for SDcards and does the card need to be reformatted to Fat32?

 

Thanks!

post #321 of 2864
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

What is the recommendation for SDcards and does the card need to be reformatted to Fat32?

 

Thanks!

The 901 accepts SDXC cards. I reformat to Fat32 so all my players can use them. 

post #322 of 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

Revenge is sweet.....your descriptions of the TU-05 cost me dear too, plus there will be a lot of explanation to do when it arrives in 8 weeks with the TU-06 attached.

Definitely a deadhorse.gif
 type of day.............

Honestly, anyone reading that would think I am some sort of enabler wink_face.gif
post #323 of 2864
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post
Honestly, anyone reading that would think I am some sort of enabler wink_face.gif

Enabler or enablee, were all in the asylum together seeking truth, nirvana, and the audio way. 

post #324 of 2864

I prefer keeping my 128GB SDXC in exFAT since I have a bunch of left over 32GB SDHC cards I use with the HM-801.  The 128GB SDXC lives in the HM-901, nice to not have to change cards often at all.

post #325 of 2864

Another thing I tried the Balanced 3.5mm TRRS cable with the HM-901.  And it works quite well.  Quite excellent in fact, and enough volume even for my quieter songs.  Comfortable hearing level is one or two clicks shy of maxing out at High Gain.  It sounds good enough to not even bother with a higher power portable Amp.  I don't think I'll bother with the lower gain Amp Card.  The Treble is not harsh.  Bass is decent too, no clipping or major distortion.  Dare I say it's on par with (if not noticeably better) than the Grace m902 as an amp.  The monstrous full sized EF-6 Amp still has more punch, of course.

I still can't believe how well the HM-901's internal Amp card works with the HE-6 in balanced out.  Simply amazing.

 

One interesting note, Fang has named the Amp card "EF" something, I think it's worthy of the EF series name.

post #326 of 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

I have been listening to my (thanks Sean) 901 for most of the evening with a pair of FitEar 111....and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the sonics of this player!

 

The 901 is probably the only DAP I own that I genuinely feel doesn't require an external amp to help it along. The 901 has an almost SET type tubey sound quality that is so so additivenormal_smile%20.gif.

 

It runs a little hot for comfort, would be my only criticism at the moment!

Can you elaborate more on this? Is it very hot or just warm? Roughly the temperature like (in C degree)?

 

I read other forum about the AK120, it does not feel hot even many hours of listening.
What about DX100 o HDP-R10, are they feeeling hot too after playing for a long time?

 

My main worry is the heat load might cause reliability issue and high temp. might potentially degrade the quality of SMT or even thru-hole components on PCB.


Edited by cyberalpha11 - 6/17/13 at 8:55pm
post #327 of 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post

I prefer keeping my 128GB SDXC in exFAT since I have a bunch of left over 32GB SDHC cards I use with the HM-801.  The 128GB SDXC lives in the HM-901, nice to not have to change cards often at all.

Speaking of that, when I had the HM-801, there was a list of known cards that would work. I assume any Class 10 128GB SDXC card will work, like this one or this one.

I also forgot, how many of these can I have installed? Two? (total of 256GB of memory, that would be great!)
Edited by Trogdor - 6/17/13 at 8:55pm
post #328 of 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

Can you elaborate more on this? Is it very hot or just warm? Roughly the temperature like (in C degree)?

 

I read other forum about the AK120, it does not feel hot even many hours of listening.
What about DX100 o HDP-R10, are they feeeling hot too after playing for a long time?

 

My main worry is the heat load might cause reliability issue and high temp. might potentially degrade the quality of SMT or even thru-hole components on PCB.

 

It is similar to slight warmer than the DX100...which in Hong Kong and walking around town would be a little uncomfortable.......

post #329 of 2864

should i get the balanced card or should i not....

post #330 of 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

It is similar to slight warmer than the DX100...which in Hong Kong and walking around town would be a little uncomfortable.......

 

I put it in a pouch and it got hotter. The side grills are really air vents and shouldn't be blocked (not that there's a fan or anything but passive cooling). I think this DAP warrants a case that's got side openings. Maybe a leather case that's thick enough edges are protected but the side walls themselves opened up for ventilation. Edwood's post has gotten me drooling to get my setup (yet) again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.085 . . . .