Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500 and FiiO E17
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500 and FiiO E17

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hey,

 

I have a pair of HE 400's that I use with an E17.  They're sending me a replacement pair because a speaker went wrong, and I'm thinking about just having them keep them, and if i can, use the replacement as credit towards the 500.

 

I'm thinking about trying to pair the HE-500 and E17 together.  The 500 sounds really nice and I have the funds to get it but not necessarily a new amp.

 

I did some searching around the forums but couldn't find a definitive answer.

 

Can the E17 properly power the He 500?  Obviously it won't compare to a proper full sized amp like the Lyr, but would it at least drive the 500 to levels similar to the 400?

 

If so, I think I'm gonna get the 500.

 

anything helps!

 

Thanks guys

 

j

post #2 of 21

I'd keep the HE-400's. Not ideal to use the HE-500's with a portable amp. 

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 

thanks for the reply.

 

i guess what i'm asking too is would the 500's sound better or worse than the 400s with the e17? because even if they were marginally better I would get them and then work on buying a better home amp later

post #4 of 21

You should ask Jerg. He has both the HE-500 and HE-400 with an E17 I think...

post #5 of 21

I just ordered the HE-500 not too long ago.  I will post impressions with the E17 setup. 

 

If it comes down to needing more power, don't forget that the E09K came out not too long ago. That docks with the E17 for more power and could be a viable amp/dac solution that's still budget conservative. 

post #6 of 21

Also, if you want to use a different amp later, there's always the LOD for the E7/E17

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L7-Line-Dock-Cable/dp/B004QVNS0S/ref=pd_sim_e_3

post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwess View Post

I'd keep the HE-400's. Not ideal to use the HE-500's with a portable amp. 

 

I'd agree with this. I had the e17 for quite a while. It powered the he400 nicely, but struggled with the he500. There is a fairly significant difference between the he500 on the e17 and on a good desktop amp like the lyr. 

post #8 of 21

I might have terrible ears, or maybe I just listen to the wrong music, but I'm getting decent sound out of the E17 and HE-500's.  As well as with the O2 + ODAC (and I've read where some user said he didn't like the HE-500 with the O2+ODAC either... what's going on!?) but I'd say if you're not an audiophile and you enjoy normal modern music then you won't have any issues with the E17 and the HE-500's.

 

Someday I'd love to get a Lyr or a big-time solid state amp and see if it makes a huge difference but for right now I'm happy with my E17 and O2+ODAC and I think I'd end up shelling out big bucks for like a 10% increase in quality of sound or something.

 

I love being able to trust my ears wink.gif

post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac View Post

I might have terrible ears, or maybe I just listen to the wrong music, but I'm getting decent sound out of the E17 and HE-500's.  As well as with the O2 + ODAC (and I've read where some user said he didn't like the HE-500 with the O2+ODAC either... what's going on!?) but I'd say if you're not an audiophile and you enjoy normal modern music then you won't have any issues with the E17 and the HE-500's.

 

Someday I'd love to get a Lyr or a big-time solid state amp and see if it makes a huge difference but for right now I'm happy with my E17 and O2+ODAC and I think I'd end up shelling out big bucks for like a 10% increase in quality of sound or something.

 

I love being able to trust my ears wink.gif


"what's going on!?" 

Maybe because he has dac/amp with better synergy than that combo, which suit his preference better? Audio is not either 1 and 0 you know.

post #10 of 21

I'd take a properly amped HE-400 (something better than the e17) over a HE-500 amped with the e17. I tried it for myself.

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post


"what's going on!?" 

Maybe because he has dac/amp with better synergy than that combo, which suit his preference better? Audio is not either 1 and 0 you know.

 

I know that, I was just saying that I was surprised that he detested the combo, when I found it at least *listenable*.  I'd definitely like a taste of the high end, but I'd also like to express my belief that small budget items like the Fiio E17 and the O2 might not be as horrible as people say they are.

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac View Post

I just ordered the HE-500 not too long ago.  I will post impressions with the E17 setup. 

If it comes down to needing more power, don't forget that the E09K came out not too long ago. That docks with the E17 for more power and could be a viable amp/dac solution that's still budget conservative. 
I have the E9 but not the E9k. It won't be the best cheap option, but it'll be adequate until you can find something a bit better...I'm running it on a Magni and it doesn't disappoint.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post


"what's going on!?" 
Maybe because he has dac/amp with better synergy than that combo, which suit his preference better? Audio is not either 1 and 0 you know.
I ran the HE-500 with the O2 (but not ODAC) and it was the worst of my three amps (E9, O2, and Magni). YMMV.
post #14 of 21
Getting an he500 by mid December. I have the e17 and auditioned the he500 with it. It can get to decent loudness but it sounded thin. Tried the he400 as well. It performed better out of the e17. If you plan on upgrading your amp go straight to the he500.

I actually prefer my current srh940 with the e17 vs the he500 with e17.

So I ordered a modi and magni so at least I can give it 1w when I get my he500.
post #15 of 21
Oh the e09k is also so so with the he500. Could tide you over but if you are getting something just get the magni. Almost the same price anyway with 1.2 w vs..8 or so w from the e09k.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500 and FiiO E17