Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New NOS DAC from Metrum- OCTAVE MK11
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New NOS DAC from Metrum- OCTAVE MK11

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Here is the just released new version of the Octave Mk11, a totally different beast than the original Octave, it seems it more like a Mini Hex  with optional USB input.

 

http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html

post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurus View Post

Here is the just released new version of the Octave Mk11, a totally different beast than the original Octave, it seems it more like a Mini Hex  with optional USB input.

 

http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html


Xpost from the other thread

 

Octave with guaranteed 192hz + Hiface OEM board (and green PCB) in Hex box; 1 transformer instead of 2 small ones. They get rid of some heatsink too; which is understandable since my octave is never past lukewarm.

 

100 Euros extra (compared to the original Octave with guaranteed 192hz) for cherry picked 192hz and hiface oem seems ... reasonable

 

Mk2

 

 

Octave

 

 


Edited by khaine1711 - 3/16/13 at 8:31pm
post #3 of 22

I am sure, many will be happy with it, but funny thing is, less than 2 weeks ago, I wrote to them, asking about USB upgrade in their MK1, but it was not possible and based on my system HEX was mentioned as better canditate.

 

Well, at least they could wrote to me that I should wait a little, as they will be updating their line, but they didnt and now I see this?

 

Thx, but no.

post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post

I am sure, many will be happy with it, but funny thing is, less than 2 weeks ago, I wrote to them, asking about USB upgrade in their MK1, but it was not possible and based on my system HEX was mentioned as better canditate.

 

Well, at least they could wrote to me that I should wait a little, as they will be updating their line, but they didnt and now I see this?

 

Thx, but no.

 

Unfortunately, that's just the way things go today. Something similar happened to me: I called Benchmark a few weeks before the DAC2 was announced, and talked to the sales guy there about asynchronous vs. isosynchronous. He spent a long time explaining to me why asynchronous was a bad solution, why the DAC1 takes a much better approach, etc. I then bought the DAC1 from them (at full price, of course), and a couple weeks later . . . an asynchronous DAC2 is announced. When I called Benchmark and asked if I could trade my DAC1 in for a DAC2, his answer was: sorry, go to audiogon and take a $500 hit, and then buy the new and improved model at full price.

 

I still like the DAC1, but it left such a sour taste in my mouth that I will never own another Benchmark product (I guess expected more from a company like that). Nonetheless, I expect that's just the way things are done today everywhere.

post #5 of 22

Single ended Hex?  Depending on what the NA price is the Octave and a Soloist could be a great small space rig.

post #6 of 22

Like you, I am not going to buy from this Dutch company, no matter how good this "new" version may be. I appreciate and deeply respect companies who are open and honest.

 

I have auditioned Octave in somebody else system and it was nice, but after Audio Note 4.1 was on again, man, just forget it. Like my very good friend says, save some cash and go for the best.

 

THX

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacard View Post

 

Unfortunately, that's just the way things go today. Something similar happened to me: I called Benchmark a few weeks before the DAC2 was announced, and talked to the sales guy there about asynchronous vs. isosynchronous. He spent a long time explaining to me why asynchronous was a bad solution, why the DAC1 takes a much better approach, etc. I then bought the DAC1 from them (at full price, of course), and a couple weeks later . . . an asynchronous DAC2 is announced. When I called Benchmark and asked if I could trade my DAC1 in for a DAC2, his answer was: sorry, go to audiogon and take a $500 hit, and then buy the new and improved model at full price.

 

I still like the DAC1, but it left such a sour taste in my mouth that I will never own another Benchmark product (I guess expected more from a company like that). Nonetheless, I expect that's just the way things are done today everywhere.

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 

Having dealt directly with the Metrum and having bought one their DAC's, I agree the experience was less than stellar. And the person (only one employee/owner at the time)  on the other end was evasive and not forthcoming in his dealings.
 

post #8 of 22

Dosn't seem like many people made the upgrade to the mkII.  Are there any impressions on this DAC?

post #9 of 22

Does anyone know.  

 

If you get the USB module installed in the mkII, does it require power from the PC bus, or does the DAC supply it's own power to the module?

post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Does anyone know.  

 

If you get the USB module installed in the mkII, does it require power from the PC bus, or does the DAC supply it's own power to the module?

It was reported the Hex draws power from its PSU, Octave draws from bus.

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

It was reported the Hex draws power from its PSU, Octave draws from bus.

 

 

Cool, Thanks Para...

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Dosn't seem like many people made the upgrade to the mkII.  Are there any impressions on this DAC?

 

 

 

There are quite of few reviews about it on a'gon. For some reason Metrum is not as popular here as it is elsewhere. Likewise their are Asian brands that are well regarded here but not other boards; Matrix, Youlong, Audio-gd, etc. Seems strange to me. <shrugs>
 


Edited by robertsong - 7/6/13 at 2:27pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

It was reported the Hex draws power from its PSU, Octave draws from bus.

 

That would be a neat trick using the same module are you sure?

post #14 of 22

Nope, I think it's retarded the MKII would draw from bus. This was reported by Khaine who owns it though.

 

So I sent off an inquiry.

 

It is indeed powered by the internal PS. Straight from Metrum.

post #15 of 22

And all is right in the world again :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New NOS DAC from Metrum- OCTAVE MK11