- 8,842 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BDA-2tagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson Audio - Conductor SL 1793 - Headphone Amplifier and DACtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson Audio HA-160Dtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productFiiO E09Ktagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productTeac UDH01-B D/A Converter with USB Audio Interfacetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Yesterday at 7:33 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AudioMinor Impressions Thread Last post on 3/10/15 at 3:19pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Desktop DAC/AMP Combos for the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads? Last post on 9/5/13 at 7:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Did anybody use JPLAY? Did you hear any difference? Last post on 10/28/13 at 6:02am in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Recommendations for USB cables! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My guess is that it wouldn't make much difference, but if RF noise is a factor, it might. It might be worth experimenting and letting us know what you discover.
What would be more likely to make a difference would be to use a non USB external drive so disk activity takes place on a separate bus and doesn't interfere with the communication to the DAC. My external drives are Firewire.
As I said before, I don't understand why USB cables make the difference they do, but the differences they made were not subtle in my systems.
I am not sure it would help, as I think different protocols are used when transferring data and streaming audio. Data is the whole 1s and 0s, while streaming audio introduces timing issues which is where better cables might play a role. That is just extrapolated from various posts from the past. Hopefully this thread won't get spammed now.
You guys are correct. Data transfer is free of timing issues.
This is from Wireworld
There is a fundamental difference between the transfer of computer data and USB crossection
digital audio signals. Computers are able to transfer digital data without loss, because the data moves in the robust form of blocks, which do not depend on specific timing between the sending and receiving devices. However, digital audio signals are continuous streams of data, which are quite fragile, since the digital processor must remain perfectly locked onto the timing of the signal to avoid data losses.
The Limitations of digital audio processors and cables create timing errors known as jitter, which remove portions of the audio signal and replace them with noise and distortion. Cables tend to round off the square waveforms of the signal, making them less clear to the processor, thus increasing jitter. This rounding effect varies greatly among cables and a truly superior digital audio cable can make great improvements in sound quality.
WireWorld digital audio cables utilize unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform.
And in another article: http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft
Edited by Happy Camper - 7/15/13 at 9:07am
Can you really offer scientific proof that a three-foot $75 USB or toslink cable sounds better than a $6.95 USB cable of the same length? This ridiculous and contentious issue gets more drop-ins than the local bar after 4th of July fireworks. If you want to pay substantially more for a cable you claim "is free of timing issues"? its your wallet.
There are excellent quality toslink cables that sound just the same as poorly made toslink cables that fall apart in a few weeks. As guitarists, we know the deal with cables- they are either well-made to spec, with excellent materials and shielding or cheap mass-facture materials that are poorly put together by the manufacturer.
"unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform." Really? I'd rather get an expensive microbrew at my local bar and bypass the glorified eloquence of cable rhetoric.
- Recommendations for USB cables!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › [Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and... 34 seconds ago
- › Marantz Virtual sound vs Dolby Headphone 1 minute ago
- › New HTC One M8 audio review 2 minutes ago
- › Headphone Amplifier – Desktop Valve/Tube 12AU7 2 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 2 minutes ago
- › Seiko is a great watch 2 minutes ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Garage1217 Project Solstice 5 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 6 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 6 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2