- 8,718 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BDA-2tagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson Audio - Conductor SL 1793 - Headphone Amplifier and DACtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson HA-160Dtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productFiiO E09Ktagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productTeac UDH01-B D/A Converter with USB Audio Interfacetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Yesterday at 5:27 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AudioMinor - The Appreciation Thread Last post on 1/30/14 at 9:44pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Desktop DAC/AMP Combos for the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads? Last post on 9/5/13 at 7:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Did anybody use JPLAY? Did you hear any difference? Last post on 10/28/13 at 6:02am in Computer Audio
- Amp/DAC recommendation for T50rp, HD650, DT880, ... Last post on 11/29/12 at 10:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Today
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: Today
Wow...these cans seem to generate a lot of passion! Mr. Tech Agent's review below is a pretty tough act to follow, but I will try. 1st a quote from the literature that comes with the HD 650's:...
Final Audio Adagio III Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/744122/final-audio-adagio-iii-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Oh god,...
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Recommendations for USB cables! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My guess is that it wouldn't make much difference, but if RF noise is a factor, it might. It might be worth experimenting and letting us know what you discover.
What would be more likely to make a difference would be to use a non USB external drive so disk activity takes place on a separate bus and doesn't interfere with the communication to the DAC. My external drives are Firewire.
As I said before, I don't understand why USB cables make the difference they do, but the differences they made were not subtle in my systems.
I am not sure it would help, as I think different protocols are used when transferring data and streaming audio. Data is the whole 1s and 0s, while streaming audio introduces timing issues which is where better cables might play a role. That is just extrapolated from various posts from the past. Hopefully this thread won't get spammed now.
You guys are correct. Data transfer is free of timing issues.
This is from Wireworld
There is a fundamental difference between the transfer of computer data and USB crossection
digital audio signals. Computers are able to transfer digital data without loss, because the data moves in the robust form of blocks, which do not depend on specific timing between the sending and receiving devices. However, digital audio signals are continuous streams of data, which are quite fragile, since the digital processor must remain perfectly locked onto the timing of the signal to avoid data losses.
The Limitations of digital audio processors and cables create timing errors known as jitter, which remove portions of the audio signal and replace them with noise and distortion. Cables tend to round off the square waveforms of the signal, making them less clear to the processor, thus increasing jitter. This rounding effect varies greatly among cables and a truly superior digital audio cable can make great improvements in sound quality.
WireWorld digital audio cables utilize unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform.
And in another article: http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft
Edited by Happy Camper - 7/15/13 at 9:07am
Can you really offer scientific proof that a three-foot $75 USB or toslink cable sounds better than a $6.95 USB cable of the same length? This ridiculous and contentious issue gets more drop-ins than the local bar after 4th of July fireworks. If you want to pay substantially more for a cable you claim "is free of timing issues"? its your wallet.
There are excellent quality toslink cables that sound just the same as poorly made toslink cables that fall apart in a few weeks. As guitarists, we know the deal with cables- they are either well-made to spec, with excellent materials and shielding or cheap mass-facture materials that are poorly put together by the manufacturer.
"unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform." Really? I'd rather get an expensive microbrew at my local bar and bypass the glorified eloquence of cable rhetoric.
- Recommendations for USB cables!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Winter 2015 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 4 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Looking for Headphones up-to 100$ 1 minute ago
- › V-Moda Crossfade LP 1 minute ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? ( updated on 7/11/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)