- 8,710 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BDA-2tagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson Audio - Conductor SL 1793 - Headphone Amplifier and DACtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson HA-160Dtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productFiiO E09Ktagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productTeac UDH01-B D/A Converter with USB Audio Interfacetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 9:20 am in Headphones (full-size)
- AudioMinor - The Appreciation Thread Last post on 1/30/14 at 9:44pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Desktop DAC/AMP Combos for the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads? Last post on 9/5/13 at 7:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Did anybody use JPLAY? Did you hear any difference? Last post on 10/28/13 at 6:02am in Computer Audio
- Amp/DAC recommendation for T50rp, HD650, DT880, ... Last post on 11/29/12 at 10:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Compared to Fiio x3, there is no big differences in terms of sound to me. One thing X3 wins, is better bass response with my ES10 headphones. At first i missed sound of my Fiio X3, but i got use to...
I bought these to replace my dead Klipsch Image S2-ii after reading many reviews, because I wanted to try something else in the 60-70$ price range for use with my Sansa Clip Zip, and was very...
A big thanks to Drew and every one at Moon Audio, they handled the sale of this new unit to me and...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Recommendations for USB cables! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My guess is that it wouldn't make much difference, but if RF noise is a factor, it might. It might be worth experimenting and letting us know what you discover.
What would be more likely to make a difference would be to use a non USB external drive so disk activity takes place on a separate bus and doesn't interfere with the communication to the DAC. My external drives are Firewire.
As I said before, I don't understand why USB cables make the difference they do, but the differences they made were not subtle in my systems.
I am not sure it would help, as I think different protocols are used when transferring data and streaming audio. Data is the whole 1s and 0s, while streaming audio introduces timing issues which is where better cables might play a role. That is just extrapolated from various posts from the past. Hopefully this thread won't get spammed now.
You guys are correct. Data transfer is free of timing issues.
This is from Wireworld
There is a fundamental difference between the transfer of computer data and USB crossection
digital audio signals. Computers are able to transfer digital data without loss, because the data moves in the robust form of blocks, which do not depend on specific timing between the sending and receiving devices. However, digital audio signals are continuous streams of data, which are quite fragile, since the digital processor must remain perfectly locked onto the timing of the signal to avoid data losses.
The Limitations of digital audio processors and cables create timing errors known as jitter, which remove portions of the audio signal and replace them with noise and distortion. Cables tend to round off the square waveforms of the signal, making them less clear to the processor, thus increasing jitter. This rounding effect varies greatly among cables and a truly superior digital audio cable can make great improvements in sound quality.
WireWorld digital audio cables utilize unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform.
And in another article: http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft
Edited by Happy Camper - 7/15/13 at 9:07am
Can you really offer scientific proof that a three-foot $75 USB or toslink cable sounds better than a $6.95 USB cable of the same length? This ridiculous and contentious issue gets more drop-ins than the local bar after 4th of July fireworks. If you want to pay substantially more for a cable you claim "is free of timing issues"? its your wallet.
There are excellent quality toslink cables that sound just the same as poorly made toslink cables that fall apart in a few weeks. As guitarists, we know the deal with cables- they are either well-made to spec, with excellent materials and shielding or cheap mass-facture materials that are poorly put together by the manufacturer.
"unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform." Really? I'd rather get an expensive microbrew at my local bar and bypass the glorified eloquence of cable rhetoric.
- Recommendations for USB cables!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Great iem,s for electric guitar based music and blues 32 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › Lcd's and unlistenable cd's 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 5 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 7 minutes ago
- › Need help starting thread at other sections\forums 7 minutes ago
- › Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ! 7 minutes ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 9 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones by vincik
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by vincik
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Frank I
- › Viva Egoista Amplifier by Frank I
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by Mshenay
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)