- 8,916 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Limbo
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BDA-2tagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson Audio - Conductor SL 1793 - Headphone Amplifier and DACtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson Audio HA-160Dtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productFiiO E09Ktagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productTeac UDH01-B D/A Converter with USB Audio Interfacetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
- AudioMinor Impressions Thread Last post on 9/3/15 at 11:49am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Desktop DAC/AMP Combos for the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads? Last post on 9/5/13 at 7:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Did anybody use JPLAY? Did you hear any difference? Last post on 10/28/13 at 6:02am in Computer Audio
- Need advice. Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
Many thanks to Venture Electronics for the VE Monk review sample! Product website: http://eng.52ve.cn/product.php?cm_id=205 I haven't been using earbud for quite a long time since my...
INTRODUCTION: The Havit H91DJ is a budget over-ear headphone with a warm signature. Sound quality is very impressive considering the low cost. The value of these headphones is quite high,...
Intro: SoundFoundations, is a company which manufactures accessories like racks, stands, and vibration control & custom cables. It is based in India. SoundFoundations is known in India for...
Introduction I would like to start this review off by saying thank you to the folks at Pro-Ject Audio systems for lending me a pair of their brand new Hear-it-One headphones....
Preamble: Before I start with my review, I’d like to thank Vivian from DUNU-Topsound for providing me with a sample of the DN-2000J for my evaluation. My review reflects my actual honest opinion...
Recommendations for USB cables! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My guess is that it wouldn't make much difference, but if RF noise is a factor, it might. It might be worth experimenting and letting us know what you discover.
What would be more likely to make a difference would be to use a non USB external drive so disk activity takes place on a separate bus and doesn't interfere with the communication to the DAC. My external drives are Firewire.
As I said before, I don't understand why USB cables make the difference they do, but the differences they made were not subtle in my systems.
I am not sure it would help, as I think different protocols are used when transferring data and streaming audio. Data is the whole 1s and 0s, while streaming audio introduces timing issues which is where better cables might play a role. That is just extrapolated from various posts from the past. Hopefully this thread won't get spammed now.
You guys are correct. Data transfer is free of timing issues.
This is from Wireworld
There is a fundamental difference between the transfer of computer data and USB crossection
digital audio signals. Computers are able to transfer digital data without loss, because the data moves in the robust form of blocks, which do not depend on specific timing between the sending and receiving devices. However, digital audio signals are continuous streams of data, which are quite fragile, since the digital processor must remain perfectly locked onto the timing of the signal to avoid data losses.
The Limitations of digital audio processors and cables create timing errors known as jitter, which remove portions of the audio signal and replace them with noise and distortion. Cables tend to round off the square waveforms of the signal, making them less clear to the processor, thus increasing jitter. This rounding effect varies greatly among cables and a truly superior digital audio cable can make great improvements in sound quality.
WireWorld digital audio cables utilize unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform.
And in another article: http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft
Edited by Happy Camper - 7/15/13 at 9:07am
Can you really offer scientific proof that a three-foot $75 USB or toslink cable sounds better than a $6.95 USB cable of the same length? This ridiculous and contentious issue gets more drop-ins than the local bar after 4th of July fireworks. If you want to pay substantially more for a cable you claim "is free of timing issues"? its your wallet.
There are excellent quality toslink cables that sound just the same as poorly made toslink cables that fall apart in a few weeks. As guitarists, we know the deal with cables- they are either well-made to spec, with excellent materials and shielding or cheap mass-facture materials that are poorly put together by the manufacturer.
"unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform." Really? I'd rather get an expensive microbrew at my local bar and bypass the glorified eloquence of cable rhetoric.
- Recommendations for USB cables!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Geek Wave backers: Customer Happiness Survey (from a fellow backer) 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Hiii Head-Fiers! Glad to Join the Community! 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › DUNU DN-2000J by HiFiChris
- › MEElectronics A151 2nd Generation by HiFiChris
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by hakushondaimao
- › Creative T4W 2.1 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System by BloodyPenguin
- › G430 Gaming Headset by themastercheif
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by themastercheif
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2