- 8,451 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Greater Cincinnati area
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BDA-2tagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson Audio - Conductor SL 1793 - Headphone Amplifier and DACtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productBurson HA-160Dtagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productFiiO E09Ktagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
- productTeac UDH01-B D/A Converter with USB Audio Interfacetagged by dbsaffor, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- AudioMinor - The Appreciation Thread Last post on 1/30/14 at 9:44pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Desktop DAC/AMP Combos for the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads? Last post on 9/5/13 at 7:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Did anybody use JPLAY? Did you hear any difference? Last post on 10/28/13 at 6:02am in Computer Audio
- Amp/DAC recommendation for T50rp, HD650, DT880, ... Last post on 11/29/12 at 10:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- please help me decide on new amp (and maybe dac) for my new LCD3's Last post on 12/29/12 at 11:02pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
Recommendations for USB cables! - Page 2post #16 of 247/10/13 at 8:29pmMy question is if it helps from the computer to the DAC, shouldn't you also use one from your external hard drive to the computer?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 247/10/13 at 9:56pm
My guess is that it wouldn't make much difference, but if RF noise is a factor, it might. It might be worth experimenting and letting us know what you discover.
What would be more likely to make a difference would be to use a non USB external drive so disk activity takes place on a separate bus and doesn't interfere with the communication to the DAC. My external drives are Firewire.
As I said before, I don't understand why USB cables make the difference they do, but the differences they made were not subtle in my systems.post #18 of 247/11/13 at 5:23amQuote:
I am not sure it would help, as I think different protocols are used when transferring data and streaming audio. Data is the whole 1s and 0s, while streaming audio introduces timing issues which is where better cables might play a role. That is just extrapolated from various posts from the past. Hopefully this thread won't get spammed now.post #19 of 247/11/13 at 6:13pmhttp://www.wireworldcable.com/categories/usb_cables.html
You guys are correct. Data transfer is free of timing issues.
This is from Wireworld
There is a fundamental difference between the transfer of computer data and USB crossection
digital audio signals. Computers are able to transfer digital data without loss, because the data moves in the robust form of blocks, which do not depend on specific timing between the sending and receiving devices. However, digital audio signals are continuous streams of data, which are quite fragile, since the digital processor must remain perfectly locked onto the timing of the signal to avoid data losses.
The Limitations of digital audio processors and cables create timing errors known as jitter, which remove portions of the audio signal and replace them with noise and distortion. Cables tend to round off the square waveforms of the signal, making them less clear to the processor, thus increasing jitter. This rounding effect varies greatly among cables and a truly superior digital audio cable can make great improvements in sound quality.
WireWorld digital audio cables utilize unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform.
And in another article: http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft
Edited by Happy Camper - 7/15/13 at 9:07ampost #20 of 247/16/13 at 4:02am
Can you really offer scientific proof that a three-foot $75 USB or toslink cable sounds better than a $6.95 USB cable of the same length? This ridiculous and contentious issue gets more drop-ins than the local bar after 4th of July fireworks. If you want to pay substantially more for a cable you claim "is free of timing issues"? its your wallet.
There are excellent quality toslink cables that sound just the same as poorly made toslink cables that fall apart in a few weeks. As guitarists, we know the deal with cables- they are either well-made to spec, with excellent materials and shielding or cheap mass-facture materials that are poorly put together by the manufacturer.
"unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform." Really? I'd rather get an expensive microbrew at my local bar and bypass the glorified eloquence of cable rhetoric.post #21 of 247/16/13 at 5:59amYet you took the time to drop in a zing in a subjective thread about scientific proof? I'll not retort your bait sir. Now if you were buying said microbrew, I'd be inclined to offer some banter on the subject.post #22 of 247/16/13 at 1:43pmpost #23 of 247/17/13 at 1:21amReturn Home
- Recommendations for USB cables!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 54 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 56 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: June 28th, 2013) 58 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Question about tips and earhole damage 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › Clip Zip 'Sport' 16Gb ? 3 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude