Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread - Page 43

post #631 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPDJ View Post

OPR8R,

 

 

 

Does this mean that you have kept it ON or OFF since the first day? Also, which headphone outputs are you using?

I keep Old Lucid turned ON (and New Lucid OFF).

 

To my ears, the new mode sounds unnatural with most of the music to which I listen: like I'm always in a cathedral, except there's no echo.  The old mode sounds more or less natural.  For the last day or so, I've been using 4-pin XLR connector, but I thought old mode was the way to go with the single-ended connector as well.  It seems like a few people who have recently received their Taboo 3 prefer the new mode though, so take that with a grain of salt. bigsmile_face.gif

post #632 of 1872

I just realized I hadn't really spent any time with Lucid mode settings with the balanced cable.  When I got my cable back from Steve (Eddy) I just plugged it in and went.  It sounded the way I expected, more open and detailed than the stock cable so I just kept listening, never touching the Lucid switches.

 

I fiddled with Lucid modes for a few minutes, a few minutes ago.  It might be that a balanced cable (4-pin XLR) opens the soundstage of the Taboo to the point of sounding like the old Lucid mode, even with it in the off position.  New Lucid mode isn't as unnatural sounding, though I still prefer the sound of the old mode. I need to spend more than 5 hurried minutes, but I was a bit surprised by what I heard in my 5 minute experiment.


Edited by OPR8R - 5/20/13 at 10:30am
post #633 of 1872
I've ordered audezes balanced cable as a quick fix till I get my toxic cable.

II really want to enjoy the taboo without the lucid modes before I experiment with them.
post #634 of 1872
Argh I'm really tempted to order one of these while the 200 USD discount is still going. I even have permission from my gf! I'm just dreading the long wait and the killer import taxes...

Does anyone have experience with it and the HE-500?
post #635 of 1872

I have not heard of anyone with a Taboo MK III owing the HE-500's yet. However, at 38 ohms, the HE-500 should match nicely with the Taboo. Remember it was designed with Planer's in mind.

post #636 of 1872

Yep that's what I'm hoping!  And if it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to buy myself an LCD-3.  ;)

post #637 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

Yep that's what I'm hoping!  And if it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to buy myself an LCD-3.  ;)

 

My theory is a really good amplifier that's tuned to be neutral should work well with any heapdhones. The advantage of a tube amp is that you can fine tune it to your sound preference with non-stock tubes.  I am still weeks away from confirming this with the Taboo though. :)

post #638 of 1872

Ok so one more potentially silly question.  I have some decent (not expensive) little Monitor Audio BX2 speakers that are 90db (and 8 ohms).  Decware recommend 94db or higher, at least for 'large listening rooms'.  Considering that I won't ever need to play loud, do you folks think that the Taboo will play nicely with my speakers?

 

LOL I almost finalised my order today but then got scared.  My poor bank account...

post #639 of 1872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

Ok so one more potentially silly question.  I have some decent (not expensive) little Monitor Audio BX2 speakers that are 90db (and 8 ohms).  Decware recommend 94db or higher, at least for 'large listening rooms'.  Considering that I won't ever need to play loud, do you folks think that the Taboo will play nicely with my speakers?

 

LOL I almost finalised my order today but then got scared.  My poor bank account...

It played the 88DB Polks but not loud. I would recommend 94DB speakers for it to work properly. If you have a large room a 90DB speaker will not get loud at the Mk111 maxed out. I will be reviewing the Omega 3T with the Mk111. 

post #640 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

Yep that's what I'm hoping!  And if it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to buy myself an LCD-3.  ;)

Get them anyway to pair with the Taboo IMHO you won't be sorry L3000.gif

post #641 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

Argh I'm really tempted to order one of these while the 200 USD discount is still going. I even have permission from my gf! I'm just dreading the long wait and the killer import taxes...

Does anyone have experience with it and the HE-500?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

I have not heard of anyone with a Taboo MK III owing the HE-500's yet. However, at 38 ohms, the HE-500 should match nicely with the Taboo. Remember it was designed with Planer's in mind.

I have the HE500's and have listened a little with it.  There is an issue with lucid mode turned off with a weird ringing.  It seems to work just fine with old and new mode turned on.  I have been mostly listening to my HD800's, though.  I will try to get some more time with the HE500's and see what I think.

post #642 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

 

I have the HE500's and have listened a little with it.  There is an issue with lucid mode turned off with a weird ringing.  It seems to work just fine with old and new mode turned on.  I have been mostly listening to my HD800's, though.  I will try to get some more time with the HE500's and see what I think.

 

Is it quite normal the Taboo is a bit fiddly like that, as it seems there's a bit of confusion regarding wiring, switches, artifacts etc?

Does it at least work properly when both Lucid modes are off?


Edited by negura - 5/21/13 at 5:19pm
post #643 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post

 

Is it quite normal the Taboo is a bit fiddly like that, as it seems there's a bit of confusion regarding wiring, switches, artifacts etc?

Does it at least work properly when both Lucid modes are off?

No, with both switches off is when I get the weird ringing at medium level, it goes away with either or both switches turned on.

I prefer to have old lucid mode on, so it is not a huge issue.  I also am finding that I would listen at a lower level than when the noise starts, too.  So again, it is not a huge issue.


Edited by bearFNF - 5/21/13 at 5:41pm
post #644 of 1872

So, I've casually been looking for tubes to roll. I'm finding the nicer 6922 variants to be a bit pricey.  Like, I want to try one of those Amperex PQ's but they can be like $175 each!  Anyone have/try one of these?

post #645 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post

 

Is it quite normal the Taboo is a bit fiddly like that, as it seems there's a bit of confusion regarding wiring, switches, artifacts etc?

Does it at least work properly when both Lucid modes are off?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

No, with both switches off is when I get the weird ringing at medium level, it goes away with either or both switches turned on.

I prefer to have old lucid mode on, so it is not a huge issue.  I also am finding that I would listen at a lower level than when the noise starts, too.  So again, it is not a huge issue.

Have you contacted Decware about the ringing? I'm getting a little anxious about the amp being 'fiddly'.

 

I wonder if Steve or a rep from Decware monitor this thread? It would be really helpful for Q&As like in some of the other threads on HF.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread