Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 1838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeni View Post

Thanks for the impressions.

 

So the new Mk III is priced at $1,695 and the improvement of Mk III over Mk II is small, I guess at this price level of $1,695 there are pretty much choices that one should also consider ?

If I owned the original Taboo I would not sell it to buy the MK111 personally. I I think the new one is better with the soundstage and has wider instrument separation but for some those differences may not be small and if you read my review on the original taboo I thought and still think its a stellar performer. If you don't own the taboo then its an easy call. I think David can answer those questions better than I as he still owns the original Taboo .

post #17 of 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

I would really like to hear this amp with my HE-500. Lucid mode intrigues me and there's a certain unquantifiable romance (lust?) I feel for this amp.

How do you link a csp2+ to a Taboo and how is this not 'double amping'?

Edited to add:

I read in the other thread that balanced out was necessary for the original lucid mode. I a balanced cable still required for lucid mode?

The CSP2+ is a preamp first.  It's no different than hooking up a preamp to a power amp in a speaker system.

post #18 of 1838
Thread Starter 

Lucid mode switch works both balanced and unbalanced so if your running a single ended headphone like I do with the At3000anv it will work fine

post #19 of 1838

It worked for me with the HD800's in SE.

post #20 of 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

Edited to add:

I read in the other thread that balanced out was necessary for the original lucid mode. I a balanced cable still required for lucid mode?

 

I may stand corrected but AFAIK (and hear) lucid mode fully operates with the previous Taboo model(s).

 

When Steve Deckert announced the new Taboo (in the Decware forum), one of his motivations was he considered lucid mode compromised through the headphone jack as compared to what Taboo does with speakers. In his view, the new design makes lucid mode work just as well for headphones.

 

Not having heard the new model, I'll let Frank and the others comment how well this has worked out - and whether it works with SE or only through the balanced jacks.

 

Edit: oops I see Eric and Frank got there before me, and with the full story.

 

Frank, great notes already and looking forward to the full review obviously (take your time - no pressure lol).


Edited by AiDee - 3/16/13 at 4:14pm
post #21 of 1838

Nice photos and looking forward to more impressions of this great looking amp! 

 

How where the LCD-3s with the Taboo MKIII?

post #22 of 1838

Guys, has anyone here tied the MKIIII with speakers ? I'm guessing something 90dB or higher, mild impedance curve ? 

 

Thanks,

 

estreeter

post #23 of 1838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Nice photos and looking forward to more impressions of this great looking amp! 

 

How where the LCD-3s with the Taboo MKIII?

They worked well with the MK111 and David can give more insight with that headphone sounded good with the lcd3.  We used the lcd2,2 for most comparison as we had two of them . Good match IMO

post #24 of 1838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

Guys, has anyone here tied the MKIIII with speakers ? I'm guessing something 90dB or higher, mild impedance curve ? 

 

Thanks,

 

estreeter

I have not heard them but I believe Eric did at the decware visit.

post #25 of 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

They worked well with the MK111 and David can give more insight with that headphone sounded good with the lcd3.  We used the lcd2,2 for most comparison as we had two of them . Good match IMO

Cool, thanks Frank.
post #26 of 1838

Thanks Frank - I promise to check out the Decware forum when I get a chance !  biggrin.gif

post #27 of 1838
Subscribed! Can't wait to hear full reviews.

One thing Longbow pointed out is that the MK3 is not too much more than an MK2 due to all the upgrades being standard on the MK3.

I just pulled the trigger, because to my humble eyes there is not one better looking headphone amp on the Market. It sounds pretty good too :-)

I had been eyeing the white MK2 for some time and always thought it was stunning. The MK3 turns it up to 11!!!
post #28 of 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmantx View Post

Subscribed! Can't wait to hear full reviews.

One thing Longbow pointed out is that the MK3 is not too much more than an MK2 due to all the upgrades being standard on the MK3.

I just pulled the trigger, because to my humble eyes there is not one better looking headphone amp on the Market. It sounds pretty good too :-)

I had been eyeing the white MK2 for some time and always thought it was stunning. The MK3 turns it up to 11!!!
Yes! The white/black is stunning!
post #29 of 1838

The LCD-3s sounded excellent with the Taboo MKIII.  I own the prior version of the Taboo and agree with Frank that the new Taboo has a slightly wider soundstage and some additional detail.  If you like the LCD-series with the older Taboo then you will certainly like it with the MKIII.  

post #30 of 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

The LCD-3s sounded excellent with the Taboo MKIII.  I own the prior version of the Taboo and agree with Frank that the new Taboo has a slightly wider soundstage and some additional detail.  If you like the LCD-series with the older Taboo then you will certainly like it with the MKIII.  

Good to hear. Thanks for the confirmation Dave.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread