So I've been lurking on this site for about a two years, and you guys helped me make my first jump into head-fi (my ears say thanks, but my brain and wallet don't, haha). I purchased Klipsch Image S4's a couple of summers ago and I've been pretty pleased with them. Now, I am looking to get a good pair of cans that satisfy my needs. I tried searching the forums for my specific music tastes, but I was unable to find a lot of good information. That said, I have narrowed down my search to the point where I am leaning towards getting the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s or Sennheiser HD598's, but my music tastes, and what others have been saying has me a bit worried.
- Metalcore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzzytL47AxI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9fqj9rI31k
- Post-Hardcore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeWsSM584h0
Budget: $150-200 USD
What I Am Looking For:
- A little emphasis towards bass for breakdowns and such, but still clear and not muddling of the rest of the music.
- Preferably closed headphones, but fully willing to get open. I just want the best sound.
- Used mostly for use on itunes (ALAC/256 AAC) and Spotify. Potential use for portable, but I still have my S4's if I don't want to use them on the go.
- I've heard that a lot of metal, especially modern metal, is not recorded especially well, and that getting into upper-echelon headphones will actually make it sound worse.
- Underwhelming bass. I've heard varying reports about the M50s and HD598's. Some say each has plentiful bass, others say underwhelming.
I'm completely open to suggestions, and don't let my budget hold you back. Feel free to go above or below, as well as offering suggestions for amps or amp/dac combos. Any help is much appreciated.