or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones with THE biggest bass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones with THE biggest bass - Page 3

post #31 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Happily, they aren't quite that expensive. You are probably looking at the Signature Pros. The Signature DJ's cost 300 bucks less and have larger drivers for improved Bass response. I paid $999.00 at BH Photo. 

Yeah, I was looking at the SDJ on amazon, where they cost $1184. BH seems to have a better deal for them at just under a grand. Btw, any portable amp recommendations for this headphone?
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post


Yeah, I was looking at the SDJ on amazon, where they cost $1184. BH seems to have a better deal for them at just under a grand. Btw, any portable amp recommendations for this headphone?

They have a pretty high efficiency spec. Something like 116 dB (compared to say and HE500 with 89 dB) so it won't take much to drive them @ 32 ohms. My portable rig is a simple FiiO E17 and it was able to drive my HE400s and 500s to fairly respectable levels and it's got Balance, Treble and Bass controls as well.

 

It's a nice little unit for about 135 bucks on Amazon. Lots of people like them. There are more powerful brands out there for more money that people also really like, but I've been happy with my FiiO. They aren't considered the "best" though. Just the best value. I think it sounds great for what it is. 

post #33 of 91
Thread Starter 
Do you think my FiiO E6 will drive them well enough? It just seems so weird, using 1000 dollar headphones with a 30 dollar amp. Also, do you think that 320kbs mp3s will do these babies justice? I don't know if it's something wrong with my hearing, but I can't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC :P
post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post

Do you think my FiiO E6 will drive them well enough? It just seems so weird, using 1000 dollar headphones with a 30 dollar amp. Also, do you think that 320kbs mp3s will do these babies justice? I don't know if it's something wrong with my hearing, but I can't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC :P

I use 256k so I think you know my answer to that. As far as the Amp goes, if you want to go portable, you get what you get. Unless you spend a lot, you won't get much power.  That Modi (or is it Magni?) from Schiit puts out 1.5 wpc and it's under a hundred bucks. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a decent Amp. In the mean time that E6 should get you enough power for decent listening levels. It's got 150 mW @ 300 ohm which is about the same power as the Icon Ido Desktop model. It's enough to get you going. 


Edited by bareyb - 3/17/13 at 10:28pm
post #35 of 91
Thread Starter 

Thanks a lot man, really looking forward to the Signature DJ L3000.gif
 

post #36 of 91

I would recommend the Denon D2000.

post #37 of 91

Sony mdr-xb700. I think it was the 700 I tested. You won't get dissapointed if you want bassy cans.

post #38 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

I would recommend the Denon D2000.

 

The cheapest D2000 I can find is around $450, which I believe is more than they originally retailed for. Besides, I found a Head-Fier who will sell me the Ultrasone Signature DJ for $775, and I'm not about to pass that up. See you guys on the other side of sanity with my 1000 dollar headphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojamm View Post

Sony mdr-xb700. I think it was the 700 I tested. You won't get dissapointed if you want bassy cans.


I also listened to the XB700 at a Sony store, and found the mids to be too veiled, and that it had a little bit too much of a bass bloat.

post #39 of 91
Thread Starter 

Hey Guys, do you think that these are legit Signature DJs? I find the price a little too good to be true

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Ultrasone-Signature-DJ-Headphones-p/signature-dj.htm
 

post #40 of 91

They'll only give you store credit for returns, I wouldn't buy from them.

post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post
Thanks a lot man, really looking forward to the Signature DJ L3000.gif

 

$1000 is a lot to spend on headphones you've never heard, how do you know if you'll like the Ultrasone sound signature? How do you know these will sound better than the HFI-780 or even the HFI-580 which might be a better fit for you...

post #42 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

 

$1000 is a lot to spend on headphones you've never heard, how do you know if you'll like the Ultrasone sound signature? How do you know these will sound better than the HFI-780 or even the HFI-580 which might be a better fit for you...

Yeah, after reading up on the SigDJ (there's only one review on head-fi confused.gif) I think that they don't have the more commanding bass prescence of other heapdhones. Do you know anything that has a really nice bass that still retains a high level of detail all throught the spectrum? 

post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post

Yeah, after reading up on the SigDJ (there's only one review on head-fi confused.gif) I think that they don't have the more commanding bass prescence of other heapdhones. Do you know anything that has a really nice bass that still retains a high level of detail all throught the spectrum? 

 

As I mentioned previously good bass is cheap.

 
Think of it like this... the more bass a headphone has the less you will be able to hear the mids and highs, in other words a lot of the details is missed because the bass is pouring over.
 
When listening to headphones you achieve your desired listening volume based on the peaks, this is usually gauged from the treble. The exception to this is when the bass is so ridiculous its louder than the rest of the spectrum, for example the Sony XB500.
 
 

 

 
So with this in mind the question becomes how much bass are you looking for when you say 'Headphones with THE biggest bass'. The chances are you don't want the 'biggest bass' but a comfortable level of bass and as a result you can hear more of the highs and mids.
 
To address this headphones like the Ultrasone HFI-780, Ultrasone PRO900, Denon D2000 etc are generally recommended because they have good bass (above neutral) but not too much so that it pours over. The SigDJ will also fall somewhere in this 'above neutral bass' category. A cheaper headphone, the Ultrasone HFI-580 has more bass then the HFI-780 and despite it's lower number (and price once upon a time) people looking for more bass prefer this phone. This can be seen everywhere on head-fi, people prefer the cheaper D5000 to the D7000 because it has more bass. Perhaps it would be a fair assumption to say the cleaner/accurate the headphone the more it will cost. Without reiterating a thousand times good bass is cheap.
 
My advice would be to start with something reasonably priced and start hearing for yourself what sounds good to you. I've been here a number of years now and while I do enjoy reading headphone reviews they are 100% subjective to the listener, and we all have different tastes and hearing!
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post

Hey Guys, do you think that these are legit Signature DJs? I find the price a little too good to be true

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Ultrasone-Signature-DJ-Headphones-p/signature-dj.htm
 

If you notice, they are out of stock. Ultrasone pulled the product from their stores some time ago because they were heavily discounting it. I don't expect them to ever have it back in stock. Not sure why they continue to leave the old listing up. 

 

Side Note: BH Photo is a legit seller and has a 30 day return policy. I would never buy a headphone this expensive without knowing for sure that I could return it if it didn't suit my needs. Amazon is a good way to try some of the cheaper models without any hassles returning them. Just make sure the seller is Amazon and not one of their Market Place vendors. They have most of the Cans recommended in this thread. 

post #45 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

As I mentioned previously good bass is cheap.

 
Think of it like this... the more bass a headphone has the less you will be able to hear the mids and highs, in other words a lot of the details is missed because the bass is pouring over.
 
When listening to headphones you achieve your desired listening volume based on the peaks, this is usually gauged from the treble. The exception to this is when the bass is so ridiculous its louder than the rest of the spectrum, for example the Sony XB500.
 
 




 
So with this in mind the question becomes how much bass are you looking for when you say 'Headphones with THE biggest bass'. The chances are you don't want the 'biggest bass' but a comfortable level of bass and as a result you can hear more of the highs and mids.
 
To address this headphones like the Ultrasone HFI-780, Ultrasone PRO900, Denon D2000 etc are generally recommended because they have good bass (above neutral) but not too much so that it pours over. The SigDJ will also fall somewhere in this 'above neutral bass' category. A cheaper headphone, the Ultrasone HFI-580 has more bass then the HFI-780 and despite it's lower number (and price once upon a time) people looking for more bass prefer this phone. This can be seen everywhere on head-fi, people prefer the cheaper D5000 to the D7000 because it has more bass. Perhaps it would be a fair assumption to say the cleaner/accurate the headphone the more it will cost. Without reiterating a thousand times good bass is cheap.
 
My advice would be to start with something reasonably priced and start hearing for yourself what sounds good to you. I've been here a number of years now and while I do enjoy reading headphone reviews they are 100% subjective to the listener, and we all have different tastes and hearing!
I am looking for a headphone with bass that kicks HARD when needed, for stuff like this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk6ecO5ijnQ, but maintaining clear mids and highs for stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsh1l9bjLLw this https://soundcloud.com/igamusic/zedd-ft-foxes-clarity-zedd and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqOs8n6KdA 


In other words, I'm not just looking for hard bass, but a great overall audio experience complimented by great bass. For a little bit of background, I previously owned the VModa M80, which I got rid of because they did not have enough bass.


Any suggestions? 
Edited by Luv My BASS 1 - 3/18/13 at 2:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones with THE biggest bass