My PCStep arrived yesturday! Thanks again to Dr. Meier for this fantastic deal. This is my first Meier Audio product by the way.
- Build quality is absolutely fantastic. This cannot break and I feel confident throwing this into my backpack! No special care needed at all. No plastic even in the battery backplate.
- I fully agree with FlySweep´s comments. Amazing for such a little box. I could actually be happy using this as my desktop source with IEMs. It´s a clear step over iPods, smartphones and PC soundcards.
- The DAC (I´d guess the amp part is wire with gain style) has a warmish punchy tone that pairs well with slightly bright dynamic headphones, in other words most portables. This is the typical Burr-Brown sound signature.
- I can also confirm it works perfectly, plug & play with the Galaxy S3 with an USB OTG cable. Even without batteries in full USB powered mode.
- Overall sound signature is clean, controlled and balanced with a low noise floor. Running out of USB mode, in low gain mode there is no hiss up to 90% of the volume control with very sensitive IEMs.
The main star of this product is the volume control. It´s amazing: perfect channel balance and still a nice mechanical feeling. Comparisons to volume pots aren´t fair, there´s no comparison at all. The 30 volume steps are a lot for portable use considering input voltage will be lower. Its main competition is the HRT MicroStreamer/AudioQuest DragonFly´s volume control where the system volume settings determines the analog resistors (this also has good channel balance). The Meier Audio solution is more advanced: with system volume control you can easily accidentally push volume to max with one misclick and get 120+ dB from your IEMs. As the PCStep has a volume pot (without its downsides) it won´t be as easy to accidentally get too high volumes, although of course you still have to be careful as with any headphone amplifier. To me this is a major plus and the best volume control system in the market for highly sensitive/low ohm IEMs.
PS: I have a Concerto for a weekend loan here too!
Edited by vrln - 3/22/13 at 2:06am