Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Onkyo's FIRST Step into Portable Audio Bandwagon! Impressions/Comments/Thoughts Welcome!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo's FIRST Step into Portable Audio Bandwagon! Impressions/Comments/Thoughts Welcome! - Page 2

post #16 of 57
The hf300 has a 14.3mm driver!! The Monoprice 8320 has been dethroned! I have faith in Onkyo products as well, and this looks promising. I am keeping a close watch on all these great new IEMs....
post #17 of 57

Got my eyes on some of these...

post #18 of 57

Tyl has reviewed them (that's how I heard about them just now):

 

 

I'm very, very interested in these. I've found some es fc300's for $116, so I'm very strongly considering jumping on some as I need a portable solution right now. The one thing I'm worried about is comfort, with it being on-ear. Can anybody comment on this?

post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post
 

Tyl has reviewed them (that's how I heard about them just now):

 

 

I'm very, very interested in these. I've found some es fc300's for $116, so I'm very strongly considering jumping on some as I need a portable solution right now. The one thing I'm worried about is comfort, with it being on-ear. Can anybody comment on this?

 

your seeing it for that cheap?!! jump on that now!! for 116$ that sounds like a good deal, everywhere else i see it as 149 or 179..

 

if i was in your position i would pull the trigger! only if its white or black though haha not a fan of the purple.

 

but white looks fantastic!!

post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

 

your seeing it for that cheap?!! jump on that now!! for 116$ that sounds like a good deal, everywhere else i see it as 149 or 179..

 

if i was in your position i would pull the trigger! only if its white or black though haha not a fan of the purple.

 

but white looks fantastic!!

 

I spoke a little soon, the postage is $40 so the prices are quite normal. It's still the cheapest I've found it in Australia. I pulled the trigger on the ES-HF300 last night, $195 registered shipping included. I wanted black anyway, but much prefer the look of the nicer cable. I'll give my impressions when I get it.

post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post
 

 

I spoke a little soon, the postage is $40 so the prices are quite normal. It's still the cheapest I've found it in Australia. I pulled the trigger on the ES-HF300 last night, $195 registered shipping included. I wanted black anyway, but much prefer the look of the nicer cable. I'll give my impressions when I get it.

 

sounds good! what colour did you get?

 

i'm in love with the white but now after looking at it closely the underside of headband is all white and so are the earpads 

 

if their spending anytime around my neck their gonna discolor... =( and because its white any little bit shows, if only the earpads are black and the underside of the headband is black

 

more contrast =) not just all 1 tone colour

 

just my 2cents

post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

 

sounds good! what colour did you get?

 

i'm in love with the white but now after looking at it closely the underside of headband is all white and so are the earpads 

 

if their spending anytime around my neck their gonna discolor... =( and because its white any little bit shows, if only the earpads are black and the underside of the headband is black

 

more contrast =) not just all 1 tone colour

 

just my 2cents

 

The HF version only comes in black, so that's what I got. The red cable of the FC version is nice too, though. Purple isn't to my taste, however my girlfriend would probably like them, she's into purple. I'm not big into white headphones, not because I don't like the colour (I do) but the staining issues you've mentioned. Black is just as good looking to me, and far safer choice because of that.

post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post
 

 

The HF version only comes in black, so that's what I got. The red cable of the FC version is nice too, though. Purple isn't to my taste, however my girlfriend would probably like them, she's into purple. I'm not big into white headphones, not because I don't like the colour (I do) but the staining issues you've mentioned. Black is just as good looking to me, and far safer choice because of that.

 

oh you went for the "better" cable.. aesthetically it looks nice but according even tyll he said he doesn't really hear a difference.. i wonder if its more durable. i find flat cables to be really weak, they reduce tangles but don't last long at all. 

 

if you can do you think u can take a picture of the jack plug into a smartphone ( tyll said its really short) i have a case for my iphone(rarely use for music) as i have my itouch and fiio e6 but it would be nice if it fit my iphone with case

post #24 of 57

Yeah, I went for the "better" cable, haha. Whilst I do trust Tyl's judgement about the sound, I do think they're that much nicer aesthetically than the red one. I also saw somebody who said when they did an A-B comparison that the more expensive cable did sound a little more open. That's apparently what Onkyo claim, and given their reputation I'm much more likely to believe them than somebody like Monster or Bose. So hopefully I might get some placebo performance out of it :beyersmile: Either way, I'm a detail freak so the much nicer design will justify it for me. It's cheaper to buy it included, too. It's sold for 50-60 dollars on it's own, and I could afford the "better" version off the bat so I decided what the hell.

 

And sure, I'll post a few pictures up when I get them, including the jack plugged into my phone for you to drool over.

post #25 of 57

I have the in ear IE-FC300 with a white cable (I didn't feel like paying 30% more for the higher end cable option).  I have always liked Onkyo and bought these on a whim because I'd already decided the new KEF M200 would be too large for my ear.  That's the start of the irony.  The IE-FC-300 is also large and comes with the worst tips I've ever experienced.  I've never done so much tip rolling with an IEM in my life.  Eventually settling on Sony Hybrids I achieve a decent seal but never great comfort.  Sound is bass oriented with a deep sub-bass component.  Notes takes some time to decay and the overall sound signature is very soft.  There's detail in there but you have to listen carefully for it.

 

Note: This sounds terrible out of the Sansa Clip and I have to bump gain on my DX50 to make them happy.  So far they sound best out of the HRT Headstreamer.

 

I was considering writing a more detailed full review later on, but off the top of my head at this price point I prefer the RE-400 and for a tiny bit more the GR07 MK2.  I just got the latter and it's impressing the heck out of me (for $130).

 

P.S. Build quality is excellent, the IE-FC300 appear to be very durable (and a little heavy in the ear); the linguini style cable, while still producing average microphonics seems strong and does not tangle easily.

post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviltooth View Post
 

I have the in ear IE-FC300 with a white cable (I didn't feel like paying 30% more for the higher end cable option).  I have always liked Onkyo and bought these on a whim because I'd already decided the new KEF M200 would be too large for my ear.  That's the start of the irony.  The IE-FC-300 is also large and comes with the worst tips I've ever experienced.  I've never done so much tip rolling with an IEM in my life.  Eventually settling on Sony Hybrids I achieve a decent seal but never great comfort.  Sound is bass oriented with a deep sub-bass component.  Notes takes some time to decay and the overall sound signature is very soft.  There's detail in there but you have to listen carefully for it.

 

Note: This sounds terrible out of the Sansa Clip and I have to bump gain on my DX50 to make them happy.  So far they sound best out of the HRT Headstreamer.

 

I was considering writing a more detailed full review later on, but off the top of my head at this price point I prefer the RE-400 and for a tiny bit more the GR07 MK2.  I just got the latter and it's impressing the heck out of me (for $130).

 

P.S. Build quality is excellent, the IE-FC300 appear to be very durable (and a little heavy in the ear); the linguini style cable, while still producing average microphonics seems strong and does not tangle easily.

 

oh so the ie fc300 needs some amping eh? thats okay with me 

 

but from the design it looks huge 14.3 mm drivers, it looks like the fidelio s1 from phillips in the way where it sits shallowly in the ear. looks like its not good for isolation. could you confirm? is it enough for transit use?

 

i actually have the re400s i think their fantastic! the stock double flange fit me perfectly on those. 

 

you have the gr07mk2? hows the treble on those? i heard the mk1 is a bit siblant the mk2 rounded it off a bit

 

but i think the detachable cable is a good idea for them! that itself is a fantastic deal. i will await more reviews from onkyo products. As of right now i will not be buying any more headphones. Head-fi really drained my wallet since i made my account. =( (6 iems(2really bad cheapies, but still 2) and 2 overears ) too 

post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

 

oh so the ie fc300 needs some amping eh? thats okay with me 

 

but from the design it looks huge 14.3 mm drivers, it looks like the fidelio s1 from phillips in the way where it sits shallowly in the ear. looks like its not good for isolation. could you confirm? is it enough for transit use?

 

i actually have the re400s i think their fantastic! the stock double flange fit me perfectly on those. 

 

you have the gr07mk2? hows the treble on those? i heard the mk1 is a bit siblant the mk2 rounded it off a bit

 

but i think the detachable cable is a good idea for them! that itself is a fantastic deal. i will await more reviews from onkyo products. As of right now i will not be buying any more headphones. Head-fi really drained my wallet since i made my account. =( (6 iems(2really bad cheapies, but still 2) and 2 overears ) too 

 

They sit shallowly in the ear and isolation is definitely below average.  The IE FC300 would be a poor choice for transit.

 

I've only had a short time with the GR07 MK2 so far so I don't feel ready to make a definitive pronouncement regarding sibiliance.  My first impressions is it's there but seems very, very minor.  Though I'm not usually a believer in burn in I will give the benefit of the doubt to dynamic drivers so they might smooth more over time.

post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviltooth View Post
 

 

They sit shallowly in the ear and isolation is definitely below average.  The IE FC300 would be a poor choice for transit.

 

I've only had a short time with the GR07 MK2 so far so I don't feel ready to make a definitive pronouncement regarding sibiliance.  My first impressions is it's there but seems very, very minor.  Though I'm not usually a believer in burn in I will give the benefit of the doubt to dynamic drivers so they might smooth more over time.

 

good to know! we'll be waiting for your impressions

post #29 of 57

To everyone thinking of an IE FC300 purchase:  Be prepared to try a hell of a lot of tips.  I've lost count of how many I've wrestled on to these things.  I keep getting a trade off between comfort and sound.  To full enjoy the deep bass extension this IEM offers you need a tip with a wide bore.

post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviltooth View Post
 

To everyone thinking of an IE FC300 purchase:  Be prepared to try a hell of a lot of tips.  I've lost count of how many I've wrestled on to these things.  I keep getting a trade off between comfort and sound.  To full enjoy the deep bass extension this IEM offers you need a tip with a wide bore.

 

i find the hi fiman re400 bilanges have the a wide bore... but oddly imo i think wide bore tips give the most even balenced sounds. 

 

off topic sorta but on my re400s i tried the stock and the sony hybrids (much narrower opening)

 

the sony hybrid tips are warmer sound, more emphasis on the midbass and lower, to mid treble 

 

while wide bore opens up the mids

 

i tried this with both my re400s and my monster turbines.. same result ( it made my turbines less bassy) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Onkyo's FIRST Step into Portable Audio Bandwagon! Impressions/Comments/Thoughts Welcome!