Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Have a $500 credit, help me pick!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have a $500 credit, help me pick!

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

I've been a longtime observer, first time poster.
I currently have a Audioengine D1 and a pair of their A2's for my office.
I wanted to get some good cans so I can listen to stuff at a more moderate volume without bothering my neighbors at work.

I have a $500 Credit at guitar center so I can get anything they have, it's just limited to their site.
So here's what they got, if you can give me your top 2 choices I would really appreciate it.
And for what it's worth I will be picking up a Schiit amp pretty soon.

Sennheiser 650's
Sony MRR-7520
AKG Q701
AKG K267
Beyer's DT880
Shure SRH940

I listen to everything except country and hiphop.
I lean towards flat and neutral.

Help me out. Don't everyone vote on the 650's at once. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by desiknow - 3/13/13 at 3:51pm
post #2 of 26

I'd pick up something easily resold for my 500 and then buy headphones elsewhere.

post #3 of 26
Those Q701s will not lend themselves to work if you're worried about bothering your neighbors.

Be aware that GC will price match Amazon as well.
post #4 of 26

Hmm ... $500 at the Guitar Center?  Since they sell the Mogami 2534 Quad Neglex by the linear foot for $1.08, how about nearly 462 linear feet of headphone cable?  This also depends on your state tax rate as you'll have to select less l.f. to be able to wedge your sales taxes into the $500 figure.

 

Best of luck !

post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
You guys are killing me!
How about picking one of the selections above.
post #6 of 26

I'd go for the 650 if I had to pick off that list. Although, I prefer the HD600/580.

post #7 of 26

How close are the people around you at work? Also, is it noisy at all there or really quiet?

post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
Yeah I have my own office with a door. Headphone bleeding is okay.
Headphones at a perceived 7 or 8 is okay, speakers at 7 or 8 is not okay. smily_headphones1.gif

It's perfectly fine if I crack some cans that are open back.
Edited by desiknow - 3/13/13 at 6:14pm
post #9 of 26

Then I'd say Q701 or HD650. You can search here on head-fi to read comparisons and decide which will suit your tastes better. The HD650 is probably the safer choice since it's got a bit more bass and is warmer/darker sounding. I prefer the Q701 though for many reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiknow View Post

Yeah I have my own office with a door. Headphone bleeding is okay.
Headphones at a perceived 7 or 8 is okay, speakers at 7 or 8 is not okay. smily_headphones1.gif
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiknow View Post

Hey guys,

I've been a longtime observer, first time poster.
I currently have a Audioengine D1 and a pair of their A2's for my office.
I wanted to get some good cans so I can listen to stuff at a more moderate volume without bothering my neighbors at work.

I have a $500 Credit at guitar center so I can get anything they have, it's just limited to their site.
So here's what they got, if you can give me your top 2 choices I would really appreciate it.
And for what it's worth I will be picking up a Schiit amp pretty soon.

Sennheiser 650's
Sony MRR-7520
AKG Q701
AKG K267
Beyer's DT880
Shure SRH940

I listen to everything except country and hiphop.
I lean towards flat and neutral.

Help me out. Don't everyone vote on the 650's at once. smily_headphones1.gif

you will overpay for the hd650 razordog will sell this for 350.00 shipped. Buy a Guitar. LOL just kidding you.  Maybe you can see if you can sell the credit to someone on headfi that likes that store for a discount of course.

post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

I'd go for the 650 if I had to pick off that list. Although, I prefer the HD600/580.

 

Chris,

 

Take your sights off the 580.  Go for the HD-600 instead.  The 580 is a good headphone, but tends to run about $175.  Meanwhile, there was just a pair of HD-600s that sold for the upper $100s on the forum here less than a week ago.  It makes for a much better headphone for just a few bucks more.  I've owned two pair of 580s and then the HD-650 and the HD-600.  I like the HD-600 a lot and that is the one I've kept.

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

you will overpay for the hd650 razordog will sell this for 350.00 shipped. Buy a Guitar. LOL just kidding you.  Maybe you can see if you can sell the credit to someone on headfi that likes that store for a discount of course.

 

Yes, that's a great idea.  I see lots of people selling $200 worth of Best Buy credit on Craigslist for $160 - $175.  Your money will go further outside with other vendors.  However, as others indicated, Guitar Center will price match Amazon and legit Internet vendors.  I've had them add in the shipping costs after a price match and then I've had others just honor the price itself and forget the shipping costs.  Then, I just had to pay sales taxes on top of that to get the item.

post #13 of 26

You said that you prefer a sound that is flat and neutral. The two on your list that come closest to that are the Beyer's or the AKG701's. Neither are totally flat but both come pretty close, if you really like bass I'd lean toward the Beyers, I think you would like either. Will they let you listen to them before you buy?
 

post #14 of 26

The DT880 are highly recommended if they sell 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm version and with good AMPsnthey realy shine and after that K701, HD650 are great too but they need heavy amplification to show there best.

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Chris,

 

Take your sights off the 580.  Go for the HD-600 instead.  The 580 is a good headphone, but tends to run about $175.  Meanwhile, there was just a pair of HD-600s that sold for the upper $100s on the forum here less than a week ago.  It makes for a much better headphone for just a few bucks more.  I've owned two pair of 580s and then the HD-650 and the HD-600.  I like the HD-600 a lot and that is the one I've kept.

I already have some 580s :P They are on my head. I picked em up off craigslist for 115, they need some new pads, but the headphones themselves are in good shape. I liked them more than the 650 the guy had, so it was a no-brainer to pick them up.

Do you really feel the 600 sounds much different? I'll have to demo a pair sometime, somewhere to compare the two. I figured they were the same, and I actually preferred the plain finish of the 580s to the marble finish of the 600.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Have a $500 credit, help me pick!