Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Compatible mobile Amps/Dacs for the iPhone 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Compatible mobile Amps/Dacs for the iPhone 5 - Page 3

post #31 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp9723 View Post

I found this article and it says that the lightning to 30pin cable will work for analog out. Has anyone confirmed this? So does this mean i can plug the lightning to 30pin connector into my iPhone 5 and the 30pin to usb connector that comes with the HP-P1 into the lightning to 30 and the music will bypass the internal dac in the phone and instead use the external dac?

 

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/lightning-30-pin-adapter-works-with-analog-audio-ipod-out-doe/

No...it supports analog out. Meaning you could probably go adapter => LOD => external amp, but an external DAC requires a digital signal, and it clearly states analog. Even if you did go the LOD method, you would probably get inferior sound than the headphone jack to an amp, as the DAC in the adapter probably sucks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp9723 View Post

Also what is an LOD. Yes i'm a newb. but now i have some sr80i i want to go straight to the top and get some RS1i's but first i want to get the best sound i can out of my sr80i's thats why I'm looking into dac's. or maybe just get a high end cd player with built in dac's.

An LOD is an adapter (usually referring to ones for Apple products, though they exist for others) that bypasses the internal amp of the device. This avoids double-amping the signal (between the internal amp of the device, and the external amp you bought) It plugs into the dock connector and provides a 3.5mm audio jack. It won't allow you to use a DAC-for that you need to get a DAC certified by Apple (common for devices with the older 30-pin connector, this thread is about the iPhone 5 and presumably the iPod Touch 5 and the iPod Nano 7 as well) Also, all devices have built in DACs and amps-the DAC turns a music file into an analog signal for headphones, and the amp puts it at the correct power for your volume. Some devices, whether high-end portable players, or CD players, have better DACs/amps built in.

 

And if no one has said it yet, welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet. 

post #32 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp9723 View Post

I found this article and it says that the lightning to 30pin cable will work for analog out. Has anyone confirmed this? So does this mean i can plug the lightning to 30pin connector into my iPhone 5 and the 30pin to usb connector that comes with the HP-P1 into the lightning to 30 and the music will bypass the internal dac in the phone and instead use the external dac?

 

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/lightning-30-pin-adapter-works-with-analog-audio-ipod-out-doe/

 

LOD is abbr. for "Line out Dock". It's a cable that take line out signal from iDevice connector directly. It bypass the internal AMP section but still an analog signal.

 

Lightning port is digital only but lightning adaptor has DAC chip build-in to it. It can convert digital signal send out from lightning port to analog. If your external DAC is compatible with iAP, it'll bypass the DAC in lightning adaptor and send out digital signal to your external DAC.

 

 

 

This is my short USB to microUSB cable with lightning adaptor connected to my Go-Dap X (Similar to HP-P1). 

post #33 of 123

Ah ok thanks for the reply's. I'm thinking I'll go with a desktop dac and dedicated class a headphone amp to start my audiophilia and then after that I will look more into a portable set up and maybe by that time they will have a few more dac's that with support a regular iphone 5 lightning plug. I can definitely see how this hobby can put a dent in your wallet.

post #34 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp9723 View Post

Ah ok thanks for the reply's. I'm thinking I'll go with a desktop dac and dedicated class a headphone amp to start my audiophilia and then after that I will look more into a portable set up and maybe by that time they will have a few more dac's that with support a regular iphone 5 lightning plug. I can definitely see how this hobby can put a dent in your wallet.

Sounds wise. Something to consider with dedicated desktop DACs-analog cables are a hotly debated topic (whether expensive ones are worth it) I find, however, with a USB cable for a desktop DAC, that RFI causes the music to skip and drop out with cheap printer cables. I'd recommend that you expect to need a $20-$30 well shielded cable for the DAC.

post #35 of 123

ok thanks for the tip

post #36 of 123

So does this mean to bypass the i5 amp I can use Lightning to 30-pin -> Fiio L9 LOD -> cMoyBB -> To headphones?

post #37 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicPwn View Post

So does this mean to bypass the i5 amp I can use Lightning to 30-pin -> Fiio L9 LOD -> cMoyBB -> To headphones?

 

You bypassed the internal amp of iPhone 5, but get stuck with the internal amp inside the Lightning-to-30pins adapter. Don't you think that is just too much of a hassle with little to show for?

post #38 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

You bypassed the internal amp of iPhone 5, but get stuck with the internal amp inside the Lightning-to-30pins adapter. Don't you think that is just too much of a hassle with little to show for?

Hmm so no way to actually bypass the amp like with the 30 pin connector? Wonder whats stopping someone from making one.

post #39 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicPwn View Post

Hmm so no way to actually bypass the amp like with the 30 pin connector? Wonder whats stopping someone from making one.

 

That will be the Apple MFi program that denies most companies from accessing Apple special coded hardware and the authentication chip you can't buy unless you get the MFi licensing first. Those are the reason why Lightning connector enabled DAC like Go-DAP, Sony PHA-1 or CLAS cost so much in the first place.


Edited by ClieOS - 5/1/13 at 11:09pm
post #40 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

That will be the Apple MFi program that denies most companies from accessing Apple special coded hardware and the authentication chip you can't buy unless you get the MFi licensing first. Those are the reason why Lightning connector enabled DAC like Go-DAP, Sony PHA-1 or CLAS cost so much in the first place.

Makes me want to get a different mobile music playing device. Apple is always so strict, which I do NOT like.

post #41 of 123
Hi all

I want to share these cables for iPhone 5 and androids

Left : micro to micro usb for android / for go dap x

In the middle : apple adapter from 30 pin to lightning

Right : micro USB to lightning for go dap x

post #42 of 123

The right appears to be full USB, not micro.

post #43 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

You bypassed the internal amp of iPhone 5, but get stuck with the internal amp inside the Lightning-to-30pins adapter. Don't you think that is just too much of a hassle with little to show for?
I didn't realize there was an internal amp in the lightning-to-30pin adapter. I already have a CLAS and was looking for a all-in-one solution. I'll wait till they launch the ADL X1 here in Singapore
post #44 of 123
There is not an internal amp in the adapter, the is a DAC in the lightning to 30 pin connector. So the lightning to 30 pin adapter should bypass the amp of the iPhone 5. The question then becomes how does the quality of the DAC in the adapter compare to the quality of the DAC built into to the iPhone and do you benefit from not double amping the signal through the headphone jack.
post #45 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcocoabeach View Post

There is not an internal amp in the adapter, the is a DAC in the lightning to 30 pin connector. So the lightning to 30 pin adapter should bypass the amp of the iPhone 5. The question then becomes how does the quality of the DAC in the adapter compare to the quality of the DAC built into to the iPhone and do you benefit from not double amping the signal through the headphone jack.

Sorry about that, I do mean to say 'DAC' originally.

 

But as to how the adapter DAC compare to the headphone-out, I already did a comparison a while ago between it and Nano 7G headphone-out. Both measurement and audible wise, the headphone-out is better by a small margin.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Compatible mobile Amps/Dacs for the iPhone 5