Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Tascam TH-02 - Headphones waiting to be discovered??? (now Appreciation Thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tascam TH-02 - Headphones waiting to be discovered??? (now Appreciation Thread) - Page 12

post #166 of 177

I just picked up a pair of TEAC CT-H02 for 15 CAD after taxes from a physical tigerdirect.ca location, and after a few days of constant play time, plus a modification to the headband so they fit my tiny noggin, they are quite nice. Definitely need some new pads as they are also too large and don't quite seal correctly. Despite all these issues, I am developing a soft-spot for them. :) 
 

post #167 of 177
I was thinking about picking up the th-02, but I noticed that some people were complaining about a ringing at certain frequencies. My question is how bad the ringing really is and is it all that necessary to mod the headphones?
post #168 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quala96 View Post

I was thinking about picking up the th-02, but I noticed that some people were complaining about a ringing at certain frequencies. My question is how bad the ringing really is and is it all that necessary to mod the headphones?

Ringing is not much audible. Plus, it is due to the driver, which is not very well addressed by a mod.

post #169 of 177
Ok thanks, I think I'll pick these up then.
post #170 of 177
Looks like The Source may have their own version of these in their Headrush series. Haven't tested them, but from that I can see everything looks to be identical to the Tascam, minus the driver housing. Its semi open as well ( in person you can just barely see the wires through the mesh).
post #171 of 177

Just found out about them thanks to Sonic Sense Pro Audio. Will buy as soon as I get $.

 

https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/tascam-th-02?in=sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test


Edited by KlarkKentThe3rd - 11/8/14 at 4:59pm
post #172 of 177

Just got them in the mail. Sound amazing for the price, fairly close to ATH M40x which I returned, but less detailed (obviously), less neutral (on that below), but more warm (a big plus).

 

Sound:

 

Upper bass seems to be slightly recessed, the mids are just fine, the lower highs are a bit grainy (but not too much). Soundstage is decent, stereo imaging is good, clarity good as well. This is one of those headphones where the driver has to be as close as possible to the ear to sound its best, and the more millimeters you move it away, the more canned they sound (pressed against the head is optimal, but who does that for hours on end, right?) The default (how it sits naturally) is fine.

 

Build quality:

 

Cheap plastic, rather cheap pads, cheap headband, but doesn't looks like it will fall apart anytime soon. The cable is decent, but way too long (3 meters). There is an adapter included.

 

Comfort:

 

As expected at this price point, the pads will warm up your ears after 30 minutes or an hour, but not too much. I wouldn't wear them on a hot summer day, BUT they are ideal for winter, when you WANT your ears to be warm. The headband is soft enough, and the top of my head feels just fine. The (°_°)phones are relatively light, which is a plus.

 

 

Conclusion:

 

If you want something cheap and fairly neutral to wear outside, WITHOUT the fear of breaking something expensive, buy these.

 

 

My own thoughts:

 

Tascam should make an improved version of this, with even flatter response, better pads, better plastic, and removable cable. Price it at about 50-60 dollars, and it will be well worth the price. Plus, on Amazon it will be down to 30-40 in a few months after release.

 

 

P.S. Listening from my Apple laptop instead of iPod reduced the graininess of the highs to some degree.


Edited by KlarkKentThe3rd - 11/11/14 at 6:11pm
post #173 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlarkKentThe3rd View Post
 

Just got them in the mail. Sound amazing for the price, fairly close to ATH M40x which I returned, but less detailed (obviously), less neutral (on that below), but more warm (a big plus).

 

Sound:

 

Upper bass seems to be slightly recessed, the mids are just fine, the lower highs are a bit grainy (but not too much). Soundstage is decent, stereo imaging is good, clarity good as well. This is one of those headphones where the driver has to be as close as possible to the ear to sound its best, and the more millimeters you move it away, the more canned they sound (pressed against the head is optimal, but who does that for hours on end, right?) The default (how it sits naturally) is fine.

 

Build quality:

 

Cheap plastic, rather cheap pads, cheap headband, but doesn't looks like it will fall apart anytime soon. The cable is decent, but way too long (3 meters). There is an adapter included.

 

Comfort:

 

As expected at this price point, the pads will warm up your ears after 30 minutes or an hour, but not too much. I wouldn't wear them on a hot summer day, BUT they are ideal for winter, when you WANT your ears to be warm. The headband is soft enough, and the top of my head feels just fine. The (°_°)phones are relatively light, which is a plus.

 

 

Conclusion:

 

If you want something cheap and fairly neutral to wear outside, WITHOUT the fear of breaking something expensive, buy these.

 

 

My own thoughts:

 

Tascam should make an improved version of this, with even flatter response, better pads, better plastic, and removable cable. Price it at about 50-60 dollars, and it will be well worth the price. Plus, on Amazon it will be down to 30-40 in a few months after release.

 

 

P.S. Listening from my Apple laptop instead of iPod reduced the graininess of the highs to some degree.


Hi Klark & all other Tascam TH-02 owners,

i've been looking at the Koss dj100/200 and others around the $80/£50 mark,

Shall i just save myself a wad of cash and buy these and the Koss KSC75 for walkabout?

 

"fairly close to ATH M40x"  ? Really, those are about £100. i can import these for about $13!

post #174 of 177
post #175 of 177

Taming the Tascam TH-02

 

  • Foldable Design for Easy Compact Transport
  • Tightly-Stitched, Padded Headband and Ear Pads for Stylish Comfort
  • Closed-Back Dynamic Design with Clean Sound, Rich Bass Response and Crisp Highs
  • Snap-on 1/8” (3.5mm) to 1/4” (6.3mm) Adapter
  • Driver Diameter: 50mm
  • Impedance: 32 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 98 dB ± 3
  • Frequency Response: 18 Hz – 22 kHz
  • Max Power: 600 mW
  • Cable Length: About 9.8ft (3m) when fully extended

 

I received the headphone yesterday, which was $14.99 with free shipping minus a $5.00 rebate = $9.99.

 

Built for someone with a head the size of a round watermelon with small-medium ears. The headband could easily be 1" shorter, in order to fit the majority of heads.  The sound is good and the build quality is good...all fairly sturdy plastic.  Headband padding is sufficient to prevent discomfort.  No problems noted with the cord or the snap on 1/4" adapter.  The ear pads are adequate.  Clamping force is perfect for me.

 

The outer cover over the speakers (labeled 'Tascam TH-02') is held on with three snap tabs. I released the bottom snap tab by inserting a metal nail file, creating a semi-open, rather than closed back headphone.  This seemed to open up the soundstage and make the bass better defined. I glued a Sennheiser HD580/HD600 headband cushion (mfg# 549375) to the center one-third of the Tascam using silicon adhesive (can be removed, if so desired later).  I only used the adhesive on the central one-half of the cushion so that it wouldn't strain it when opening up the headphone to put it on my head.  Rolling up a piece of 'minky' material or attaching a thick strip of memory foam (or a combination of the two) would be another way to sufficiently pad the headband so the it actually rests ON your non-watermelon head, rather than wobble around up in the air, above your head.

 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sennheiser+hd580&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

 

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Foam-Headband-HD600-HD580/dp/B00J80IMJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419172822&sr=8-1&keywords=549375

 

If you have large ears this will not be a truly circumaural (over the ear) headphone, as portions of the pads will rest on your ears.

 

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/What-are-circumaural-headphones

 

CONCLUSION:

 

This can be a very good, inexpensive headphone with a couple of tweaks and should be on the list for anyone on a budget looking for good bang-for-the-buck.

 

EDIT:

Snapped the cover closed and replaced the ear pads with HM5 (oval/well-padded)....sounds better and feels better now.  4.5/5 for value after tweaks.  A 3/5 before tweaks.


Edited by cdeviney - 12/22/14 at 8:48am
post #176 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjitb View Post
 


Hi Klark & all other Tascam TH-02 owners,

i've been looking at the Koss dj100/200 and others around the $80/£50 mark,

Shall i just save myself a wad of cash and buy these and the Koss KSC75 for walkabout?

 

"fairly close to ATH M40x"  ? Really, those are about £100. i can import these for about $13!


I was considering Koss ProDJ, BUT... the headband when unfolded is flat, and sits at the very top of the skull. Plus, the cups need to be replaced, and an amplifier is needed to make them sound good. I'd say go with Portapro if closed design is not a must. I am going to buy those the moment I have enough dollars to spend. I owned one pair of KSC75, but the highs sounded really dry and grainy.

 

Also, speaking of TH-02. The cable at the base of the jack is starting to break. In less than two months even! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL


Edited by KlarkKentThe3rd - 12/21/14 at 8:06am
post #177 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlarkKentThe3rd View Post
 


I was considering Koss ProDJ, BUT... the headband when unfolded is flat, and sits at the very top of the skull. Plus, the cups need to be replaced, and an amplifier is needed to make them sound good. I'd say go with Portapro if closed design is not a must. I am going to buy those the moment I have enough dollars to spend. I owned one pair of KSC75, but the highs sounded really dry and grainy.

 

Also, speaking of TH-02. The cable at the base of the jack is starting to break. In less than two months even! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL


Hi KK3rd, thanks for the reply,

I've already bought and returned a set of UE 6000's since this was posted (too bass/jumpy for me), now i'm thinking the tascam's may not even be worth the punt. Gone off the Koss dj100.

Its a shame you didn't like the KSC75's, i heard they use the same drivers as the pro's and were ok. But at $15/£15 they were never going to be world beaters.

I'm Considering the AKG 550's for closed (no amp) or AKG 612/Q701/ Beyer 990 (expense of an amp for allthese, too much really).

I want something for home listening Music & TV but only have a AVR rig, so was considering Pioneer SE-A1000 but they're bass heavey and not top notch (apparantly).

 

Hoping to find a bargain for these or something else in the post christmas sales.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Tascam TH-02 - Headphones waiting to be discovered??? (now Appreciation Thread)